Revisit Airborne

ScurvyThread489

Unverified
Hi all,
I'm a prior service Marine who's been out of the game for a few years now and recently decided to pursue an 18X contract. During my time in the USMC I completed Airborne, but that was way back in 2011. I've locked down the 18X contract and I know that Airborne is a part of that pipeline. Does anyone on here know whether or not I'll have to redo Airborne? My initial guess is that I won't, but my recruiter/career counselor at MEPS don't seem to have a solid answer for me (surprise there). I'm going to be married shortly before I leave for OSUT, I've been out for over 3 years so they're making me attend, and I'm just trying to figure out a rough estimate for the amount of time I'll be over in NC before I'm able to pick up in an A&S class. I know that Airborne is only a 3 week course but considering OSUT is now 22 weeks, which kind of blows my mind, I'm trying to figure out the additional time in training I'll have after that. Appreciate any feedback

Glad to hear that. Do either of you happen to know whether or not any other courses will transfer over? Like HALO/Dive? Asking purely out of curiosity because I don't really care either way. I'm not sure how the qualifications for those courses differ from Marines to Army and it sounds like there's some knowledgeable folks on here. This is obviously off topic from the OP so if that's too off base then just let me know. I'm new to this site so I'm not sure how strict that is. Thanks for your feedback regarding Airborne either way

Glad to hear that. Do either of you happen to know whether or not any other courses will transfer over? Like HALO/Dive? Asking purely out of curiosity because I don't really care either way. I'm not sure how the qualifications for those courses differ from Marines to Army and it sounds like there's some knowledgeable folks on here. This is obviously off topic from the OP so if that's too off base then just let me know. I'm new to this site so I'm not sure how strict that is. Thanks for your feedback regarding Airborne either way
Did you complete both USMC Combatant diver and the Yuma MFFPC?

Pretty sure the dive course transfers over, @DZ could better answer that. I think he just did CDQC.

Did you complete both USMC Combatant diver and the Yuma MFFPC?

Pretty sure the dive course transfers over, @DZ could better answer that. I think he just did CDQC.

Yeah so I completed the USMC Combatant Diver course and the Halo course in Yuma, but I believe it was called MMPC (multi mission parachutist course)...I could be wrong on that though. It's been a while haha

MFFPC in Yuma is the only approved MFF school under USASOC. We had a couple riggers go to the Navy MFF school, and USASOC pitched a fit when they found out they were jumping.

As far as dive goes, the services standardized their dive courses along Navy guidelines some years back, I wanna say 2011. If you attended after that it should transfer over.

Although I'm not 100% sure if by regulation you'd be able to rock the Army MFF/Dive badges unless you attended MFFPC in Yuma, and CDQC in Key West. Your best bet is to bring all your certs/orders with you and see if the Army will give you orders for the MFF/Army Combat Diver badges.

MFFPC in Yuma is the only approved MFF school under USASOC. We had a couple riggers go to the Navy MFF school, and USASOC pitched a fit when they found out they were jumping.

As far as dive goes, the services standardized their dive courses along Navy guidelines some years back, I wanna say 2011. If you attended after that it should transfer over.

Although I'm not 100% sure if by regulation you'd be able to rock the Army MFF/Dive badges unless you attended MFFPC in Yuma, and CDQC in Key West. Your best bet is to bring all your certs/orders with you and see if the Army will give you orders for the MFF/Army Combat Diver badges.
Yeah I was thinking that probably wouldn't fly in the Army because from what I've been told you guys use different chutes than we did while I was in the Marines. I attended Dive in 2012 or 2013 so should've been after the standardization. I'll take the advice and bring my certs when I ship out and see what big Army says about everything. I just figured I'd ask because I haven't been able to find any info on it, granted it's probably a pretty uncommon situation. Thanks for the input from everyone. Much appreciated

Navy MFF doesn’t carry over? One of our old SLs went out to be the SQT small unit tactics instructor and just went through MFF with the SEALs and said he can wear Army MFF wings because of it....

Navy MFF doesn’t carry over? One of our old SLs went out to be the SQT small unit tactics instructor and just went through MFF with the SEALs and said he can wear Army MFF wings because of it....
This was back around 2015 I think, things may have changed between now and then. I also recall hearing that they were supposed to have gotten approval from USASOC before attending the course, which they did not do. I do remember it being a big deal though, as one of the riggers was a female, and the National Guard did an article in their magazine about her being the first female in the unit to be MFF qualified, so it was a pretty high visibility ordeal.

ETA-
Is it common for Rangers to instruct SEALs on SUT?

This was back around 2015 I think, things may have changed between now and then. I also recall hearing that they were supposed to have gotten approval from USASOC before attending the course, which they did not do. I do remember it being a big deal though, as one of the riggers was a female, and the National Guard did an article in their magazine about her being the first female in the unit to be MFF qualified, so it was a pretty high visibility ordeal.

ETA-
Is it common for Rangers to instruct SEALs on SUT?
It’s one of 2-3 LNO positions we have over there. From what I know, the lead instructor for SQT’s SUT portion is a permanent Ranger position that gets rotated out every 2 years or so.

Back