Reed Cundiff

Reed Cundiff

Verified SOF
Went to RVN with 4/503rd, volunteered for and went before board for 173rd LRRP in October 1966. Accepted and sent to Recondo Class 03 with 4 others from 173rd LRRP to include platoon sgt Harold Kaiam (fell 30' and injured in Class 00). Instructor for the entire time for us was a platoon sgt from Australian SAS. Was made ATL to Vladimir Jakovenko (later on Son Tay Raid with SF) upon return around 1 Dec. Was a TL a month later. ETSed in April, went on mountaineering expedition to Peru and returned to graduate school at New Mexico State that fall as physics grad student. Hired by Army Research Labs at White Sands and spent 34 years there retiring as a senior physicst (GS15). Had two year tour in Korea with Science Advisor's Program, 1 year secoundment at Pentagon at Office of Under Secretary of Army for R&E, a 3-month tour as Science Advisor in Iraq in 2004, and a six-month tour as Dpty Director for the Joint IED Test Board. Retired seven years ago, sold the house and my wife and I have been full time RV'ing ever since (Alaska, Newfoundland, Everlgades, Baja, and Yucatan/Belize/Guatemala). Was unit director for N Rangers within 75th RRA for seven years. Attended reunion for 173rd LRRP/74th LRP/NRangers in September. Five of us from Team 4 of 66-67 time frame showed up.

Welcome! You are an asset to the site. Please continue to participate.

Thanks for the welcomes. Photo at left (avatar) is Mannie Moya (dec) who was our point and myself. Got landed 1.5 km from Cambodia that night and got run all over the place the next day. We were put into a battalion level NVA base camp. Walked into an ambush and the NVA were asleep at the switch and we ran like rabbits, I mean, we skillfully began a well thought out and expertly executed E&E plan, OK, we ran like rabbits. They were more confused that we. NVAs were a really chatty crew when in a base camp within 10 minutes stroll to the border. We heard folks BS'ing on one side within 50 meters of us, acted like migrating cockroaches for a bit, and folks talking away on the other side, bunkers being built etc. We did discuss this humorously at the September reunion.

One guy who was on team 4 noted that some of the tales told a reunion were nothing like he remembered the event (Rashamon syndrome) but a few decided that the most John Wayne account of an action would be the one told in the future LOL
Reed Cundiff

So happy to have you here. Anytime I get a chance to thanks a Nam vet, and a LRRP for that matter is a great day. While in high school so many years ago, It was your stories that ultimately solidified my desire to join the military.

Welcome, and thank you for what you did!

Welcome, so you will understand when I talk about flux capacitors and mag pickups

Thanks for serving. Guys like you truly made me want to be a Ranger. Welcome to the site!

Welcome.
How much did you get for your wife when you sold her?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::wall:
Hmm, should pay more attention to punctuation (as a grammar fascist myself), and I am currently re-reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". Really should proof what I write.
Reed

Reed is not that common a name. Dad was born in Somerset, Kentucky (Annapolis Class of 1933). He received the name of Charles Reed Cundiff since, as is common is the south, his middle name was his mother's maiden name (from Fort Tom, Kentucky). There is one other Reed Cundiff in the US, and we are not easily confused since he is a multi-millionaire in Seattle. I am as yet unverified on this forum and there may be no other 173rd LRRPs to do such.

<snip> . I am as yet unverified on this forum and there may be no other 173rd LRRPs to do such.
LOL - I'll leave the actual verification part to the pros on the forum, but if you were to turn out to be a poser, I'd quit the internet and never take anything at face value again!

Reed is not that common a name. Dad was born in Somerset, Kentucky (Annapolis Class of 1933). He received the name of Charles Reed Cundiff since, as is common is the south, his middle name was his mother's maiden name (from Fort Tom, Kentucky). There is one other Reed Cundiff in the US, and we are not easily confused since he is a multi-millionaire in Seattle. I am as yet unverified on this forum and there may be no other 173rd LRRPs to do such.
you in KY now?

Back