Your 2023 relieved Naval Commander Thread

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nordeen was being screened for a carrier. Not anymore!

I looked up his bio. Yeah, he was going to screen for a carrier. He’d already done a tour as USS GW’s XO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nordeen was being screened for a carrier. Not anymore!

I looked up his bio. Yeah, he was going to screen for a carrier. He’d already done a tour as USS GW’s XO.

Did you see his background? Enlisted in the army, went to West Point, decided to commission in the Navy. Not that is meaningful here, just interesting.

Both firings were due to a “loss of confidence” in Jenkins and Nordeen’s ability to command. The Navy did not provide any further information about the cause of the reliefs.

Is it as easy as it appears to … torpedo an Officer’s career like this? I get ‘accountable for everything that happens on your ship’ but some of the ticky-tac excuses I see for firing a skipper seem a lot more like an axe-to-grind than genuine failure in leadership.

Both firings were due to a “loss of confidence” in Jenkins and Nordeen’s ability to command. The Navy did not provide any further information about the cause of the reliefs.

Is it as easy as it appears to … torpedo an Officer’s career like this? I get ‘accountable for everything that happens on your ship’ but some of the ticky-tac excuses I see for firing a skipper seem a lot more like an axe-to-grind than genuine failure in leadership.

Yes, it is that easy. "Loss of confidence" is the overly broad 'bucket' of anything the Navy wants it to be.

I totally agree, the Navy seems to relieve a lot of COs because of ticky-tack bullshit.

My bro-in-law did Navy ROTC at Georgia Tech; one of his friends is a nuke sub CO. I have asked my BIL if he could get me in touch, I have some navy leadership-specific questions along these lines and want some contemporary insight. Yeah, I was an officer, but never in command of more than a division of about a dozen sailors.

Future Hive GIF

Now wait a minute ye who are quick to condemn…this is a side-launched slipway and that’s the way it happens.IMG_2271.jpeg
LCS 19 USS St Louis being launched 2018.

So the tugboat captain is at fault here. He positioned his boat too close. I rest my case. If you know of any SEALs charged with murder, tell them to give me a call.

Now wait a minute ye who are quick to condemn…this is a side-launched slipway and that’s the way it happens.View attachment 42052
LCS 19 USS St Louis being launched 2018.

So the tugboat captain is at fault here. He positioned his boat too close. I rest my case. If you know of any SEALs charged with murder, tell them to give me a call.
Eddie G. will have a video soon enough. Probably Goggins as well, but he'll be screaming so it could be about the LCS or cheeseburgers, we'll never know.

What’s the normal number of Navy leaders to get fired from those types of positions in a year? Because it seems like it has been happening a lot lately. And it is more than normal, why is that? Are the Navy’s standards unrealistic? Are we putting the wrong people in charge? Is there suddenly an outbreak of the dumb within Navy leadership? …?

What’s the normal number of Navy leaders to get fired from those types of positions in a year? Because it seems like it has been happening a lot lately. And it is more than normal, why is that? Are the Navy’s standards unrealistic? Are we putting the wrong people in charge? Is there suddenly an outbreak of the dumb within Navy leadership? …?

In typical Navy leadership fashion, they say one thing (zero defect is an impossible goal, we need good leaders who can exercise good judgment in spite of that) and do another (we are firing you because we expect zero defect leadership). So yes, standards are unrealistic. It is most pronounced with the boat people (surface/sub) and brown shoe Navy (aviation), but really does affect anyone in senior leadership of any community. It's just quieter in the other communities and don't make the news as much.

Not sure it's just the wrong people making command. By the time they get there they have undergone a lot of scrutiny and other jobs to get there. I am not sure that people are diamonds on the way up then suddenly become a turd.

My brother-in-law's college roommate and best friend just took command of a nuke sub, I have asked if I could chat with him for a few minutes to ask these types of questions. If I can, I will post the convo.

Back