• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

North Korea's sixth nuclear test

Mar 9, 2013
Maryland, USA
This was mentioned in another thread but I am interested in a separate/focused discussion.

Wikipedia page* describing test (with minimal commentary): 2017 North Korean nuclear test - Wikipedia

Possible image of the device tested: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/nintchdbpict000349901288.jpg?strip=all&w=960

The lowest estimate of yield for this test that I've seen so far is ~50-60 kt, with *early* (obviously very early) consensus seeming to focus on the 100 kt mark. Assuming that and the image are correct, it seems probable that what was tested was a "true" two stage device. I personally feel like this is a bit of a game changer, due to its relatively small size and the fact that it means they have upgraded to the level. Given the increased yield for a given volume and weight this implies, this feels, to me at least, like a big change in the sort of power they can dish out in general or mount on a missile or drop by aircraft.

Related is the increased capability of North Korean missiles - even if they were not increasing in increased range capabilities, the possibility of increased accuracy seems like a reasonable cause for concern.

Regardless of whether that warhead is dropped by plane or missile, on American military abroad or on American soil, wouldn't this represent a huge increase in capability and therefore threat, both to American allies and American/international interests?

As said, I think it is (assuming data available on both warhead and missile tests so far are accurate), however it seems to be falling under the radar a bit it feels like. I only follow these issues as an amateur and know many here have much more relevant knowledge, so....what do you think? Is this and other recent (last ~2 months) developments game changers, or not really? If it is, why the lack of attention?

For the last question, if there is a genuine lack of attention, I posit that competition with domestic issues is crowding the story out or it simply hasn't had time to spread yet.

* Note: There are a lot of news articles about the test with varying amounts of commentary - I figure the wiki page provides the main info. If people disagree will add a news article instead.