Question for all Special Operations men

Art Vandelay

Unverified
What was the most informative school or course you took throughout your time in the service? I.E. Ranger School, SERE, Sniper School, ect

Ok, to give you a non-joke answer.

The best training I got in the army, wasn't military centric. Did a course called Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), after we had a soldier in our unit hang herself.

I've used the lessons from that training much more than I ever expected, both in and out of the army.

You guys actually paid attention. I was just waiting for the next smoke break,

On a serious note. I liked the combat lifesaver course. I almost caused a guy to bleed to death giving him an IV. Blood was everywhere.

What was the most informative school or course you took throughout your time in the service? I.E. Ranger School, SERE, Sniper School, ect

Ranger School.

Best, most professionally ran course that showed me how far the mind can push the body? SERE. #lifeskills (Don't ask for more info. I'm not saying anything else). Go experience it.

My arm looked worse than a 10 year veteran of heroin following our combat lifesaver course. I'd rather be OC sprayed again than let another grunt dig around in my arm again.
Civilian medics in training aren't much better. I had several months of wearing long sleeves so people wouldn't think I was a junkie.

Combat Lifesaver with the TCCC add on. Have done it once with the military, and once again with my current employer. Most useful course I've attended, and have several times both in and outside the service put it to use.

Not a SOF guy. Informative would be going through and then working as an assistant instructor in a Isolated persons/personnel recovery course. I would agree CLS, Adv-CLS and TC3 were the most important and useful courses outside of MOS specific stuff.

Did a LOT of tactical law enforcement courses over the years that were very helpful in finding different ways to do things (TTPs, personal skills, etc). Also attended some driving schools that were really informative, but not specifically military orientated (more PMC, PSD type stuff).

Back