PSYOP and a new beret. Grey matches my hair. I'm IN!!!

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
You don't receive a maroon beret after airborne, you get jump wings. A maroon beret just means you're in an airborne unit. You don't have to be airborne qualified to wear a maroon beret.
I'm well aware, as with anything, you earn your bones in the unit you are assigned not by passing a course.😉

SOSTCRNA

SOF Medical
SOF Support
MFO? I've never come across any of our blokes who didn't enjoy that deployment.
I thought it was Puce not orange. Maybe it has changed as I did the MFO in 85- and yes it was a lot of fun.

Shakatu

FSO
Verified Military
The word on the street is PO and CA are getting the beret if it actually is approved. Basically anyone in SOF that had to go to any A&S, who don't already have a neato hat (so really just PO and CA).

Personally think its cool. People like to feel special, especially if they actually accomplished something difficult that their peers didn't. As it stands, you look at the guy who just got done with OSUT and BAC and is at his first duty station, and a PO/CA guy who has multiple deployments and years of experience and training and they look the same, minus rank. What is truly disappointing is that in the field, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference either. I'd forego a beret if it meant PO was actually issued Gucci gear and high speed equipment and weapons. I know that not what it's all about and humans are more important than hardware blah blah blah but rule number one is looking cool /s

NikNifSik

SF180A
Verified SOF
The word on the street is PO and CA are getting the beret if it actually is approved. Basically anyone in SOF that had to go to any A&S, who don't already have a neato hat (so really just PO and CA).

Personally think its cool. People like to feel special, especially if they actually accomplished something difficult that their peers didn't. As it stands, you look at the guy who just got done with OSUT and BAC and is at his first duty station, and a PO/CA guy who has multiple deployments and years of experience and training and they look the same, minus rank. What is truly disappointing is that in the field, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference either. I'd forego a beret if it meant PO was actually issued Gucci gear and high speed equipment and weapons. I know that not what it's all about and humans are more important than hardware blah blah blah but rule number one is looking cool /s
Shakatu,
I see quite a few things disturbing in your statement.
A. If you are banking on a beret to be the differentiating factor between you and someone who just graduated OSUT, you probably need to go through your course again.
B. There are PO/CA guys who graduate their course without deployments as well, and they are walking around those infantry guys with multiple deployments and years of experience and training. That's the bummer of being on Bragg, the PO/CA guys are pretty far down on the totem pole. Don't get it twisted and think the umbrella term SOF makes you better than infantry.
C. What Gucci gear is it that you think you need to do your job better? As one of the guys who gets the gear, I can tell you, most of it is not needed. The PO/CA guys I've had attached to my detachments were always judged based on their competence and work ethic. Not their gear. Me giving a Psyoper an H&K 416 isn't going to help you target that audience and sway perceptions the way I need them to. It's just going to get you in trouble running around thinking you're a commando when you're not.
D. I agree you should be proud of your accomplishments, but this "beret for everyone" only lessens its importance. Each time we add another color to the mix it just shows how insignificant they have become. If a unique piece of headgear was something you want, you should have to choose a unit that has already been deemed worthy of having one. Sounds like a kid that didn't win the soccer game but still wants his medal. Yes, they volunteered for an "A&S", but just cause others haven't doesn't mean they couldn't. I would throw a guess out there and say most infantry NCOS could pass the PO or CA selections.

Lastly, just face out, take a knee, and drink some water for a minute. You stated above how you feel about the SOF truths, but maybe understanding a SOF imperative will help: Know your operational environment. Yes, you posted in the PSYOP forum, but it goes to the main page. There are some legit guys on here who did some legit things. A bratty Psyoper complaining about the beret he wants because he thinks he did more than everyone is not going to get you anywhere. If you truly enjoy your mission, be thankful yo have the opportunity to do it, and then execute it to the best of your ability.

Last edited:

Bypass

Evil Genius
Shakatu,
I see quite a few things disturbing in your statement.
A. If you are banking on a beret to be the differentiating factor between you and someone who just graduated OSUT, you probably need to go through your course again.
B. There are PO/CA guys who graduate their course without deployments as well, and they are walking around those infantry guys with multiple deployments and years of experience and training. That's the bummer of being on Bragg, the PO/CA guys are pretty far down on the totem pole. Don't get it twisted and think the umbrella term SOF makes you better than infantry.
C. What Gucci gear is it that you think you need to do your job better? As one of the guys who gets the gear, I can tell you, most of it is not needed. The PO/CA guys I've had attached to my detachments were always judged based on their competence and work ethic. Not their gear. Me giving a Psyoper an H&K 416 isn't going to help you target that audience and sway perceptions the way I need them to. It's just going to get you in trouble running around thinking you're a commando when you're not.
D. I agree you should be proud of your accomplishments, but this "beret for everyone" only lessens its importance. Each time we add another color to the mix it just shows how insignificant they have become. If a unique piece of headgear was something you want, you should have to choose a unit that has already been deemed worthy of having one. Sounds like a kid that didn't win the soccer game but still wants his medal. Yes, they volunteered for an "A&S", but just cause others haven't doesn't mean they couldn't. I would throw a guess out there and say most infantry NCOS could pass the PO or CA selections.

Lastly, just face out, take a knee, and drink some water for a minute. You stated above how you feel about the SOF truths, but maybe understanding a SOF imperative will help: Know your operational environment. Yes, you posted in the PSYOP forum, but it goes to the main page. There are some legit guys on here who did some legit things. A bratty Psyoper complaining about the beret he wants because he thinks he did more than everyone is not going to get you anywhere. If you truly enjoy your mission, be thankful yo have the opportunity to do it, and then execute it to the best of your ability.
Meh, Never much cared for the Hk 416. I had a Hk MR 7.62 but sold it. Besides we have all we need to complete our mission. As someone once told me....."Any idiot can pull a trigger." Honestly I don't care about the beret since I never wore a cover anyways.

1596831525239.png1596831660361.png

As far as the punisher logo. We were young back then. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes but we were good at what we did.

NikNifSik

SF180A
Verified SOF
W
Meh, Never much cared for the Hk 416. I had a Hk MR 7.62 but sold it. Besides we have all we need to complete our mission. As someone once told me....."Any idiot can pull a trigger." Honestly I don't care about the beret since I never wore a cover anyways.

View attachment 35162View attachment 35163

As far as the punisher logo. We were young back then. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes but we were good at what we did.
Nice pics. When I was in Psyop, our truck looked identical. Miss the DCUs.

Arf

SWCC
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
In the Navy all the special units have a special pin. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. If you went through a voluntary selection to do something difficult, why not be recognized for it? Wearing a medal for something you achieved is no different. Just because they have a different beret doesn’t mean they have more combat experience. There are plenty of Corpsman in the Navy that support SEAL and SWCC, and a lot of them have combat action ribbons where the SEAL and SWCC they are supporting do not.
I think the older generation being salty about a younger unit getting the beret is just growing pains. They aren’t getting a Green or a Tan Beret. THAT would be an issue. They are getting a unique one.

Bypass

Evil Genius
In the Navy all the special units have a special pin. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. If you went through a voluntary selection to do something difficult, why not be recognized for it? Wearing a medal for something you achieved is no different. Just because they have a different beret doesn’t mean they have more combat experience. There are plenty of Corpsman in the Navy that support SEAL and SWCC, and a lot of them have combat action ribbons where the SEAL and SWCC they are supporting do not.
I think the older generation being salty about a younger unit getting the beret is just growing pains. They aren’t getting a Green or a Tan Beret. THAT would be an issue. They are getting a unique one.
I almost enlisted in the Navy as CTI Cryptologic Technician Careers | Navy.com back in 2006 but I decided against it. I kinda regret that decision because I went through the entry process and got talked out of it by a woman who later left me. I kinda wish I had stuck with it. I think it would have been fun. I heard they got a neat pin as well. ;-)

JedisonsDad

Verified SOF
After having received a beret not too long ago, in a unit that used to not have one, I have learned that they aren’t special. They’re just two handed hats that are hot and require a lot of work to still not look halfway decent.

LimaPanther

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
Sounds like we are going back in time. Those on here that were in, in the 70s will remember that ever unit had their own colored beret. There were Navy Blue, Orange, Red, Green, etc. The Army did away with them and only had the Black for Rangers, Green for SF, and Maroon for airborne. Looks like the past is repeating itself.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator

View attachment 35162View attachment 35163

You were rolling with the FL ARNG? What unit were they in?

Florida173

SOF Support
Maybe something under 50th ASG before they changed the patch. Some of them were in Iraq back in the '09 timeframe.

Edit.. DCUs.. don't think we were wearing them past '05? So would be with the 124th or 20th group right?