Ranger to West Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackflerp

Unverified
Hi guys, I recently got to shadow a cadet at West Point for a day and it really got me interested in becoming an officer. I have wanted to become a Ranger (scrolled, tabbed if time allows) ever since I found out about the Regiment. One of the admissions guys at West Point (Major Dupuis) talked to me about his career and how he ended up at West Point. He served in 3rd Btn and came to West Point right before 9/11. I'm guessing that getting from active duty to USMA hasn't changed much since his time, but I still have some questions. I have searched the forums and online, but I didn't find a useful thread particularly pertaining to the 75th. Is getting accepted to WP any different due to their deployment/training schedules than regular active duty? And how would someone transfer from the Regiment (or any ASOC unit) to USMA? I would like to go enlisted for a few years, hopefully passing RASP, and then get a spot at USMA. They currently only have slots for around 85 active duty/reserve soldiers a year, but I am not apposed to the prep academy. The path from enlisted to USMA is still a bit fuzzy to me, but would going straight to the academy be a better idea than going enlisted first? I have heard conflicting statements, but I am looking to hear from someone who has either done what I said above or is knowledgeable about it. And yes, I am aware of being an officer in the Rangers, but being enlisted has interested me for a while.

TLDR: I want to be a Ranger, then go to West Point. Need advice on path to West Point as a Ranger.

My main questions are underlined.

Best bet is to read the admissions website, the FAQ, and ask MAJ Dupuis some more questions. I believe the age limit was increased slightly due to deployments to allow more prior service folks the opportunity to attend. From 2000-2005, had to be no older than 23 on Reception Day.

West Point is not an operational unit. It is a military academy, a college. Your prior duty will be school, earning a Bachelor of Science in a discipline of your choice. It's not a transfer. You have to get a nomination (command, Congressman, Senator, etc), apply, med screening, PT test, etc.

Hope is not a method, get it out of your vocabulary. Reason I say is because it becomes harder to get to school once you delay it a year or two. Getting the slot to USMA as an enlisted Soldier depends on a lot e.g. your performance, your health, the support of your command, staying single without dependents, etc. That's a lot of hope on others which can fail without your control.

Find out some more information and then take a path. If you want to enlist, enlist. If you want to go to West Point, then apply. If you want to enlist and then go to West Point, do that. List the pros and cons with each, and take to many people to gain perspective.

I believe the age cutoff is 23, but age waivers are obtainable if a deployment messes that up. I plan on talking to Major Dupuis again, but wanted perspective from someone outside of admissions. Thanks for the advice.

There are plenty of prior Rangers here at the Academy. Our last Commandant, General Clarke, was a former Regimental commander.

If you want to be an officer, go the officer route. If you think you can get into West Point now, do it. You can attempt to earn a slot in the Ranger Regiment after you've demonstrated competence as an officer.

This is all great. But let's take a step back for just one second. First of all your chances of getting into Regiment are low, very low. your chances of getting into West Point are also very, very low. I'm not saying you won't. Just that it is extremely unlikely. Why don't you choose one and go for it. Then develop the situation q bit. If you are telling people at Batt you want to go to West Point, I don't think you will be long for the 75th. Kna mean?

Being somebody that was recruited to go to West Point, and subsequently turned down the opportunity to go. I regret that I didn't take the opportunity when I had it and it will forever haunt me.

I say if your end game is to go to West Point, do that if you have the opportunity NOW. Don't let it haunt you years from now.

There's no problem with people wanting to go to the point after doing time in Batt, but before you get command recommendation to go do that, you need to be good at Ranger-ing if your gameplan is Batt then the academy. A couple guys I know went that route, although more took the OCS route. Most took the OCS route primarily because they were senior SSG's and already had college, plus their performance was exemplary within the Regiment so they were part of the statistically minuscule portion of 2LT's that have ever worked in the 75th.

So I know that these are pretty ambitious and have extremely low chances of working out the way I want but these are the career paths I have looked into, providing I pass their respective selection courses:

1. Enlist with an Option 40 contract after HS, serve in the Regiment for a few years, and with the support of my command, head to WP before I am 23. That is the age limit for those that didn't read my entire post.

2. Go to a regular college, get a degree, then enlist with an 18X contract. I have wanted to be in the Regiment practically since I heard about it, but I started looking more into SF and ODAs, and I think that might be something I could excel at and hopefully enjoy. College would put me past the 20 year age requirement for an 18X contract, and I would have a degree if I choose to go through the OCS route and make it.

3. Go straight to West Point, graduate and serve in an airborne infantry unit, and then once promoted to Captain put in a packet for SF.

4. Enlist and become a Ranger, serve for a while, maybe go to SFAS maybe stay in the 75th, get a degree somewhere along there, become an officer and retire after 20 years or until whenever it is my time to get out

What I like about West Point:
Extremely prestigious and respectable school
Looks great on a resume if I get out of the military before 20 years etc.
The experience
The ability to come from one of the best military service academies in the world
The immediate sense of brotherhood and camaraderie you feel the moment you step foot on campus

What I dislike about West Point:
You can't be enlisted afterwards unless you are a total goof*
I'm good at school, but I am not really sure that I love it
It sucks from a day to day standpoint
No guarantee at your job after graduation. Slots are picked by class standing, and I have no idea where i'd be in that list when the time comes.

*I get that I am still young and have little experience of what life as an enlisted soldier would be like, especially one in a SOF unit. From all of the books I've read and research I've done, it sounds like the enlisted get to do the fun stuff. I want to kick in doors, not pick which one to kick down. And that might change once/if I actually get deployed and worn down. Plus I can go into the military right after high school instead of going to more classes for 4 years. I get that my concept of life as enlisted is probably extremely warped and sounds stupid to the people that have experienced how much it sucks/rocks, but those are just my meager 2 cents. I am a stand out in my JROTC unit, and I have been told I am a great leader (which would mean little in the real military), so I don't know if I'd be too bad of an officer. I guess time will tell.

If this sounded arrogant, I am just trying to be honest with what my ambitions are so anyone reading can get a better sense of what they are. They are huge goals and dreams that might not work out the way I want them to, but these are just what I would like to see happen.

@Jackflerp ... Do you know the difference between a PFC and a 2LT?

The PFC has already been promoted twice, and realizes he still has a lot to learn.

Should you choose to go to USMA, keep that in the back of your mind, and also realize that your NCOs can mentor you and train you, or they can just take care of the Platoon while you shoot yourself in the foot. Read General Colin Powell's Rules for Life... if you use your search-fu, you can find them. And remember humility can save you, but don't let yourself be steamrolled.

2LT is a hard place to be... you are in charge and you really don't know anything yet... whatcha gonna do PL?

If you ever want to be an officer, go to West Point. Do it first. If you go to the Academy, you can do you first two years commitment-free. Although I strongly dislike this COA, you can drop out after your first or second year and enlist or transfer schools with no issues.

West Point has the best resources, the best post-graduation network, and is the most prestigious of all of the commissioning sources. If you have any ambition at all for being an officer, go to school there. Have you gone for an in-person visit?

You should have let me know, I would have introduced you to some of the Rangers who are here and you could have heard it straight from them.

Are you a cadet or faculty? If I am ever up there anytime soon I will for sure let you know. I shadowed an advanced math class and then a Military Science class at trophy point. A Staff Sergeant was teaching that one I think. We were at Trophy Point playing with radios. I feel bad for you guys with the constant bus loads of foreign tourists.

I met quite a few former enlisted there, and I am quite new to SS and hadn't looked at your account, so obviously I would have had no clue.

A switched on recruit looking at USMA/Rangers would probably have a look at who they were interacting with (especially one offering the sort of access Mara was) before asking redundant questions. A really switched on recruit would cop to making a fuck up, instead of making excuses.

I met quite a few former enlisted there, and I am quite new to SS and hadn't looked at your account, so obviously I would have had no clue.
Little tip. ALWAYS look at someone profile here before replying. If it's set to private, say that in your reply so they know you made an effort.

I get why you phrased it this way; you're 15 and don't know better. Now, let's see if you can understand why what you said is actually kind of offensive.
I am sorry that it came off as offensive. We were using radios to talk to other classes, not "playing" with them like I had mentioned. Thank you for correcting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back