Retired Green Beret Contractor killed in alleged fratricide

Tinman6

Bio Defense
Verified Military
Reaction score
I think we need to start another war somewhere to keep everybody busy.
At first I felt the same as you. But, I see how out front in the public eye and limelight. All of the units that way back when nobody had ever even heard of. Until the drawdown of conventional forces and, the massive recruitment for "operators" in the SOF community. So there was more than likely a relaxing of a few of the standards. Simple statistics will bear out. That the more eggs in a basket. The higher the percentage of bad eggs you will have, regardless of the inspection standard. Unless each and every one is closely examined. The physical and mental/psyche standard we had to meet in the unit I was in were tighter than a gnats ass. With constant monitoring for deficiencies. But, we were dealing in environments where fuckery of any sort was swiftly addressed. Because you ain't playing grabass and fuck yer buddy in places where the enemy is a bug or a neutron or sarin!

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
Reaction score
At first I felt the same as you. But, I see how out front in the public eye and limelight. All of the units that way back when nobody had ever even heard of. Until the drawdown of conventional forces and, the massive recruitment for "operators" in the SOF community. So there was more than likely a relaxing of a few of the standards. Simple statistics will bear out. That the more eggs in a basket. The higher the percentage of bad eggs you will have, regardless of the inspection standard. Unless each and every one is closely examined. The physical and mental/psyche standard we had to meet in the unit I was in were tighter than a gnats ass. With constant monitoring for deficiencies. But, we were dealing in environments where fuckery of any sort was swiftly addressed. Because you ain't playing grabass and fuck yer buddy in places where the enemy is a bug or a neutron or sarin!
That could be part of it. I still think a lot has to do with the down-sizing of combat operations, fewer deployment opportunities and less action during deployments.

Most of the NCOs in my company at Lejeune were jungle rats with Purple Hearts and CARs...very difficult adjusting to garrison life knowing there was little chance of combat action. It can be like withdrawal.

Although I could be entirely wrong in these recent cases. I just know fighters gotta fight.

Last edited:

Tinman6

Bio Defense
Verified Military
Reaction score
That could be part of it. I still think a lot has to do with the down-sizing of combat operations, fewer deployment opportunities and less action during deployments.

Most of the NCOs in my company at Lejeune were jungle rats with Purple Hearts and CARs...very difficult adjusting to garrison life knowing there was little chance of combat action. It can be like withdrawal.

Although I could be entirely wrong in these recent cases. I just know fighters gotta fight.
I concur with you on your conclusion. I bear many scars.