Not Work Safe :

SaintKP

I agree with you guys. Just trying to think of reasons why they would teach it that way. I think it was meant well, or at least not in malicious intent. But yeah.
Only guess would be to think abstractly (don't know if that's the correct word for what I mean) on problem solving. Having a problem say 8+5=10 explain why isn't intuitive, and requires some out of the box thinking which goes against the grain of the kind of math almost all of us here learned.

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Honestly, Common Core makes no sense to me. #Thanks Obama

What's silly are my childhood friends, who teach at the elementary school level, tell me they'll quietly teach students regular math on the sly. :ROFLMAO:
I thought it was hilarious the first time they mentioned that.
Dislike because Common Core was given to us via George W Bush and the No Child Left Behind Act.

Dame

Only guess would be to think abstractly (don't know if that's the correct word for what I mean) on problem solving. Having a problem say 8+5=10 explain why isn't intuitive, and requires some out of the box thinking which goes against the grain of the kind of math almost all of us here learned.
Yeah, that is definity the goal. But I understand the criticism.
You guys are maybe not gonna like my answer but here's the deal.
They are trying to get neuro-typical kids to think like autists. It's stupid (yes, that's a technical term). As soon as I started looking at common core math I knew what they were doing. Again, it's stupid. You can't make someone change their basic learning style. It's as wrong as expecting an autist to NOT see the problems in their head and move numbers around.
@Ranger Psych is right. They are complicating the issue and trying to use students as guinea pigs to see if it can be done.
Do I have proof? Is this some kind of Ender's Game conspiracy? No.
But I know what I see in my head.

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
They are trying to get neuro-typical kids to think like autists. It's stupid (yes, that's a technical term). As soon as I started looking at common core math I knew what they were doing. Again, it's stupid. You can't make someone change their basic learning style. It's as wrong as expecting an autist to NOT see the problems in their head and move numbers around.
@Ranger Psych is right. They are complicating the issue and trying to use students as guinea pigs to see if it can be done.
Do I have proof? Is this some kind of Ender's Game conspiracy? No.
But I know what I see in my head.
Reminds me of the evolutionary processes in which tool use is passed amongst lower primates. Check out the video's below of the Capuchin monkey using rocks to crack nuts and the Japanese Macaques washing yams.
What isn't mentioned in the videos is that only the younger generations of monkey are able to master those techniques. They then pass those same methods on to subsequent generations. (Older monkeys exposed to same techniques don't successfully learn them and subsequently never pass those methods on.)

Reason I mention this is because the way you described the workings of common core. In that, CC is eerily reminiscent of some of the behavioral experiments done with lesser apes dealing with tool use and brain development.

Last edited:

Gordus

No I agree with you. That's precicely the issue I got with it.

My mom took me to see Porky's when it came out in 1981. I was 11. She had no idea what it was about. Neither of us made eye contact, and we never, ever talked about that move.
Didn't see that one, but sounds about right lol

D

Deleted member 15200

That is a very strange math problem. My intuition was to just subtract 3. Writing 8+5 is the same thing as writing 13. So, to make 10 from 13, you need to subtract 3. "Stealing" 2 from the 5 and putting it on the 8 is just bizarre. But what do I know, I only have a degree in physics....