Intel in Guard SF Support

b_sav

Airborne Intel
Verified Military
Greetings,

Finishing my undergraduate degree in a few months which will allow me to pursue my Army (NG) career more. I saw that 20th group is near me in Maryland and wanted some perspective on life as intel support with them or any SF group, especially if there are any HUMINTers on here. My main questions pertain to expectation management: does airborne qualified support jump every few months? Are deployments readily available to those who seek them?

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Greetings,

Finishing my undergraduate degree in a few months which will allow me to pursue my Army (NG) career more. I saw that 20th group is near me in Maryland and wanted some perspective on life as intel support with them or any SF group, especially if there are any HUMINTers on here. My main questions pertain to expectation management: does airborne qualified support jump every few months? Are deployments readily available to those who seek them?
You'll get 4 (often more) jumps annually if you are in a jump slot.

Florida173

SOF Support
Because coordination with air assets is sometimes a pain, we generally will get away with multiple jumps during a drill weekend if it works out. Ends up being such a time sink for the air ops folks in the smaller SOF units because of all the coordination. I always thought it ends up being a big distraction. Then a lot of the 19th and 20th groups end up just doing mega MUTAs just to get everything in. But you do get remain on airborne orders and should be able to jump a nice variety of aircraft. I can't speak specifically for Maryland since most of my experience has been with Alabama and Florida.

I can't really say much about deployments since I pushed most of my through my contracting side.

Cookie_

SOF Support
My main questions pertain to expectation management: does airborne qualified support jump every few months? Are deployments readily available to those who seek them?
As others have said, you'll get to jump enough to stay current, more depending on how your air coordinators do their job.

For example; My unit has 9 training events (drills+AT) for FY21, and we've already got jumps scheduled for 7 of those.

If it's rotary wing aircraft we'll get 1-3 jumps that day depending on how many jumpers we have and weather. If it's fixed wing you'll get 1, weather permitting.

As for deployments, the answer to your question is "sorta". The teams deploying make the decision on what sort of support they need. If they need all the Intel guys then cool, you'll go.
If they only need a handful of dudes, it's gonna be the Intel dudes the team has worked with previously/heard of first, then new guys.
This is true (in my experience/talking to our team guys) regardless of MOS.

An SF Company has Intel slots now?
IIRC there are a handful of Intel dudes with our SF CO, but I'm not aware if they are actually slotted to the unit or if those guys are just on loan since the FSC/BSC/HHD is in state as well.