Contract Advice

Renholder

Unverified
Greetings,

Originally, I wanted a Recon contract, but was advised against it heavily. I signed an 03xx contract under the notion that I'd be able to volunteer. I learned later from Teufel that it was impossible to volunteer at SOI East since there are no Reconnaissance staff stationed there.

I consulted my recruiter and he said that there are no Recon contracts for my April ship date. There is one available in June, but he said the people above him wouldn't change my ship date. I would have to find someone to take my spot since April is a very unpopular month to ship. He seemed very honest about this and even had a GySgt tell me the same thing.

Should I fight to get my contract changed and risk getting kicked out of the DEP? Or should I just ship and hope that I will be able to take the indoc?

It's a big decision I've been wrestling with for the last few weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ooh-Rah

Semper Fi
:wall:

1) Who advised you against a Recon contract?

2) You signed a contract, you have a ship date.

3) "He (recruiter) seemed very honest about this and even had a GySgt tell me the same thing." :ROFLMAO:

4) How would fighting to get your contract changed get you kicked out of DEP? Your recruiter has zero incentive to help you now; as far as he's concerned, your next stop are the yellow foot prints.

5) Did you research the topic on line? I did, and found a myriad of topics - here's one: Delayed Entry Program Discharge (DEP Discharge): Marines · GI Rights Hotline: Military Discharges and Military Counseling

6) You signed a contract, go be an ass-kicking name taking grunt. You'll get your shot at some point.

7) #3 above still makes me laugh out loud

AKkeith

Killin It
Verified Military
I would agree with @Ooh-Rah and wait for your responses to his questions, but I do disagree with number 2 and 6. That contract technically is not binding and if you really want a recon contract go for it.

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
If it was at their convenience, they would change your ship date in a heartbeat, without even talking with you. I'd tell them you want the RECON contract and take it above their heads if they fight you on it. The recruiter gave you bad information, that resulted in you accepting a contract that you truly did not want, which was later corrected by an Active Duty FORCE RECON Marine Officer.

I'd say you have a legitimate grievance that any NCO worth their salt would acknowledge and help to correct it.

But idk how the USMC works.

Renholder

Unverified
1) Recruiter and a few other Marines who've dropped from the course and went open contract.

4) If I threatened to leave the DEP, that wouldn't look good on my part.

5) From what I've read and what you have linked, I'm pretty powerless. But other people seemed to have some luck getting their contracts changed.

Renholder

Unverified
Should I go straight to the commander or slowly work my way up the chain?

Ooh-Rah

Semper Fi
I learned later from Teufel that it was impossible to volunteer at SOI East since there are no Reconnaissance staff stationed there.
I kind of skipped over this part when I replied this morning, @Diamondback 2/2 picked up on it later - In no way can I advice you about Recon, but I can tell you this:

I f'ed up in high school and was not going to graduate. The Corps was PISSED and wanted me to go to bootcamp anyway, they said I could get my GED after I finished boot.

"NO" was the answer I gave my recruiter, and the crazy number of enlisted and officer personnel who came to see me at MEP's and questioned my patriotism, my manhood, and anything else you can think of. Bottom line, I shipped a year later, with my High School diploma in hand.

Best of luck to you...

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
Should I go straight to the commander or slowly work my way up the chain?
With my lack of understanding of the USMC Recruiting structure and common practices, I'm not the right person to answer that for you. Plenty of Marines on here that can, and keep in mind, I'm speaking my mind on the issue and not stating that "you should do this", but more so, if it was "me this is what I would explore/try".

If you have already talked with @Teufel, I'd would ask and follow his advice, as he is very experienced in the community you wish to join.

AKkeith

Killin It
Verified Military
5) From what I've read and what you have linked, I'm pretty powerless.
Oh quite on the contrary. You have ALL the power.

No one can Force you to do anything, at all, yet.
You have all the power to, contact higher, drop from the DEP, go to another recruiter, get any contract you choose. You have All the power right now. As soon as you go to MEPS that second time and leave for boot camp, then you are powerless and the next 4 years of your life are the consequence of whatever you do right now, good, or bad.

Red Flag 1

Verified Military
I kind of skipped over this part when I replied this morning, @Diamondback 2/2 picked up on it later - In no way can I advice you about Recon, but I can tell you this:

I f'ed up in high school and was not going to graduate. The Corps was PISSED and wanted me to go to bootcamp anyway, they said I could get my GED after I finished boot.

"NO" was the answer I gave my recruiter, and the crazy number of enlisted and officer personnel who came to see me at MEP's and questioned my patriotism, my manhood, and anything else you can think of. Bottom line, I shipped a year later, with my High School diploma in hand.

Best of luck to you...

Jeez, that's a lot of heat placed on a highschool student. I can sorta see their point, but to pull a youngster out of school before graduation seems a bit short sighted. It is good that you stood your ground, despite some pretty nasty tactics.

Ooh-Rah

Semper Fi
Jeez, that's a lot of heat placed on a highschool student. I can sorta see their point, but to pull a youngster out of school before graduation seems a bit short sighted. It is good that you stood your ground, despite some pretty nasty tactics.
When I told my recruiter I wanted to put off going for one year so I could repeat my senior year, he put me on a bus to MEPS to "discuss ".

Once there, They were SUCH dicks. It was the first time in my life I had to stand for principle. I remember a corporal coming in and really giving me shit, then a major. He put a phone in front of me, told me to call my mom and let her know I'd be shipping directly to San Diego that night! ( No idea what they would have done with me, probably put me into some type of "shit platoon" until I could start a new series.)

I did call her, but to tell her what they told me and that I did not want to go until I finished high school the right way. After that I don't remember much, this was in 88' so Gulf War had not kicked up yet - maybe quotas were tougher to reach then.

In the end I held strong and shipped one year later - no worse for the wear, and I can tell you what - there is zero-point-zero chance I would have gotten my GED while in the Corps - to this day I consider waiting it out one of my strongest moments.

Last edited:

Hillclimb

Raider
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
If they told you were going any other MOS, 01xx, 13xx, 06xx, and you didn't want that MOS, would you still ship?

If Recon is what you want, go for it. Fixing the problem now wont cost you much(though I'm not a recruiter, and familiar with just how "binding" that contract is prior to stepping on those yellow foot prints). Fixing it down the road is gonna cost you 2-4 years of your life. You could get to a unit, jump into a workup, the command may not want to let you go until a deployment, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going 03xx, but do you really want to wait until you're locked 4 years deep into that MOS, wishing you had made the swap 4 years ago? I got convinced last minute to change to a MOS I wasn't really set on, but as a 18 year old was told "Don't worry, you'll get to do some cool things, this will be good for your career, only high ASVAB scores get this job." For the last 9 years I've been waiting to run into that recruiter so I can kick him in the nuts.

I was always under the impression everything was changeable until you get down to MCRD, because people chickening out last minute was a calculated risk.

TLDR20

Banned
You are in DEP, not the Marines. You signed into DEP. if you want something make it happen. You can always re sign in to DEP. or you can suck it up and go do what you have signed up to do this far.

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
In the desert or Victoria, depending on the date
4) If I threatened to leave the DEP, that wouldn't look good on my part.
Depends on how you did it. "I'm quitting because the current CO of First Recon personally told me it was impossible to volunteer at SOI East since there are no Reconnaissance staff stationed there, so I want to ship on X date", shouldn't cause you too much grief.

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
Depends on how you did it. "I'm quitting because the current CO of First Recon personally told me it was impossible to volunteer at SOI East since there are no Reconnaissance staff stationed there, so I want to ship on X date", shouldn't cause you too much grief.
This made me laugh. Crazy how this forum works right? How else would a poolee get personal access to one of the commanders in the community he is looking to join.

I am not familiar with the DEP world works. I do know that recruiters have monthly quotas to meet and he isn't worried about August until August. All he cares about is the number of guys he ships in the required MOSes. He certainly doesn't care about you and your needs. I would work to change your contract.

Renholder

Unverified
Thanks for the great replies and insight everyone. It was exactly what I was looking for as I fumble around in uncertainty. I'll report back in a few days and see how it goes.

Red Flag 1

Verified Military
When I told my recruiter I wanted to put off going for one year so I could repeat my senior year, he put me on a bus to MEPS to "discuss ".

Once there, They were SUCH dicks. It was the first time in my life I had to stand for principle. I remember a corporal coming in and really giving me shit, then a major. He put a phone in front of me, told me to call my mom and let her know I'd be shipping directly to San Diego that night! ( No idea what they would have done with me, probably put me into some type of "shit platoon" until I could start a new series.)

I did call her, but to tell her what they told me and that I did not want to go until I finished high school the right way. After that I don't remember much, this was in 88' so Gulf War had not kicked up yet - maybe quotas were tougher to reach then.

In the end I held strong and shipped one year later - no worse for the wear, and I can tell you what - there is zero-point-zero chance I would have gotten my GED while in the Corps - to this day I consider waiting it out one of my strongest moments.
Again, good on ya for standing your ground. With a USMC 0-4 cramming a phone into the equation, it makes me wonder about the heat from above for the recruiters.

Thanks for the great replies and insight everyone. It was exactly what I was looking for as I fumble around in uncertainty. I'll report back in a few days and see how it goes.
I am glad you got the answers you need here @ ShadowSpear, and reduced the "fumbeling" you have been through :thumbsup:. It would be great if you can keep us posted. Threads like this provide information for others to read and reflect on in the future :thumbsup:8-).

Ooh-Rah

Semper Fi
The OP did not ask this but I am curious.

Right now he is at least guaranteed to go infantry, from there he has many opportunities. However, if he fights to go in with a Recon contract and gets it, and then for whatever reason does not make it through, he is at the mercy of the ever changing "needs of the Marine Corps".

100 years ago when I was in, that was a guaranteed trip to supply, admin, or the kitchen.

Just something for the OP to consider as he makes this decision about what to do.

Marines tend to bitch about how much they hate the Corps while they are in, it is 10 times worse if you are in a job you hate.

Last edited: