UNDOF Observers kidnapped by al Qaeda offshoot

Nothing says F*ck you UN, like er... saying F*ck you UN.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/filipino-force-defied-un-commander-in-golan-crisis/

The Philippine military said Monday that a UN peacekeeping commander in the Golan Heights should be investigated for allegedly asking Filipino troops to surrender to Syrian rebels who had attacked and surrounded their camp.
Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang said he advised the 40 Filipino peacekeepers not to lay down their arms, and they defied the UN peacekeeping commander’s order. Instead, they staged a daring escape from the Golan camp over the weekend, ending a tense, dayslong standoff.

The story should ID the UN Commander.

Went and found it.

Lieutenant General Iqbal Singh Singha

Indian Army.
Dumbass.

LOL, Pardus posted as I was typing an edit.

Last edited:
The story should ID the UN Commander.

The commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force, or UNDOF, which supervises the peacekeeping mission in Golan, was overseeing talks with the Syrian rebels to secure the freedom of the Fijians. However, Catapang said he would not agree to any resolution of the hostage crisis that would put Filipino troops in grave danger.

When the besieged Filipino troops sought his advice after they were ordered to lay down their arms as part of an arrangement with the rebels to secure the Fijians' release, Catapang said he asked them to defy the order.

Catapang said an investigation would allow the UNDOF commander to explain his side and the Philippine military to explain why it advised the Filipino peacekeepers to defy his order.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/filipino-force-defied-commander-golan-crisis-25201618
----------------------------------------------------------------

UNDOF Force Commander and Head of Mission

Lieutenant General I S Singha. Indian Army.

MakeThumbnail.aspx.jpg

Ironically the former commander was Filipino...

PH troops repel Syrian rebels
Filipinos escape massacre in another UN camp
Cynthia D. Balana |Philippine Daily Inquirer
2:50 am | Sunday, August 31st, 2014

Forty Filipino peacekeepers are battling heavily armed Syrian rebels who are trying to overrun their United Nations encampment on the Golan Heights, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said on Saturday.

“They have high morale,” Gazmin told reporters, referring to the group of Filipino peacekeepers defending Area Position 68 of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (Undof) on the Golan Heights.

Gazmin said the rebels attacked Area Position 68, about 4 kilometers from Area Position 69, after noon but were repulsed by the Filipinos.

The fire fight was going on between the Filipino peacekeepers and the rebels as of 5 p.m. in Manila.

Gazmin said the Filipinos had reported no casualties. He praised the elite troops’ courage and “high morale.”

A military official who asked not to be identified said the Filipino troops manning Area Positions 68 and 69 belonged to the Philippine Army’s elite Scout Rangers and Special Forces.

Gazmin said a second group of 35 Filipino peacekeepers manning Area Position 69 in the UN-controlled buffer zone between Israel and Syria were “extricated” after Syrian troops came to reinforce the Philippine troops when the rebels attacked at 6 a.m.

In a post on its website, the Irish Mirror said the Filipinos managed to escape from their besieged post but were chased by the rebels.

Irish peacekeepers, however, saved the Filipinos from “a massacre by securing an escape route” for them “near the Israeli-Syrian border,” the Mirror said.

The military official who asked for anonymity said the decision to extricate the Philippine forces from Area Position 69 was made by the Undof commander and not by the Philippine government.

On Friday, the United Nations ordered 58 Filipino peacekeepers moved from Area Position 60 to Undof headquarters in Camp Faouar.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/110271/ph-troops-repel-syrian-rebels#ixzz3C7vR5dkB

Surrender to Islamic anything? Yeah, Ok...

After being involved in a seven hour firefight with them no less!

I've mates who were out there last year and the stories that came back about the Force Commander means this development isnt even really surprising. He should be out of a job after this.

I'm just glad this is resolved. I don't know how many more "Negotiations by Kerry" the ME can stand....

I'm just glad this is resolved. I don't know how many more "Negotiations by Kerry" the ME can stand....

Well the Fijians are still being held so the Great White Hope may be called upon again to get his negotiation on!

I heard the Israelis provided "air support" and the Syrians provided "arty support" to keep one of the camps from being overrun.
Israel did not assist the Syrians in any way. Where this may have been confused is that 2 things happened:
1) The Syrians launched air strikes on the rebels at Qunetra
1.1) This is very sigificant as Qunetra is in a buffer zone (Syrian side) and the Syrians are not allowed to fly there
1.2) Israel would have had to OK this or would have shot the Syrian aircraft down

2) A Syrian drone strayed into actual Israeli airspace and was destroyed by a Patriot Missile (Thanks USA!)
2.1) This is being treated as a navigation error and not any hostile move

Points 1 and 2 clearly indicate that Israel prefers Assad's troops manning the Qunetra border crossing, but have not taken any actions on or over Syrian ground and are rather watching with concern

I don't know if kit's making international news, but alsot daily stray small arms and mortars are landing in Israel proper from the fighting in Syria. When intentionally targeting Israel, Isrel has responded with Artillery fire toward the source of hostilities.

It is indeed a tough neighborhood!

Hoepoe

@hoepoe Thank you for your insight into this complicated situation. I think with all the "shit" going on in the world, our media is limiting resources to your AO; seems the Russians and ISIS in Iraq have taken over.

How fucked are things when you (me) want Russia to jump in and kick arse?

Back