Rucksacks

Just checked out Eberlestock. Not a bad deal. No joke about the Mystery Ranch pricing ($750 for the complete setup). If I can't get the Mystery Ranch packs through my supply system, then I will definately look into Eberlestock. They have a FAC pack that looks like it might work perfectly for what I need. Do you have any personal experience with the Eberlestock packs?

Love my Eberlestock http://www.eberlestock.com/F3F%20FAC%20Track.htm 1 problem It is to short for me It is more of a day pack

Love my Eberlestock http://www.eberlestock.com/F3F%20FAC%20Track.htm 1 problem It is to short for me It is more of a day pack

You do alot of hiking do ya ?

You guy's can keep your old Alice packs. With what is available today I see no reason to torture ones self with an old Alice and old frame. At least for us day and overnight type hikers. My Blackhawk packs have stood up better than any Alice pack ever would. Not to mention the room for a Hydo-pack built into the frame, MOLLE attachements everywhere and anywhere you could want them. The self cooling back pad and easy straps and belt. Not at the top of the list but damn good gear.

I gave Pardus a Blackhawk RAPTOR and he will swear on it.

Berghaus "Trident".
120 ltr.
Sidepouches come off to make a daypack.

Positive:
Good comfortable pack with just enough compartments for easy access of materials during nighttime operations.
Metalframe are ribs inside the backpadding wich makes it possible to alter the signature of the pack after you own preference.

Negative:
The zipper for connecting the sidepouches together tends to get worn out and needs to be replaced after a couple of years usage.
Doesn´t come in desert, you´ll have to get it done yourself if the pack are going out on combatpatrols.
No framework in the daypack.

That' the rep they've got mate, not sure if that news has made it's way across the Tasman, probably less about design and more about quality. A bloke that used to work for them went off and started SORD, I've heard nothing but good things about his stuff.

Yeah it has mate. I finger fucked a lot of their gear and identified most of the issues. Pretty much the whole line needs a revamp. I thought about SORD as well but could probably achieve more at Platatac as their production facility could handle more. Silly things like split front chest rigs that are 6 columns wide definitely need to change, Melbourne is a nice place to live as well.

I go back to EFMB in January, for my 2nd try. I'm working on my ruck time. I HAVE to use either a MOLLE ruck, or an ALICE ruck. now - I have the Malice in multicam, but I don't need a new bag, just a better frame/strap set-up. I'm going to call MR and see if the NICE frame can be made to adapt to the MOLLE ruck bag, or something like that. basically, I don't want to get DQ'd for using an unauthorized ruck, but I do want it to be more comfortable on my back.

I can't use my MALICE for Expert Field Medic Badge... they have specific packing lists and issue equipment must be used during the course for standardization purposes. now, I can modify the issue stuff, like use comfier straps or a thicker kidney pad, but it has to be the UCP (ACU) MOLLE Large bag, on a plastic DEI frame. in other words, it has to look like it's the MOLLE Large ruck. if the DEI 1606 Frame can be used with the MOLLE Large bag, and then I just use some other straps or whatever, then that's fine, but it says at the bottom of the 1606 frame option in direct sales: "Although it is possible to use the #1606 Packframe on MOLLE Large Pad Sets & Ruck, it is not an application we recommend."

if I have to suck it up and deal with the issue MOLLE just for EFMB, then so be it.... but any edge I can get, I'll take, ya know? (especially if it will still work with my MALICE after the fact.)

if this doesn't work, I guess it's back to saving the dinars for the MR NICE frame and then see if there's a way to make it work with a MOLLE Large bag.

Do you have a UCP Alice? I know both frames will work in the Alice sleeve.

I owned a Molle gen 2 for about two days, it took me that long to decide I would have more joy with a recyclable grocery bag.

I totally agree. I've never broken buckles tightening straps on an ALICE, and I've never found a load I couldn't pack right in one either. I DO have a green ALICE, and it was issued to me with the original frame. So I could always use that... I have another 4-ish months to figure it out, so there's no rush. but I get my clothing allowance in September, so I know I'll have what i need by Jan. :D have you ever used the 1606?

I used a 1606 frame before they caved into pressure and made them to fit straight into an Alice so mine was chopped and I used Molle 2 shoulder straps and a modded Alice kidney pad with it. I liked it, better than steel abortion it came with.

I have been wanting to get a rucksack for a while so that I am somewhat familiar with marching before I ship out, but not sure what kind to get. Should I just wait until I am in? :confused:

Back