Wearable Computer

Red-Dot

Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
Glad to see things are lightening up a bit....

Black Diamond Advanced Technology Delivers MTS to ANG and AFRC

Earlier this year the US Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) selected the Black Diamond Advanced Technology Modular Tactical System (MTS) as their next-generation Operator Control System (OCS). Used by Special Operations Forces and Joint Terminal Attack Controllers, the Battlefield Air Operations (BAO) OCS is a wearable solution, incorporating a tactical vest with power management and a rugged computing device, designed for dismounted Close Air Support operations and communications control.

Bow, they have completed delivery of 92 MTS kits to several units within the United States Air National Guard (ANG) and Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC). Additionally, Black Diamond is now training end-users on the proper operation and employment of the MTS.
The MTS units will be used by Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) personnel within select ANG Air Support Operations Squadrons (ASOS), and Guardian Angel Combat Rescue Officer Team Commanders (CROTCs) and Pararescue Team Leaders (PJTLs) within the 10th AFRC.
TACP personnel within 13 different ANG ASOS elements make up an elite combat force whose mission is to provide airspace deconfliction and close air support for ground troops. TACPs will receive training on using the MTS in a dismounted role to digitally aid their mission of precision terminal attack guidance including targeting, communications management, and other command and control functions.
The 10th Air Force houses the Combat Air Forces components of AFRC. CROTCs and PJTLs at a number of these installations will receive equipment and training from Black Diamond Advanced Technology, enabling them to aid their vital personnel recovery mission and provide emergency medical care and evacuation in combat and humanitarian operations.
Black Diamond Advanced Technology specializes in wearable computer and communications systems that treat the warfighter as a system, allowing foot-mobile operation while carrying less weight and providing unobstructed access to ammunition, hydration and other mission-critical equipment. The MTS is primarily used by SOF personnel for a variety of missions including Precision Targeting, C4ISR, SA, EOD and UAS/UGV control. MTS has been fielded in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) since 2010.

Red-Dot can you provide a link to the article?

That sounds pretty cool, I'd love to play around with it and see its capabilities.

Here's the company site info.
MTS Overview
callout-overview.jpg

Tactical I/O Hub

Adds additional interfaces: USB and RS-232. Stowed inside cummerbund, easily accessible for intermittent or continual use.

Universal Tactical Display (UTD)

Remote 6.5-inch sunlight-viewable touchscreen display. Worn on front vest panel. Easily opened and closed with one hand.

Tactical Vests / Plate Carriers

The MTS is designed to adapt to any tactical plate carrier. BDAT also offers fully integrated wearable solutions that include modifications to existing platforms for optimized cable routing and component placement.

GPS Module

All-in-one commercial GPS, worn on left shoulder with clear view of sky.

Tactical Mission Controller (TMC)

Tactical computing core, system power manager, and peripheral controller. Worn on upper-rear vest panel or integrated with an assault / carry pack.

Cables & Cable Management

Cables for adapting the MTS to the Human-Machine-Interface and tactical peripherals. Off-the-shelf (OTS) solutions for plug-n-play compatibility with fielded peripherals. Cables are routed through the vest and cummerbund.

The Modular Tactical System (MTS), provides the dismounted warfighter with an ultra-rugged, wearable capability for C4ISR, situational awareness, precision targeting, and common control operations that integrates power distribution, radio/peripheral control and computing functions into the plate carrier for use in a tactical environment.
Optimized for dismounted C4ISR

• Full integration with uniform ensemble
  • Option for 3-day assault pack
  • Daylight-viewable/NVG compatible display or hands free display
  • Intuitive software interface consolidates C2/SA information on single display
Multi-mission flexibility

• Targeting
  • Combat Medic/MEDEVAC
  • Intelligence (speech translation, Sensitive Site Exploitation, Biometrics, Forensics)
  • Unmanned vehicle control
  • EOD
Now available off-the-shelf

• Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 9 product
  • Deployed in Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan
Interoperable with fielded equipment and software

• Radios, batteries and power systems
  • System integrates on most tactical plate carriers with a new cummerbund for cable management.
  • Common mapping, CAS, and C2/SA applications
  • Helmet mounted displays
  • Peripherals
  • Video Down Link receivers
  • System can also be integrated into a bag for a more self contained operational capability.
pp-lg-mts.jpg
pp-lg-mts-top.jpg
pp-lg-mts-back.jpg

I wonder if looking down all the time will impact situation awareness?

I personally don't think there's much looking down that has/does occur, unless there's specific tasks that to be honest you'd be doing the swedish chef on your ruck to break out all the related hardware to accomplish... vs this effectively single solution geek warfare unit that makes my keyboard fingers quiver with jealousy.

If anything, it adds SA since it is handling multiple tasks for you with minimal input. I can see enroute/followon frago's being uberslick and quick as fuck with just one of these, especially with a push from multiple directions for data.

I personally don't think there's much looking down that has/does occur, unless there's specific tasks that to be honest you'd be doing the swedish chef on your ruck to break out all the related hardware to accomplish... vs this effectively single solution geek warfare unit that makes my keyboard fingers quiver with jealousy.

If anything, it adds SA since it is handling multiple tasks for you with minimal input. I can see enroute/followon frago's being uberslick and quick as fuck with just one of these, especially with a push from multiple directions for data.
I imagine it will all become moot when they start incorporating "Google Glass" (ie JTAC or any of a number of similar projects I'm sure are underway):
http://www.techandinnovationdaily.com/2013/07/10/raytheon-joint-tactical-air-controller/

Technology is evolving so rapidly now that potential capabilities seem truly amazing.

Only if they incorporate optical tracking which would be quicker as well as more tactically friendly than having to mutter to your headset to issue it commands while you've got someone next to you screaming, squad/platoon leaders hollering at you, higher asking why you need that 155 battery to shoot EVERYTHING, and some aircraft saying that they're not going to fly in there because it's too hot.

I hav
Glad to see things are lightening up a bit....

Black Diamond Advanced Technology Delivers MTS to ANG and AFRC

Earlier this year the US Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) selected the Black Diamond Advanced Technology Modular Tactical System (MTS) as their next-generation Operator Control System (OCS). Used by Special Operations Forces and Joint Terminal Attack Controllers, the Battlefield Air Operations (BAO) OCS is a wearable solution, incorporating a tactical vest with power management and a rugged computing device, designed for dismounted Close Air Support operations and communications control.

Bow, they have completed delivery of 92 MTS kits to several units within the United States Air National Guard (ANG) and Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC). Additionally, Black Diamond is now training end-users on the proper operation and employment of the MTS.
The MTS units will be used by Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) personnel within select ANG Air Support Operations Squadrons (ASOS), and Guardian Angel Combat Rescue Officer Team Commanders (CROTCs) and Pararescue Team Leaders (PJTLs) within the 10th AFRC.
TACP personnel ..........

I have seen computers with literally 2TB of SSD held in a hard drive the size of a poker card, and 1/4 inch thick, with 3 USB 3.0 (1 gb/s max write speed) ports, swappable with up to 32 gb of RAM (not rom, freakin RAM), and a VGA or HDMI input that are 5" by 5" and weigh 12 ounces. Granted, they are $1800 and come with Windows 10 (aka the OS that lets hackers know "golly gee, come steal my fuckin identity through the 8,599 backdoors Microsoft programmed into this to spy on us, because I guess the NSA needs to know I watch too many Lexi Belle and KAyden Kross starring motion pictures".), but scrapping that system for a solid Linux Mint or Elementary OS is a breeze.

This, though, is WAY cooler

I hav

I have seen computers with literally 2TB of SSD held in a hard drive the size of a poker card, and 1/4 inch thick, with 3 USB 3.0 (1 gb/s max write speed) ports, swappable with up to 32 gb of RAM (not rom, freakin RAM), and a VGA or HDMI input that are 5" by 5" and weigh 12 ounces. Granted, they are $1800 and come with Windows 10 (aka the OS that lets hackers know "golly gee, come steal my fuckin identity through the 8,599 backdoors Microsoft programmed into this to spy on us, because I guess the NSA needs to know I watch too many Lexi Belle and KAyden Kross starring motion pictures".), but scrapping that system for a solid Linux Mint or Elementary OS is a breeze.

This, though, is WAY cooler

They need to not only have VOIP / AES256-Swordfish comms encryption with GPS and whatnot, but maybe a Partition divide with a SOCOM version of Kali Linux installed, especially with Snort, ettercap, Wireshark, the entire ReconNaiSaNnCE section and of course a VPN via SSH tunnel with 2056 bit encryption to a remote desktop running those DOD internet equivalents...can't remember the names, but there is like NSA net, Secret Net, TS/SCI net....

Back