Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

One of the Navy SEALs being investigated in the death of a Green Beret in Africa told a witness that he "choked [him] out" in the pre-dawn hours of June 4 and that he and another SEAL were out "to get back" at the victim for a perceived offense that night, according to documents from an Army investigation obtained by NBC News.

Witness: Navy SEAL said he "choked out" Green Beret who died

The witness also said that DeDolph indicated he and Matthews "and possibly other individuals" had used "duct tape" on Melgar, but had left that out of their interviews about the death because they were afraid it would be considered hazing.

"Possibly others?" Damn...
Fucking assholes.

We should keep this thread dedicated to discussing the incident involving the 2 SEAL's and the Green Beret.
Speculative conversations about how to "fix" the SEAL's or anything else along that line should probably be the subject of a separate thread.

I'm starting a separate thread for a speculative conversation on things NSW/SEALs/DEVGRU...because the insane amount of hype surrounding these units for the last 30 years (thank you Richard Marcinko et al) justifies criticism and open discussion.

All units have their clowns and degenerates. Even with the best of assessments...they get through the cracks and embarrass the rest of the good guys on occasion. It will always be that way.

I don't formulate my opinions based on the actions of a couple degenerate -- and if the information floating around is true -- criminals.

People seem to forget that the military is a microcosm of society and has its fair share of fools. We try our best to minimize our risk of taking them in, but somehow, they manage to infiltrate.

Like other times before, they will manage this situation and drive on....

What a shitshow. The two Raiders might be implicated in the coverup. On the face of it it looks like the SEALs--and maybe some others--had their hands in the cash box and Melgar threatened to turn them in. They offered to cut him in...he refused...and they killed him and then tried to cover it up. I say again, what a shitshow.

NSW and their boys at Blue need to be put out to pasture. Let MARSOC take the lead on anything amphib related, and leave ARSOF to lead the way on land. AFSOC can keep doing the great work they do. This isn’t isolated. It’s cultural. And it’s out of fucking hand. I put NSW down with ARTB and their respective RTBs as the most unprofessional organizations in the DOD.

Jesus Christ, what kind of cunts go from "how can we get out of this pickle with the money?" to "let's kill the guy"?

Jeez. I hope this is a case of just trying to implicate other innocent people to remove the microscope from them.

Yeah, I do too. They say there is "forensic" evidence placing the two Raiders in the room that night...but maybe they weren't there during the alleged murder. If what I think happened did in fact happen, these SEALs were no better than thugs; and they could've been running the show through intimidation/extortion/blackmail. At this point, I wouldn't put anything past them.

NSW and their boys at Blue need to be put out to pasture. Let MARSOC take the lead on anything amphib related, and leave ARSOF to lead the way on land. AFSOC can keep doing the great work they do. This isn’t isolated. It’s cultural. And it’s out of fucking hand. I put NSW down with ARTB and their respective RTBs as the most unprofessional organizations in the DOD.

From what I know of it, Absofuckinglutely.

You have to be heartless peice of shit to murder a dude over some bullshit money like that. Worst case scenario they would've had to pay the money back and lose their career, maybe a short stint in jail. To go from that to were gonna kill an American Green Beret. That's just evil at its core...I hope they line those dudes up in front SSG Melgar's former ODA and let them shoot the fuck out of them.

NSW's reputation is just getting worse and worse. I know there are good dudes in that community and every group has their 10% shitbag ratios. But for fuck sake, their bullshit is getting pretty damn deep.

$.02

I have watched the hammer fall on fellow soldiers over CIVCAS investigations that took less time to adjudicate than it takes to get a CONOP approved.
Oddly, when the flag officers are investigating the death of an Afghan that is killed while lurking on the battlefield they can pass judgment and sign the GOMAR faster than a speeding bullet. Now suddenly it has taken a year just to remind everyone that there is a "policy not to comment on ongoing investigations"

...now, I dare one of you to get charged with DUI and see how fast you are found guilty by DOD
...or violate one of the new social policy rules and see how long THAT on-going investigation lasts

Be patient men, the system works like a well oiled machine.

I have watched the hammer fall on fellow soldiers over CIVCAS investigations that took less time to adjudicate than it takes to get a CONOP approved.
Oddly, when the flag officers are investigating the death of an Afghan that is killed while lurking on the battlefield they can pass judgment and sign the GOMAR faster than a speeding bullet. Now suddenly it has taken a year just to remind everyone that there is a "policy not to comment on ongoing investigations"

...now, I dare one of you to get charged with DUI and see how fast you are found guilty by DOD
...or violate one of the new social policy rules and see how long THAT on-going investigation lasts

Be patient men, the system works like a well oiled machine.

This was SOP way back. An ARVN murdered one of my teammates. He got transfered and the investigation was quashed in the interests of allied harmony. If it had been one of us murdering one of our counterparts...Red Line Brig and 20 years at Portsmouth.

Last edited:
Back