US Army SOF Photos

72d4bb.jpg

Soldiers from the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) board a vessel during a Maritime Interdiction Operation training exercise on May 18, 2011. The training was conducted to increase the Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha's offshore assault capabilities. US Army photo by Staff Sgt. Tobias McCoy

Very interesting to see Army SOF doing maritime interdiction operations.

2mcjam9.jpg

Soldiers from Alpha Company, 4th Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) fast-rope from a MH-47 Chinook helicopter at Sabre Army Air Field on Fort Campbell, Ky., March 21. The training conducted was part of the unit's routine training in preparation for deployment. (Photo by Staff Sgt. Ernest Henry)

^^ JackMurphyRGR has an interesting comment about that 5th Grp photo:
CIF teams from 5th SFG conducting maritime interdiction training. The not-so-funny thing is that I knew about this but wasn't going to say anything about it in order to maintain OPSEC. Then the Army goes ahead and publishes this photo. I guess they have their reasons, I'm not sharpshooting them for it. It's just strange what information is considered sensitive and what isn't. -Jack

I'm only half-joking when I say if the SEALs can operate in Afghanistan then SF can take down ships.

Seriously, I'd be less concerned about them doing the mission than what missions are they not training for so they can train to conduct VBSS? In light of the plethora of complaints concerning SF becoming DA focused and moving away from FID/ UW, this isn't helping, but let the UWO teams do it and add a capability to the commander's toolbag.

At the end of the day for me and for 99% of the board, there's more important shit to worry about.

I'm only half-joking when I say if the SEALs can operate in Afghanistan then SF can take down ships.

Seriously, I'd be less concerned about them doing the mission than what missions are they not training for so they can train to conduct VBSS? In light of the plethora of complaints concerning SF becoming DA focused and moving away from FID/ UW, this isn't helping, but let the UWO teams do it and add a capability to the commander's toolbag.

At the end of the day for me and for 99% of the board, there's more important shit to worry about.

Gonna be a tough ride in a zodiac!

A SBU without a SEAL team nearby? Since when?

Well the CIF is intended to be DA focused so while I agree with what you are getting at, I don't think this particular activity takes away from the FID/UW mission that SF as a whole conducts.

Is it that bad? :D
Well it's an exaggeration, but we use to take these swim test before doing water jumps. They were more difficult than the ditch gear and swim 15-100m, but they weren't much more difficult and guys would just get their asses kicked.

You must have been around some shitty swimmers! whenever we did it there were only a few guys that would fuck it up.
I don't know I was being strap hanger on a C co jump:-" . There was a hosh posh from all the companies, but I was at the back of the line and got to see everybody's remarks after finishing and all the failures as well. I was legitimately worried it was going to be really hard. I even had to rescue swim SSG Pope who everybody said sank like a rock.

Back