Written Land Navigation test?

Kasrkin

Army
Verified Military
Hey guys,

Welp, SFRE is this weekend. I've prepared like mad, got my 300 APFT, been rucking on the weekends, run times are good.... I am as ready as I'll ever be.

One question popped up as I re-read the MOI. It says there will be 'written and practical land navigation tests.'

Now I assume for practical it means actually, you know, the classic 'here are your points, find them on the map, shoot an azimuth etc etc.' I know all that.

What would the written portion consist of?

I have never taken an SFRE specific written test, but we did take written land nav tests in the TACP pipeline, and at my first ASOS. The questions consisted of basic knowledge needed to perform land nav. How do you take a back azimuth? What is declination? How many meters off of your point will you be for each degree of error at a certain distance? Etc.

Huh, okay, interesting. Is there a study guide or something for me to read to prep, or do they just throw it at you? For example, I know what a back azimuth and a declination are, since that's kind of common knowledge, but I have no idea how many meters off a point I would be for each degree of error.

I would hate to get ganked over something I didn't even know to brush up on.

Huh, okay, interesting. Is there a study guide or something for me to read to prep, or do they just throw it at you? For example, I know what a back azimuth and a declination are, since that's kind of common knowledge, but I have no idea how many meters off a point I would be for each degree of error.

I would hate to get ganked over something I didn't even know to brush up on.

We just use the Army FM for land nav. 3-25.26

FM 3-25.26 (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

ABC or D which represents a ridge line on a map? Etc is going to be like questions

ABC or D which represents a ridge line on a map? Etc is going to be like questions

I think the Army still requires basic paper map reading skills? Identify terrain features, manmade objects, locate points 6 & 8 digit, on a map. Estimate straight line and road distance, basic training stuff.

I think the Army still requires basic paper map reading skills? Identify terrain features, manmade objects, locate points 6 & 8 digit, on a map. Estimate straight line and road distance, basic training stuff.
Talking about the writt n part

Back