Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolusername

Unverified
I have started the process of enlisting as a 68W. I have parental consent and am trying to get Airborne and hopefully put in a packet to RASP1. I will sign in December and ship ASAP after that. One question I have is what are the barracks like in 2019. I hear some are nice and some not so much.

Thanks while I am not expecting luxury or comfort, it's good to know I won't deal with rats and black mold (at AIT anyway)

I went through the Combat medic course at Ft. Sam in early 1980. I vaguely remember the barracks being okay. I was either too busy keeping my squad's shit straight. Or having a cold one at Durty Nelly's down on the Paseo Del Rio.
I think that the training tempo that you will be following. Will probably sideline any hygiene concerns you may have. You will be out at a lovely place called Camp Bullis for field problems for the most part. I think, not sure, that a lot of the classroom stuff is out there as well now.
Focus on your goal and let the stuff that really doesn't matter go. If you get through the training to become a Combat Medic. You will more than likely be faced with more pressing things.
You're going there for the knowledge and experience, not the accommodations. Trust me, I went to the bio defense program straight out of AIT. I'll take black mold and rats any day of the week. Over some the biological contaminants I've encountered.

Last edited:
I went through the Combat medic course at Ft. Sam in early 1980. I vaguely remember the barracks being okay. I was either too busy keeping my squad's shit straight. Or having a cold one at Durty Nelly's down on the Paseo Del Rio.
I think that the training tempo that you will be following. Will probably sideline any hygiene concerns you may have. You will be out at a lovely place called Camp Bullis for field problems for the most part. I think, not sure, that a lot of the classroom stuff is out there as well now.
Focus on your goal and let the stuff that really doesn't matter go. If you get through the training to become a Combat Medic. You will more than likely be faced with more pressing things.
You're going there for the knowledge and experience, not the accommodations. Trust me, I went to the bio defense program straight out of AIT. I'll take black mold and rats any day of the week. Over some the biological contaminants I've encountered.
Barracks and "campus" AKA Medical Training Center were rebuilt after the BRAC.
Really nice looking now.

Barracks and "campus" AKA Medical Training Center were rebuilt after the BRAC.
Really nice looking now.
Yea, when I was there you fell in for muster under the building. Concrete columns all over. We were 2nd training Batt. Right across the road from it was a nice stream. Just trying to recall, been awhile.
I do vividly remember sweating balls at Bullis. Schoolhouse were some old T buildings and quonset huts. We were right next to what was called Echo co./ Goat Lab. I believe that is what used to pass for part of SOCM now. Things are way different now. I was a Candy Striper before they had SFAS. Until I got invited to go play germ warfare SAR. They wanted the top 2% of the class for the expansion of the Aeromedical Isolation Teams at Ft. Detrick.

Yea, when I was there you fell in for muster under the building. Concrete columns all over. We were 2nd training Batt. Right across the road from it was a nice stream. Just trying to recall, been awhile.
I do vividly remember sweating balls at Bullis. Schoolhouse were some old T buildings and quonset huts. We were right next to what was called Echo co./ Goat Lab. I believe that is what used to pass for part of SOCM now. Things are way different now. I was a Candy Striper before they had SFAS. Until I got invited to go play germ warfare SAR. They wanted the top 2% of the class for the expansion of the Aeromedical Isolation Teams at Ft. Detrick.

Nobody cares about the 1980s

@11Bull, that is why our culture is suffering. Because padawans such as you. Falsely believe that your way is the best. Well you are entitled to that. However, when addressing me please check your petulance at the door. Jabs through a computer screen are pretty elementary and show. That you exhibit ZERO class when you open your facial sphincter. Move along now little grunt boy.

And we will call an all-stop there, the message has been made pretty clear.

@11Bull - no need or desire for a response from you. Just adjust and carry on...or not.

@Tinman6 - we try to do without the name calling. It just unnecessarily escalates.

Everyone else - back on topic please.

Those of us that were AD in the 80s do

I understand that, but this kid asked about the barracks situation and talking about the 80s isn't helpful. Pre GWOT vets are the worst when it comes to talking about the military. Everything has changed. I get it, you were a POG with no deployments but somehow your experience was so much harder than us millennials.

Last time I checked we deployed 11 times and the SOST's stay deployed. Not harder @11Bull, just different. Nah, HARDER, there were only ever right around 50 people on the Teams I deployed with. Our tempo and medical augmentation, to protect us from our operational environments. Took a toll on all of us man. We did not have the BIG Army at our backs. We were quiet professionals just doing the best we could. So that future generations, you, could breathe a little easier. So that you could prosecute your mission objectives on today's battlefields.
My son was an 11B with 2nd ID 2nd RCT "Manchus" at Camp Corregidor. He and his contemporaries were grateful for us POG's/ Medics. Also, I didn't get to slap the first band-aid on. Without first having been an integral part of securing the objective. Then performing my job as a combat medic.
So, why isn't our input helpful? Please explain that one to me in a rational manner. Last time I looked the doctrine hadn't changed a lot between then and now. All of my NCO's along with quite a few officers were 'Nam vets.
Your statement would be akin to me saying my Grandfather's service with the 101st as a rigger during WW 2 means nothing. I would say he is one of the original SOF dudes from way back.
He may not have packed your chute. But, I would venture to say your silk bloomed in some small part because of his contribution.
You are the evolution of generations past man. The 2.0 of myself and my contemporaries. I am proud of the sacrifices that your generation is making NOW. I'm just trying to keep the memories of those before you relevant. Because, not everyone of your generation feels the way that you do.
So even if you do not choose to pay deference to those before you. There are a lot of your particular generation that do.
So, we can agree to disagree. Because that is the way of the world Brother.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back