Questions?

ShadowSpear

ShadowSpear.com
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
We have several Rangers in this mentor group ready to answer your questions. Post them here. Tailor your questions toward your physical/mental preparation. Don't try to G2 selection, because we won't get into specifics.

Hey there, I was just wondering about the 11x process a little more. I know a bit about 11B and 11C, but is it really just a crapshoot, or are you able to choose? If you can choose, is it right after OSUT or do you wait until later on in the process? My line scores that matter are 121 GT, 112 CO, and 114 FA with the 85 AFQT percentile that I mentioned earlier. Although I might be out of line, I know some of you probably have gone through 11x and could explain it just a little bit for me. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Hi guys, my name is Jake. I've posted in the SF section a few months back, but I'm starting to lean towards the 75th because they focus more on direct action. I've been waiting to get cleared medically for quite a while, and I think its finally going to pay off. My recruiter told me I'm not able to get an 18X, opt 40 or opt 4 be it that I'll be a medical waiver. Having said that, I have it set in my mind to go 13F, work my ass off and earn a spot at RASP. I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys, whether you think what I'm being told is true or not.
Thank you for your time.

I want to gain more information on life in Regiment as an import E-5, and how the transition will be from Regular Army, not only for myself, but my wife and daughter. My required DEROS fulfillment is up, so I can start to plan for what's next.

In preparing for a sleep deprived environment and testing situation, is that really a function of building mental toughness in other aspects first? I can't imagine purposeful sleep deprivation is healthy for yourself or your own physical progress.

In preparing for a sleep deprived environment and testing situation, is that really a function of building mental toughness in other aspects first? I can't imagine purposeful sleep deprivation is healthy for yourself or your own physical progress.

While I'm not a Ranger, I don't recommend it per se. You can learn something of yourself by staying awake for days and/ or with minimal sleep...but that also punishes your body and mind. I've made8 or 9 skydives in 50 hours with little more than catnaps on the ride to altitude. The nights were spent...I wouldn't operate a motor vehicle. I've done JRTC where I slept 6-8 hours in 5 days. You learn something about yourself, but you'll beat yourself up enough later on. I wouldn't go out and seek a starvation and sleep deprivation experience. Are adventure races still a thing? That might be a good experience.

You learn something about yourself, but you'll beat yourself up enough later on. I wouldn't go out and seek a starvation and sleep deprivation experience. Are adventure races still a thing? That might be a good experience.

That's what I figured. Last thing you want to do before something like that is drain yourself mentally before the real show time has had time to properly develop.

And yes, I'll probably be looking to do intermediate events beforehand just to ensure that I'm not just showing up with no experience. Thanks for the advice!

Looking back on that period, working, jumping, partying, jumping...then a drive back through the boring ass swamps of south Gerogia with a Mountain Dew and...fortitude to keep me awak? I don't know how I didn't wreck a dozen times over. I was a zombie and don't recommend it, not in public. A semi-controlled environment somehow? A one-off thing? Sure. Otherwise...Benning will hook you up. You'll learn or fall by the wayside.

A semi-controlled environment somehow? A one-off thing? Sure. Otherwise...Benning will hook you up. You'll learn or fall by the wayside.

Of course. Ultimate sink or swim sort of test. I imagine preparing for other sorts of major PT events will allow me to get some insight and confidence in how to handle the situations moving forward. Thanks for sharing your experiences for sure.

Of course. Ultimate sink or swim sort of test. I imagine preparing for other sorts of major PT events will allow me to get some insight and confidence in how to handle the situations moving forward. Thanks for sharing your experiences for sure.
I think the best prep is- work out everyday, no matter how tired or shitty you feel. I don’t know what your career is or if you’re in school now- work around your current obligations, get a quick work out in, whatever. Just do things when you don’t want to.

Also, if you have time before you enlist, find something on your “bucket list” you want to do, things your scared of and that will take you out of your comfort zone. Something you will likely fail at initially and really have to work at. But find something you love doing and know you will regret not attempting and not sticking with. That was my prep.

My last 3 semesters of college I did 3 things- started boxing, because I had wrestled and done no-gi BJJ/Grappling on and off since I was 13. I never learned any real “striking” and wanted to learn. I was smoked, I looked dumb, and I got my ass beat by a chick I worked out with the first time I sparred. That’s humbling.

I also started doing stand up comedy around North and Central Florida, which was a blast. It also still scares me more than jumping to this day. And I bombed like everyone else does for my first 2 months of trying it. Again, humbling, but also a great feeling when you get to a point 6 months later where your act is getting you “paid” (as in $45 at the most) to do a 15 minute set for touring pros.

And 3rd- I started working full time at my grounds crew job. I was going to school on my dads GI Bill, so money wasn’t a real issue for me in college. I started working full time to add some strain and make myself manage my time better. And I had to balance my PT (boxing and running and Swimming) with school, a 32-40 hour a week job that made me work in the Gainesville sun and my late night extracurricular of comedy.

There is no way to get used to being cold,tired, hungry until you’re in the military, doing it for real.... you can get used to being uncomfortable and being out of your element and starting from scratch. That’s the best prep you can do.

Also, if you have time before you enlist, find something on your “bucket list” you want to do, things your scared of and that will take you out of your comfort zone.

Apologies if this is too specific, but this should also be the case if you are headed off into Big Army first? Although my ship date for my direct commission is imminent and RASP II slots won't be available for a while, I completely agree that I should be pushing for other things out of my comfort zone too and finding time for them.

Apologies if this is too specific, but this should also be the case if you are headed off into Big Army first? Although my ship date for my direct commission is imminent and RASP II slots won't be available for a while, I completely agree that I should be pushing for other things out of my comfort zone too and finding time for them.
My personal opinion is that no matter what you do with your life, you should always challenge yourself.

If I may ask, did you have any sort of contact with the JAGs while you were serving in Regiment? The information that I have heard in sit down conversations with other JAGs was that they are doing a healthy mix of administrative law, contract and fiscal law, as well as operational/national security concerns. However, I am curious what it looks like at the ground level. Could any of you shed light on that?

If I may ask, did you have any sort of contact with the JAGs while you were serving in Regiment? The information that I have heard in sit down conversations with other JAGs was that they are doing a healthy mix of administrative law, contract and fiscal law, as well as operational/national security concerns. However, I am curious what it looks like at the ground level. Could any of you shed light on that?
I have never met a JAG in Regiment. I’m sure they’re running around at RHQ and RSTB. I don’t know how much they actually do.

Back