Post Progress Reports Here

DZ

Special Forces
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
There is almost 100 people in this group. I want to start seeing progress reports.

Post what you are currently doing to become a Green Beret, and what your next step is.

If you are already in the Military, also include your PT score, 12 mile ruck time (45lbs dry), 5 mile run time, and max reps pull ups.

I am going to try to ask for progress reports monthly, in order to see who is active in this group. As well as give homework.

Start be reading "The Man In The Arena" By Theodore Roosevelt, and then take some time to truly digest its meaning.

I am a 25 y/o college student graduating in December with aspirations to become a Green Beret. I alternate lifting and running throughout the week with a day off for rest.

My numbers as I am training for the APFT are 90+ push-ups, 90+ sit-ups, 20+ pull ups, and a 14min 2 mile run.

To increase my run time I am going to incorporate 400m, 300m, 200m, and 100m pyramid sprints.

I am going to start reading “The Man in the Arena” but the book I am on right now is “The Guerrilla Factory” by Tony Schwalm

Currently doing: Training hard. I'm running ~20 miles/week and rucking ~10. I am about two weeks from moving onto a new training block that will move those numbers closer to 30 and 15, respectively. I haven't tested recently for APFT numbers like AdamZ42, but I plan to at the conclusion of this current training block. I will post results in next month's progress report.

In addition I am discussing with my girlfriend which state it makes the most sense to contact about getting set up with a REP-63 contract. There are many factors, many of which are unknowns. I guess that's life though. As it stands, my current thinking is Maryland, Colorado, or Massachusetts in that order. I have accepted the fact that I may have to travel a significant distance to attend drill and other training. Any input from others about the status of the Guard SF in these states is welcome.

@DeadZeppelin "The Man in The Arena" quote is powerful. I connect to the description of the soul he describes. It is how I try to spend my life. I would rather fail striving for a higher purpose than to have never known victory or defeat. Thank you for the strong words to ponder on !

Mock APFT today. ~14:30 2 mile, 60 situps, and... 42 pushups. I did heavy bench/squat/deads yesterday but still not even really close all around. I am rucking a 12 mile tomorrow, and have my next 9 week block planned as I mentioned in my last post. After that I will retest, and I'm hoping for 60+ pushups, 75+ situps, sub 13:30 2 mile run. Still a long way to go.

Based on that one post I’d just caution you to be careful of overtraining. You just apparently did the 1000 lbs club and are planning on a 12 mile ruck tomorrow. I’m going to venture to assume that you’re not used to that kind of work load. I’m not saying you won’t do much more in the course and Group (you will), but that stuff in the long run actually breaks you down and doesn’t make you stronger, which should be your goal to improve your PT numbers for Selection. Recovery is massively important and overlooked, so just keep that in mind. Train hard, yes, but train smart.

You are right @Duke. I have a tendency to go from 0 to 60 and it has bitten me in the past. I will be sure to pay more attention to this going forward. Thank you for the reminder.

For what it's worth I ended up giving myself yesterday to rest and did the ruck this morning instead. Got out there at 4:30 AM so I could still get to work on time. Ended up with a final time of 3:38 so definite room for improvement there too. This has certainly been a humbling week. I stopped briefly at the 3 mile mark to change to a short sleeve shirt, again at 6 miles for a 5 minute rest, then again a few minutes after starting back up and realizing I absolutely should have changed my socks and addressed a few hotspots at the 6 mile mark. So I dropped my ruck and did that, which took another 5 minutes. Then one more short break at around 10 miles.

My feet are a a little sore with a few pre-blister spots, and my legs are a little tired but overall pretty good. But my shoulders... It's unclear if A) My body just isn't used to supporting a ruck with ~50# for that long, B) My ruck itself sucks (I had the waist strap fully cinched), or C) I just need to learn to suck it up a bit more. If it wasn't for my shoulders I'm confident I could have gone most of the way only stopping for my hotspots. I'm thinking it's a mix of A, B, and C. Regardless this was my first 12 mile ruck so I'm not too concerned with the time yet. The longest I had gone previously was 8 miles which I did right on time (2 hours).

On another note I'm reaching out this week to the SF recruiter about a rep-63 contract, which is exciting.

Anyway, I'm giving myself a few days to rest and then starting the next 9 week training block on Monday. I'll report back when I've got something noteworthy to share.

It's been nearly 2 months and I've had 2 guys post any kind of progress reports.

I'm not sure why I am approving so many requests to this group when almost no one posts an introduction, let alone a progress report. We may have to clean house here soon. I would like to have only serious candidates in this group.

For those of you who are serious about becoming a Green Beret, post up your progress reports. What have you done over the last month to make your goal a reality?

Homework this month: read the MoH citation for MSG Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart. These are the caliber of men you look to join. Then read the Special Forces Creed and reflect on those words. It's not just words on paper, it is how you will live your life.

Administratively, I am in the beginning process of submitting my paperwork for WVARNG's 19th detachment.
Next step is making sure I at least IST to WV (from Cali) to the support element, and get to an SFRE.

Physically, I am working with a coach, and running a concurrent UBRR training program. Score is 1211, with my weaker points being my 5 mi run, and PU/SU (relative to UBRR scores, that is, APFT is 280+ on my worst days)
Max reps pull-ups are 19.

Over the last month, I've worked towards getting released from CAARNG.

First Progress Report:

I have been in sales jobs that has drastically halted my progress as I am sometimes here for 12+ hours or more and only have one day off. That may change soon to be honest.
I’m sure I’m far behind many of you gentlemen, especially those of you in the service, and that alone is motivation to get rolling hard and fast.
I am currently 25 years old at 198lbs standing 5’9”. A bit on the heavy side as I am generally competitive around 175-180.

I recorded my time for a comfortable one mile last week, and hit 9:30:46. Very slow I know. I’ve never been a big runner, but I do hike pretty often. I haven’t tested pushups or sit-ups in quite some time but will get that done soon.
My plan is to pick a serving job so I can work only evenings, and then follow the 14 week train up plan on GoArmySof.com for however many cycles it takes to be competitive.

In the meantime I am picking Man in the Arena and doing the other homework @Duke assigned.
My ultimate goal is to shave my mile down to 6 minutes, and get as close to maxing push-up and sit ups as possible.

I'm 22, 179lbs 5'10, currently a full time student and working full time but I work out in the mornings at the gym twice a week and running/calisthenics 4x a week.

I'm working on getting my run and ruck back down after physical therapy for a torn meniscus and a kneecap that wasn't tracking properly. My last 2 mile was around 19 minutes which was down a minute and a half from the one before it 3 weeks before so despite the time being shameful I'm happy with the progress. I hit 70 pushups and 76 situps on my last pft, I haven't tried to max pullups in awhile but I do 12-15 every morning before I get dressed with the pullup bar in my closet.

USPS says Man in the Arena will get to my house by November 1st and I'm a pretty avid reader so I'll be a good ways through it by my next post.

Thanks DZ for letting me in.

Wanting to enlist 11x -> 18x in OSUT. 6’1” 215lbs. Have always been in decent shape, but have had a few hiccups in my training the past few months. But each setback has taught me something new. Nutrition, stretching, sleep etc.

Training as been slow the past 5 weeks due to a slight shoulder injury that is getting better with rest and specific shoulder PT.

Did a mock APFT yesterday and scored a 189. I know that’s pathetic, but it will improve quickly now I can actually do more with my shoulder. Before the injury I scored 273.

I’m also wanting to lose ~20lbs and get sub 200 before shipping out. My diet isn’t crazy strict but I got a food scale to count calories and eat as clean as possible.

Ideal training is 5 days a weeks. A mix of interval training, long slow runs, and calisthenics. I don’t purposely ruck other than backpacking in the high sierras which has always been “easy” for me with my size.

I’ll attach a pic of my whiteboard with my workout plan that may help some of you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
First monthly progress report.

I'm 24, at about 6'2 and 240lbs. I have a fairly muscular build from years of weightlifting and sports, but my endurance is pretty lacking. I have more than 7 months before the earliest point I could ship out, and would like to attend an SFRE in the latter part of this coming spring.

Right now I'm focused on toughing up my feet, posterior chain, and legs, along with improving my run times...and not to mention dropping the extra weight I have packed on since undergrad. I am lucky to have two uncles that were Group guys, 5th and 7th respectively. They have been helping me a ton, but are quite removed having retired many years ago.

I have refined my focus on my diet to shed off some of my excess weight, and so far have dropped around 20lbs. I have a ways to go, but I believe I have found a groove with intermittent fasting and a keto-ish diet. Any advice from the SF guys here is welcomed of course.

I am currently doing the THOR3 14-week program, along with a few Crossfit workouts thrown in when I'm feeling froggy in the morning.

Citizenship in the Arena is actually one of my favorite speeches, and I have the "Man in the Arena" quote framed in my office.

Administratively, I am in the beginning process of submitting my paperwork for WVARNG's 19th detachment.
Next step is making sure I at least IST to WV (from Cali) to the support element, and get to an SFRE.

Physically, I am working with a coach, and running a concurrent UBRR training program. Score is 1211, with my weaker points being my 5 mi run, and PU/SU (relative to UBRR scores, that is, APFT is 280+ on my worst days)
Max reps pull-ups are 19.

Over the last month, I've worked towards getting released from CAARNG.
Sounds like you are on track physically. Don't forget to focus on rucking.

Were you able to IST?

First Progress Report:

I have been in sales jobs that has drastically halted my progress as I am sometimes here for 12+ hours or more and only have one day off. That may change soon to be honest.
I’m sure I’m far behind many of you gentlemen, especially those of you in the service, and that alone is motivation to get rolling hard and fast.
I am currently 25 years old at 198lbs standing 5’9”. A bit on the heavy side as I am generally competitive around 175-180.

I recorded my time for a comfortable one mile last week, and hit 9:30:46. Very slow I know. I’ve never been a big runner, but I do hike pretty often. I haven’t tested pushups or sit-ups in quite some time but will get that done soon.
My plan is to pick a serving job so I can work only evenings, and then follow the 14 week train up plan on GoArmySof.com for however many cycles it takes to be competitive.

In the meantime I am picking Man in the Arena and doing the other homework @Duke assigned.
My ultimate goal is to shave my mile down to 6 minutes, and get as close to maxing push-up and sit ups as possible.

Definitely work on your run times, and don't neglect rucking. Train smart and don't hurt yourself!

I'm 22, 179lbs 5'10, currently a full time student and working full time but I work out in the mornings at the gym twice a week and running/calisthenics 4x a week.

I'm working on getting my run and ruck back down after physical therapy for a torn meniscus and a kneecap that wasn't tracking properly. My last 2 mile was around 19 minutes which was down a minute and a half from the one before it 3 weeks before so despite the time being shameful I'm happy with the progress. I hit 70 pushups and 76 situps on my last pft, I haven't tried to max pullups in awhile but I do 12-15 every morning before I get dressed with the pullup bar in my closet.

USPS says Man in the Arena will get to my house by November 1st and I'm a pretty avid reader so I'll be a good ways through it by my next post.
Don't over do it after an injury like that. It's better to take it easy and recover correctly the first time than to let your ego get the best of you and injure yourself again.

Thanks DZ for letting me in.

Wanting to enlist 11x -> 18x in OSUT. 6’1” 215lbs. Have always been in decent shape, but have had a few hiccups in my training the past few months. But each setback has taught me something new. Nutrition, stretching, sleep etc.

Training as been slow the past 5 weeks due to a slight shoulder injury that is getting better with rest and specific shoulder PT.

Did a mock APFT yesterday and scored a 189. I know that’s pathetic, but it will improve quickly now I can actually do more with my shoulder. Before the injury I scored 273.

I’m also wanting to lose ~20lbs and get sub 200 before shipping out. My diet isn’t crazy strict but I got a food scale to count calories and eat as clean as possible.

Ideal training is 5 days a weeks. A mix of interval training, long slow runs, and calisthenics. I don’t purposely ruck other than backpacking in the high sierras which has always been “easy” for me with my size.

I’ll attach a pic of my whiteboard with my workout plan that may help some of you.
Don't sweat the apft score. I think I failed my first apft at basic training. Train smart and don't injure yourself. You're on the right track.

First monthly progress report.

I'm 24, at about 6'2 and 240lbs. I have a fairly muscular build from years of weightlifting and sports, but my endurance is pretty lacking. I have more than 7 months before the earliest point I could ship out, and would like to attend an SFRE in the latter part of this coming spring.

Right now I'm focused on toughing up my feet, posterior chain, and legs, along with improving my run times...and not to mention dropping the extra weight I have packed on since undergrad. I am lucky to have two uncles that were Group guys, 5th and 7th respectively. They have been helping me a ton, but are quite removed having retired many years ago.

I have refined my focus on my diet to shed off some of my excess weight, and so far have dropped around 20lbs. I have a ways to go, but I believe I have found a groove with intermittent fasting and a keto-ish diet. Any advice from the SF guys here is welcomed of course.

I am currently doing the THOR3 14-week program, along with a few Crossfit workouts thrown in when I'm feeling froggy in the morning.

Citizenship in the Arena is actually one of my favorite speeches, and I have the "Man in the Arena" quote framed in my office.
Keep doing what you're doing, it sounds like you're on the right track. Train smart and don't get hurt. Don't forget to throw in some rucking. Good luck.

Back