Special Operations Corpsman Program?

Technically the Navy has its own concurrent program at JSOMTC. They have their own command and admin system. Navy graduates are not graduates of the SF medic course, they are graduates of the SOIDC course. They are the same curriculum, but carry a different scope of practice. I think the name is NSOMI, Naval Special Operations Medical Institute.

There was also talk, don't know the outcome, of making a generic Navy SOF medic. They could be attached to the SEALs, Recon, and MARSOC teams.

As of now not all MARSOC corpsmen, were or are required to be previous recon guys. Many are, as that seemed to be a lateral move for them. The way that recon and MARSOC select and send their corpsmen was weird to me, as some had completed BRC, and others were "homegrown". Maybe @Teufel has more knowledge than me on that piece..

SOCM is a 40ish week course that teaches you everything you need to know to be a badass front line SOF medic. From anatomy and physiology to surgical airways and everything in between.

There was also talk, don't know the outcome, of making a generic Navy SOF medic. They could be attached to the SEALs, Recon, and MARSOC teams.

As of now not all MARSOC corpsmen, were or are required to be previous recon guys. Many are, as that seemed to be a lateral move for them. The way that recon and MARSOC select and send their corpsmen was weird to me, as some had completed BRC, and others were "homegrown". Maybe @Teufel has more knowledge than me on that piece..

As far as I know, all SARCs still have to attend BRC, airborne, dive, SOCM and dive medicine to earn their NEC. Many go directly to MARSOC (and often pick up the IDC course enroute) but still have to attend BRC not ITC. You can pipeline the courses or home grow a guy but the process is the same. The Navy has talked about changing that but I'll believe it when I see it.

As far as I know, all SARCs still have to attend BRC, airborne, dive, SOCM and dive medicine to earn their NEC. Many go directly to MARSOC (and often pick up the IDC course enroute) but still have to attend BRC not ITC. You can pipeline the courses or home grow a guy but the process is the same. The Navy has talked about changing that but I'll believe it when I see it.

So some of my students were going to MARSOC, these were new guys with no BRC. They also weren't going to ITC, so I guess they just go to BRC after being in MARSOC a while?

The Navy has supplied corpsmen under every conceivable model to Marine SOFish units. The fact is, they have always been undermanned for 8427/8403 and will often "attach" non-8427/8403 HMs. Although there is a "pipeline" on paper, it is usually not followed.

So some of my students were going to MARSOC, these were new guys with no BRC. They also weren't going to ITC, so I guess they just go to BRC after being in MARSOC a while?

I'm not up to date on what MARSOC is doing but they need to have all the schools to get the MOS/NEC. Everyone is critically short so they be doing this as a stop gap measure.

SOCP used to be the prep course for fresh Corpsman at A-School to try out for pipeline slots for SARC, DMT, and SAR.

Due to A-School not being deemed a "high risk training area" SOCP is no longer there the same way it used to be.

HOWEVER, there IS a SOF Corpsman on deck down there to help get the right guys where they need to be. He will come in and he will ask for a raise of hands for who is interested in SOF.

SOURCE: I just called down to the schoolhouse.

Last edited:
images

Back