PJ to CRO process

crackerjack

Unverified
Howdy everyone. So I've been interested in pararescue for a while, but I've been struggling with the ever-present PJ vs CRO decision. I think the easiest way to ask this question will be with a hypothetical situation. Let's say A1C John goes through the pipeline and graduates. A1C John then decides that he would like to be an officer, so he goes to OTS and gains a commision. Will 2nd Lt John be required to go through the pipeline all over again? Is it guaranteed that he'll be able to commision as a CRO, or is it possible that the Air Force will take him out of the career field altogether? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question is confusing.

It's not a confusing question. So, along with being a really cool dude with great hair, I am also currently at the schoolhouse and intimately involved with the CRO/PJ crosstraining selections (called "assessments and selections"). I say this for 2 reasons- 1, to make sure you know how cool I am. And 2, so you have a frame of reference for the information I am gonna lay out.

If A1C John wants to commission, he applies for the CRO process, involving a Phase I (paper packet) and Phase II (Assessment and Selection). If he makes it out of Phase I, he attends Phase II, or CROAS. CROAS is a 7 day mini-indoc, meant to select only the most physically fit combat leaders (or those that have the potential to be combat leaders). Along with physical evaluations, there are psychological evaluations, boards, and other events meant to holistically evaluate CRO candidates, including PJ's that want to be CROs.

If selected out of CROAS, A1C John completes any necessary school for his degree, and attends his commissioning source (OTS).

This is a nuance that some people don't understand fully- but Combat Rescue Officer and Pararescue are different career fields. While a lot of the things we do are the same (shoot, move, communicate, employ) they are two distinct career fields and require different Initial Qualification Training. Just as a PJ isn't a CRO (and vice verse), CROs attend their apprentice course, run concurrently with the PJ Apprentice course.

I only tell you that to say; if a CRO were to somehow get selected from CROAS, commission, report to Kirtland AFB (apprentice courses) and then fail out of the course (I have never even heard of that happening), then I assume he would be at the needs of the Air Force for where he goes next. That's honestly a guess, like I said, I don't think it's ever happened.

Short answer- no, PJs going CRO don't go through the entire pipeline over again, they attend CRO specific SERE courses and the CRO Apprentice course, and they're selected and guaranteed to be a CRO (as long as they don't fail out of the course at some point).

For more information on both career fields, check out How To Be A PJ on all social (Instagram, FB, web site).

Hope I helped.

I only tell you that to say; if a CRO were to somehow get selected from CROAS, commission, report to Kirtland AFB (apprentice courses) and then fail out of the course (I have never even heard of that happening), then I assume he would be at the needs of the Air Force for where he goes next. That's honestly a guess, like I said, I don't think it's ever happened.

Hope I helped.

A CRO who failed still is a commissioned officer, and yes, would go needs of the Air Force. A lot would depend on why he/she failed.

It's not a confusing question. So, along with being a really cool dude with great hair, I am also currently at the schoolhouse and intimately involved with the CRO/PJ crosstraining selections (called "assessments and selections"). I say this for 2 reasons- 1, to make sure you know how cool I am. And 2, so you have a frame of reference for the information I am gonna lay out.

If A1C John wants to commission, he applies for the CRO process, involving a Phase I (paper packet) and Phase II (Assessment and Selection). If he makes it out of Phase I, he attends Phase II, or CROAS. CROAS is a 7 day mini-indoc, meant to select only the most physically fit combat leaders (or those that have the potential to be combat leaders). Along with physical evaluations, there are psychological evaluations, boards, and other events meant to holistically evaluate CRO candidates, including PJ's that want to be CROs.

If selected out of CROAS, A1C John completes any necessary school for his degree, and attends his commissioning source (OTS).

This is a nuance that some people don't understand fully- but Combat Rescue Officer and Pararescue are different career fields. While a lot of the things we do are the same (shoot, move, communicate, employ) they are two distinct career fields and require different Initial Qualification Training. Just as a PJ isn't a CRO (and vice verse), CROs attend their apprentice course, run concurrently with the PJ Apprentice course.

Short answer- no, PJs going CRO don't go through the entire pipeline over again, they attend CRO specific SERE courses and the CRO Apprentice course, and they're selected and guaranteed to be a CRO (as long as they don't fail out of the course at some point).

For more information on both career fields, check out How To Be A PJ on all social (Instagram, FB, web site).

Hope I helped.

"Being a really cool dude with great hair" is 98% of professional success in the military.

In all seriousness though, thanks for all the help guys. I didn't think CRO's would have to go through the whole pipeline again, but it never hurts to be certain.

"Being a really cool dude with great hair" is 98% of professional success in the military.

Adding to your comment....it doesn’t matter how well you do your job as long as you look good while you do it. I’ve learned that holding a clipboard is about the best way to look like you got your shit together!

:ROFLMAO:BWAHAHAHAHAHA!:ROFLMAO:
Okay, now that we've got 'that' out of our systems....let's all agree that PJ's (and maybe SEAL's) have the best hair and look the coolest.

- Mod Request -
That said, back on topic please....

Unless you are qualified to speak to the OP's specific question, please refrain from posting in this thread.

In all seriousness though, thanks for all the help guys. I didn't think CRO's would have to go through the whole pipeline again, but it never hurts to be certain.
I would suggest focusing on the 25m target, which (per your intro) is getting a degree, entering/completing a commissioning program (May I suggest ROTC).

I would suggest focusing on the 25m target, which (per your intro) is getting a degree, entering/completing a commissioning program (May I suggest ROTC).
I've started my application to USAFA, but if that doesn't work out I'll either do ROTC or just enlist. Honestly, I've been considering enlisting more and more recently just because the PJ mission set appeals to me more. I don't want to end up behind a desk too soon.

AFROTC is a great option if your primary goal is to become an officer; you will subsequently lead Airmen and manage tasks. Whether you are leading finance troops or preparing the airspace for ordnance, your mission will always be to provide top cover. If SOF/hands-on/tactical level operations are your primary desire, I would consider enlistment. I don’t want to derail the thread’s main topic, and I don’t have any experience regarding enlistment, so DM me if you have any questions about ROTC.

Unless you are qualified to speak to the OP's specific question, please refrain from posting in this thread.

I don’t want to derail the thread’s main topic, and I don’t have any experience regarding enlistment, so DM me if you have any questions about ROTC.
Your read my request that only 'qualified' members continue participating in this thread and somehow came to the conclusion that your being in your first year of ROTC gives you the experience and expertise to to answer the OP's question?

Well thank you for copy/pasting the Wikipedia answer. Now....if it is okay with you, please refrain from posting anymore in this thread and let those who ACTUALLY HAVE EXPERIENCE DOING THE JOB help the OP.

Thank you.

Not AF but I will say, in general, it makes more sense/is easier to go from an E to an O. And most of the fun/high speed stuff that happens in any SOF unit is carried out at the enlisted level. And all the best O’s I’ve worked for thus far have all been prior Joes. I’d say start there and if you wanna commit later to being an O, do it.

Back