Not Work Safe :

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
Just as an FYI, that has been debunked. There was a real memo to the city council that said the police were going to have to alter their tactics. The one that was supposedly sent to the residents never happened. Fake News.
I gotcha. I thought it was funny Spongebob meme, so I posted it anyway.

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
Algebra at such young age huh. Wasn't actualy so uncommon in ancient times.

My issue with that though is, the kid clearly hasn't been taught to think that way.
I remember algebra being waaay different.

Gordus

I remember algebra being waaay different.
It kinda sorta is in a 10+x=8+5 way. x=3. Decomposed, you break down the 5 into 2 + 3. Add the 2 to the 8 and then the remaining 3. I think the teacher intended a logic exercise to stimulate more advanced thinking, but maybe a bit too complicated and advanced at such a young age. Dunno. I'm honestly mixed about it.

Last edited:

medicchick

Farking hot weather
It kinda sorta is in a 10+x=8+5 way. x=3. Decomposed, you break down the 5 into 2 + 3. Add the 2 to the 8 and then the remaining 3. I think the teacher intended a logic exercise to stimulate more advanced thinking, but maybe a bit too complicated and advanced at such a young age. Dunno. I'm honestly mixed about it.
No that's just how they try and teach basic math now.

Ranger Psych

Ranger
Verified SOF
The problem doesn't NEED algebra though, that's the biggest problem with it. It's 8 plus 5, that's it. It's over-complicating the issue at hand for no valid purpose or utility.

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
Honestly, Common Core makes no sense to me. #Thanks Obama

What's silly are my childhood friends, who teach at the elementary school level, tell me they'll quietly teach students regular math on the sly. :ROFLMAO:
I thought it was hilarious the first time they mentioned that.

Gordus

The problem doesn't NEED algebra though, that's the biggest problem with it. It's 8 plus 5, that's it. It's over-complicating the issue at hand for no valid purpose or utility.
I agree with you guys. Just trying to think of reasons why they would teach it that way. I think it was meant well, or at least not in malicious intent. But yeah.