Question for Armor Officers

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
One of the West Point cadets I'm mentoring is marrying another cadet, and they are in the process of submitting their preferences for duty stations. Right now, their major choices are between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd BCTs at Fort Stuart, Fort Hood, and Fort Bliss, and the 11th ACR at Fort Irwin.

I know where I'd rather go, but I'm not Armor and I know some of you are...

One of the West Point cadets I'm mentoring is marrying another cadet, and they are in the process of submitting their preferences for duty stations. Right now, their major choices are between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd BCTs at Fort Stuart, Fort Hood, and Fort Bliss, and the 11th ACR at Fort Irwin.

I know where I'd rather go, but I'm not Armor and I know some of you are...

I really enjoyed my time at Ft Bliss. When it comes to training, there is no better place to train. I know everyone has up to date ranges and stuff. But the sheer number of ranges Bliss has is immense. El Paso has become a very nice city since I left, it was in the midst of transforming while I was there. The only problem with it, it's far from everything so you basically have to fly to go anywhere cool if you're not willing to drive 6-8 hours.

Fort Stuart, if you live off post in Richmond Hill you can have a pretty nice lifestyle as a young couple. Or they could even do hard commutes and live in Savannah proper. Stuart probably gives them the best "lifestyle" if that means things.

Fort Hood, as much as I love Texas Whiskey. That place is a no for me, especially right now.

Without knowing more about the cadet, I couldn't tell you. If he likes to hunt and fish there are plenty of opportunities to do that around Ft Bliss in New Mexico and along the Rio. Fishing is probably better in Georgia. The hiking that you can do around El Paso is pretty ridiculous and awesome tbh.

I really enjoyed my time at Ft Bliss. When it comes to training, there is no better place to train. I know everyone has up to date ranges and stuff. But the sheer number of ranges Bliss has is immense. El Paso has become a very nice city since I left, it was in the midst of transforming while I was there. The only problem with it, it's far from everything so you basically have to fly to go anywhere cool if you're not willing to drive 6-8 hours.

Fort Stuart, if you live off post in Richmond Hill you can have a pretty nice lifestyle as a young couple. Or they could even do hard commutes and live in Savannah proper. Stuart probably gives them the best "lifestyle" if that means things.

Fort Hood, as much as I love Texas Whiskey. That place is a no for me, especially right now.

Without knowing more about the cadet, I couldn't tell you. If he likes to hunt and fish there are plenty of opportunities to do that around Ft Bliss in New Mexico and along the Rio. Fishing is probably better in Georgia. The hiking that you can do around El Paso is pretty ridiculous and awesome tbh.
Thanks brother, I was hoping you'd chime in.

I'm talking to them this afternoon, they're picking posts and basic course dates "NFL draft" style on Friday.

Thanks, everyone, for your recommendations. After speaking with the cadet in question, they are going to try to get Stewart. I'll post up again after the actual event.

Back