TACP cross train for FTA

nitrohuck

USAF
Verified Military
Well after over a year in the CCT pipeline I failed a big final eval and was removed from the pipeline. I've been recently placed into training for an AFSC that is far from fitting for me, so I am looking to the future, and plan to retrain.

May 2019 I will be hitting my two year mark and will be putting in a package to cross train TACP, and from everything as I understand it, that is the earliest I can retrain as per AF publications. That said, I have heard from a few people that it is possible to even get released from your AFSC earlier than that if you are retraining into a battlefield position, has anyone else heard info that would confirm this?

I will be heading into my gaining base's career education and dev center once I arrive at my duty station, and I would like to go in there with as much information as possible regarding cross training back into the BA world, so I am asking for any advice you all may have as to common pitfalls/hangups that first term airmen may run into when trying to get this process kick started in the admin offices so that I can try and make this transition go smoothly.

Also, how long does the retrain process usually take? If I were to put in a package in May would it be reasonable to expect a quick turn around? Or is it likely that I wouldn't be back at Medina until at least Fall of 2019? I am Airborne qualified and have completed SERE during my time in the CCT pipeline, hopefully those two schools will help make me a stronger candidate for TACP retraining, but I am trying to gather as much info as I can from folks who are likely well more versed in this process than I. Any help is much appreciated,

As someone who washed out of a battlefield airman career, I can tell you from first hand experience a couple of the hangups you're going to see. The first one being yourself. A very large majority of people who fail a pipeline end up being complete assholes because they think they're better than everyone else. They think that because they got jump qualified and went to SERE that whatever career they're in now is 100% below them. I bring this up because when you get to your base and your leadership sees a cocky, self-centered BA washout that has zero desire to do their current job, why on earth would they help you drop a retraining package? Not at all saying this will be you, but you will see it is others and see how it negatively effects everything they do in the Air Force.

The second thing is dependent on what career you're headed to. I came to medical, and at the point that I was looking at potentially retraining, my careerfield wasnt releasing anyone out unless they were going to a specific shred out of the AFSC. If you get stuck with a critically manned job, it will only be harder. If there are programs to get you out early, I have no idea what they are but again Im not looking to cross train any more.

The last thing you need to watch out for (which ties into number 1) is that you aren't the first BA washout your leadership has seen try to retrain. And at this point they may or may not be super salty about it. My first supervisor told me before I could even open my mouth that he didnt want to hear the words retrain or cross train until I finished my 5 level CDCs. That was probably the best advice I got as a young airman, because if you arent qualified to do your job now then no one is going to recommend that package to go to a different AFSC.

I truly hope the best for you, but keep in mind that you arent in a unique situation. This happens every week, month and year, so be patient, work your ass off, and good things will follow.

Last edited:
Good advice for sure, and I have definitely been keen to avoid that type of bravado in adjusting to this new Air Force lifestyle. It certainly will make one stand out as an ass and make anyone less likely to want to help me reach my goals.

I am currently in Emergency Management training out at Fort Leonard Wood, and luckily it seems that they do not often get BA washouts into their career field from what I have been able to glean from the instructors. It does happen now and again but seems to be rare.

Granted every situation is different, but if I were told to finish my 5 level CDC's before talking about cross training I would fear that my window would come to a close during that period of time, so I am sort of hung up on how best to approach my leadership in a manner that is both positive yet also direct about my intentions, but that aspect is on me to feel out as I go. Am I correct in thinking that the memorandum is still in place that says if I qualify for a BA job that my CFM is required to release me?

@DA SWO did you mean to ask me where I am currently or at what point did I washout? I failed pushups on my 90 day eval at ATC if that was what you were asking. It was a long road to that point, and definitely was a huge disappointment, but it is what it is.

Back