Question about med waivers and being a ranger

BIG NUT

Unverified
So id like to preface this with what required a waiver in the first place. I was skateboarding 6 years ago. fell. had a fracture in my lower leg. it required surgery and hardware (1 screw).
fast forward to today im in the process of getting a waiver.got everything the chief surgeon at USAREC asked for. have everything from medical records to xrays and letter from my PCP and an orthopedist stating that essentially i should be able to endure the rigors of basic and that there are no signs of abnormalities in my leg that could affect my physical capabilities. I went to MEPS earlier this week and got a 113111 profile. my recruiter told me to expect this and that my 3 should be upgraded to a 2 or 1 providing the waiver gets approved.

So here is my question. is it a possibility that i could pass an airborne physical? would they even allow me to try?
id like to take a shot at rasp and have had conflicting answers about whether or not id be able to even get to volunteer in basic or ait for airborne school let alone RASP. ive heard its nearly impossible to get any options ( 40,4) with a med waiver, how true is this? i realize this is a very specific situation that i might not be able to get any super accurate answers. but i would appreciate some advice as to what route i should take in my situation. also GT=112

Hey there, I am also currently in the process and actually in a similar situation to yourself. From what I was told, and since some of your ideas are kind of sparse and hard to decipher. I thought I would put it to a tl;dr for people who know a bit more than myself. I'd also appreciate it if in the future you could write with proper grammar and puncutation, as it'd make your questions easier to tl;dr for vetted members that can actually help you.

Now for the tl;dr, I will break it down here for what I think you're asking. Feel free to correct me with concise questions if I can't read but I think I pretty much nailed it on the head.

Could your previous injury cause issues with passing the airborne/ranger physical?
Can you even attempt the airborne/ranger physical if your classification is not changed?
Can you volunteer for RASP or Airborne school at AIT given your current situation?
How likely am I to get an Option 4/Option 40 contract with a medical waiver required?

...i realize this is a very specific situation that i might not be able to get any super accurate answers. but i would appreciate some advice as to what route i should take in my situation. also GT=112

For a semi-smart individual, you write like a 4 year old. If you want to be taken seriously in the Special Operations, hell, any part of the military community, you had better tighten up your shot group in the communication arena. Capitalization, punctuation, spelling, usage; all the shit you hated in English class will be used, and can bite you in the ass daily if not proper.

End of mentoring.

For a semi-smart individual, you write like a 4 year old. If you want to be taken seriously in the Special Operations, hell, any part of the military community, you had better tighten up your shot group in the communication arena. Capitalization, punctuation, spelling, usage; all the shit you hated in English class will be used, and can bite you in the ass daily if not proper.

End of mentoring.
I would like to formally apologize for my shitty grammar and writing. Ironically english/ LA was and still is a strong suit of mine, compared to all the other core subjects. Thanks for the response I will keep that in mind when posting here from now on

I would like to formally apologize for my shitty grammar and writing. Ironically english/ LA was and still is a strong suit of mine, compared to all the other core subjects. Thanks for the response I will keep that in mind when posting here from now on
I forgot a period at the end. R.I.P.:(

In regards to whether or not you can get an Option 4 or 40 contract with a medical waiver, I believe the answer is no. From all of the research that I've done on the subject it seems that a medical waiver disqualifies you for Airborne in your contract but that you can volunteer for it at OSUT. I haven't gone through the process, just relaying what I've read from those who have, so take this as a secondary source.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chronicler -

I was going to remove your post and send you a PM but you have been reading this forum long enough to know better. Unless you have direct and working knowledge of a subject, please do not offer any opinions to members seeking assistance. Considering you have not even joined the Military yet, you have nothing to contribute in this thread.

I've highlighted the keywords and phrases above that should be a cue -

Back