School/Mass shootings are now part of our culture.

If you've never been rejected by anyone, you're either Prince Harry or an introvert, somethings you just need to recast your net and try again. Just because you can't land your dream girl doesn't mean you have been bullied. If that were the case, Pardus would have killed all the sheeps a long time ago.

I'm agreeing with you, I'm not saying that him being turned down by someone he would have forgotten about in a month equates to him being bullied. But everything that has been reported so far points to him getting screwed around with. Is a lot of it him bringing it upon himself? Yeah probably. But that doesn't mean it didnt exist.

I fall into the school of thought of needing to just grow up and learn to deal with it, not everyone is going to like you in life. I was fucked around with in middleschool and the beginning of highschool but I didnt wind up doing a school shooting. I realized that words are just that, words, they hold no power over me. It helped that I got big because of football and wrestling but that's beside the point.

Besides too few people realize that any heartbreak because Stacy turned you down can be solved with some bath oils, Teddy Pendergrass, and Sleepless in Seattle.

Man opens fire inside Oklahoma restaurant before 'armed citizen' shoots, kills him, police say

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this happens a lot more than it’s reported and FOX News might be starting to try to bring attention to it. I like it, make every one of these incidents know. Then after a while put out that all the teachers are packing. Especially since these kids are wanting to be caught now, instead of offing themselves. Might serve as enough of a deterrent.

Man opens fire inside Oklahoma restaurant before 'armed citizen' shoots, kills him, police say

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this happens a lot more than it’s reported and FOX News might be starting to try to bring attention to it. I like it, make every one of these incidents know. Then after a while put out that all the teachers are packing. Especially since these kids are wanting to be caught now, instead of offing themselves. Might serve as enough of a deterrent.

The limb your on certainly appears to be a sturdy one.

I remember years ago, I used to receive Rifleman Magazine as a part of my NRA membership, there was a page in every issue dedicated to just this. I am sure they may have recycled a few stories over the years, as thankfully the sample size is not so overwhelming to necessitate additional pages.

We all know that "celebrating" these actions rarely, if ever, fit the narrative.

What a strange time to be alive, hero's are relegated to footnotes while the criminals and their acts are the focus. Wild. The disheartening part is that this is by design.

I see new news daily regarding utilization of firearms nationwide. These articles depict either actual employment or simple brandishing, that prevents the occurance of or stops in-progress crime. I will disagree with the "recycling stories". It just happens that stories end up sounding about the same, as there's only so much crime that can occur.

eatery was a no-gun zone, patrons had to run out to the car and get their weapons.

eatery was a no-gun zone, patrons had to run out to the car and get their weapons.
It's always interesting to me various state law around this. In MN for instance, other than federal building there is virtually no penalty for carrying where it is 'posted'. The law even permits a carrying person to have a beer as long as (s)he remains under .04.

It took years to get our carry law passed and everything lined up just right when it was. Going on 15 years now.

I see new news daily regarding utilization of firearms nationwide. These articles depict either actual employment or simple brandishing, that prevents the occurance of or stops in-progress crime. I will disagree with the "recycling stories". It just happens that stories end up sounding about the same, as there's only so much crime that can occur.

Was not referring to daily news, only one magazine's section regarding this topic, and yes, some were certainly recycled. word for word, for the very reasons we both mentioned, the sample size just isn't an overwhelming statistic and most go unreported for the most part, and if they are reported, it is not "celebrated" outside of publications that are Pro 2A, Pro CCW, etc.

It's always interesting to me various state law around this. In MN for instance, other than federal building there is virtually no penalty for carrying where it is 'posted'. The law even permits a carrying person to have a beer as long as (s)he remains under .04.

It took years to get our carry law passed and everything lined up just right when it was. Going on 15 years now.
In AZ it seems that proprietors define whether their business is a go/no-go zone.

The restaurant is now saying the are a no-open carry location and concealed carry has always been welcomed.
Which makes me wonder why the weapons were left in cars.

Maybe they were all drinking? CCW permit and booze is frowned upon. I don’t agree with that necessarily, but I wonder if that played a part.

Maybe they were all drinking? CCW permit and booze is frowned upon. I don’t agree with that necessarily, but I wonder if that played a part.
Louie's is usually pretty packed. If I did own a gun, and I'm not saying I do, I wouldn't want to carry in a crowded area where people were bumping, sliding past, etc.

Was not referring to daily news, only one magazine's section regarding this topic, and yes, some were certainly recycled. word for word, for the very reasons we both mentioned, the sample size just isn't an overwhelming statistic and most go unreported for the most part, and if they are reported, it is not "celebrated" outside of publications that are Pro 2A, Pro CCW, etc.

I don't know that defensive uses of firearms "...go unreported for the most part". Some certainly do, but the problem with tracking those that are reported is that there is no specific Uniform Crime Reporting code to indicate a civilian used a firearm defensively. Note that here I refer to defensive uses as those instances where a firearm is displayed but not discharged.

When it's discharged, tracking is much easier. Even amongst law enforcement, where arrests are often made at gun point, tracking incidents where we don't shoot people is problematic. The data elements are in the reports, to be sure, but without a specific UCR to search for querying record management systems can be tedious.

This is first full account I've read from the POV of Scot Peterson, the school resources officer who was vilified for not entering the building during the Parkland school shooting.

I recall prior shootings where multiple officers had been on site and were not permitted to enter a building until SWAT had cleared it....this was one man against an unknown threat. The article gives an interesting perspective...should he have rushed the building in the attempt of finding the source of the shooter(s) or was he right to lock down the building and attempt to direct police where to go.

At the end of the day, based on what I read, this man needs serious help or we will eventually read about him eating his gun.

'It was my job, and I didn't find him': Stoneman Douglas resource officer remains haunted by massacre

I'm moving this to General Discussion. So far these shootings aren't politically motivated and as such do not meet the definition of terrorism.

I don't know that defensive uses of firearms "...go unreported for the most part". Some certainly do, but the problem with tracking those that are reported is that there is no specific Uniform Crime Reporting code to indicate a civilian used a firearm defensively. Note that here I refer to defensive uses as those instances where a firearm is displayed but not discharged.

When it's discharged, tracking is much easier. Even amongst law enforcement, where arrests are often made at gun point, tracking incidents where we don't shoot people is problematic. The data elements are in the reports, to be sure, but without a specific UCR to search for querying record management systems can be tedious.

For clarity: By unreported I am referring to reporting via wide media coverage (wide being outside the general area of occurrence), I obviously should have been more specific in my post, I was not implying that they go unreported to LE. We the people don't hear much if at all about the good guy with a gun so to speak, obviously aside from this most recent incident.

I can imagine that true/clean empirical data would be difficult to come by in whole in the absence of the Uniform Crime Reporting code you mentioned.

I've read as much as I can find in the open, mainly FBI Statistics, numerous think tanks, policy and advocacy groups. Its tough to delouse some of it, as it is readily apparent that there is bias in a lot of the reports (both ways I might add), mainly from the advocacy side of things, again this swings both ways.

If I knew that mate, I'd be a politician instead of a soldier!

Like I said previously, I know it's a complicated issue but something needs to be done. Why does a 19 year old civilian need to be allowed own a rifle? It just makes zero sense to me as someone on the outside looking in.

I can think of several reasons an adult would want a rifle: hunting, sport shooting, and of course protection. If I ever had to protect myself from another human being, especially a group of human beings, I’d want a rifle.

A 19 year old is a full citizen on our country, empowered and some would say expected to protect themselves and their nation. If the person is a male, then he is part of the militia by Title X US Code.

The purpose of having access to firearms under our Co stitutjon is to defend our rights for those who would try and take them. In my opinion, that includes access to the civilian version of the standard light infantry weapons that would be used to oppress them.

Back