Corona Virus (Thanks China)

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
Guess what, Hydroxychloroquine works, and has worked. And the only reason media companies were trying to go against it was because the POTUS. But now he hasn't been talking about it...and boom.

Study finds hydroxychloroquine may have boosted survival, but other researchers have doubts
I mean, if we’re keeping score at home, there’s something like a half dozen studies which say that HCQ has no effect on COVID mortality, two retracted studies which claimed HCQ increased mortality, and one study (along with a bunch of anecdotes) saying it reduced mortality.

To me, that seems highly inconclusive. It seems like nobody really understands the mechanism of action here, and recommending this drug for treatment should not be considered so rashly.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
I mean, if we’re keeping score at home, there’s something like a half dozen studies which say that HCQ has no effect on COVID mortality, two retracted studies which claimed HCQ increased mortality, and one study (along with a bunch of anecdotes) saying it reduced mortality.

To me, that seems highly inconclusive. It seems like nobody really understands the mechanism of action here, and recommending this drug for treatment should not be considered so rashly.
But this is the problem I have with how everything has played out: multiple conflicting studies from multiple organizations or groups with strong credentials. Plus, how many of those studies were politically driven instead of with bad information?

We created global hysteria over something we don't understand.

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
I just attempt to get to good source material & in any good peer reviewed information there’s not a lot of bias.
A good example of bias is In the press where it can be quite obvious, so take it on board & understand it.

Devildoc

Verified Military
I just attempt to get to good source material & in any good peer reviewed information there’s not a lot of bias.
A good example of bias is In the press where it can be quite obvious, so take it on board & understand it.
There's a lot of bias in peer-reviewed journals, too (well, medical journals). JAMA is the worst.

Blizzard

There's a lot of bias in peer-reviewed journals, too (well, medical journals). JAMA is the worst.
To that point, here is an interesting podcast from Michael Osterholm, he's been referenced numerous times earlier in this thread - overall, I'm still not a fan but on this topic he makes sense:
Special Episode: Masks and Science

^ You can listen to the podcast or read the transcript but among numerous interesting comments/observations, was this one from Osterholm:

"What was even more telling, regarding the MASKS4ALL letter was the fact that over a hundred prominent experts called for this mask requirement. I contacted five of them who I know well, all are close friends. Four of them were “surprised to shocked” when I shared the information I just with shared with you regarding the body of data or lack thereof, supporting the effectiveness of cloth masks in preventing viral respiratory-transmitted agents. They had just assumed that the summary information was accurate. The fifth one was honest enough to say to me, "Well, I signed it because of pressure from peers.” I don't know how many of the other signers of the letter had a similar experience. Regardless, this is not the way you make science-based public policy on such a critical issue."

Last edited:

ThunderHorse

Verified Military

GOTWA

Half Faceless Man
Verified Military
China is a dumpster fire and it needs to be put out.

Suspected case of bubonic plague in China's Inner Mongolia

Bayannur authorities warned the public to report findings of dead or sick marmots -- a type of large ground squirrel that is eaten in some parts of China and the neighboring country Mongolia, and which have historically caused plague outbreaks in the region.