The "All Things Politics" Thread, AKA "What's Wrong With Both Sides"

Florida173

SOF Support
The party switch isn’t a myth depending on if it is explained in a historically accurate way. Originally the political parties existed on a spectrum. You has liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats (Vice Versa). Factions, within these parties began to switch to the side that they felt more aligned with their values. Thus, some Southern Democrats joined the Republican party as did many Southern supporters. That doesn’t mean that all Republicans became racist and Democrats became angels. It just means that factions realigned and the Democrats became more consciously liberal and the republicans became more consciously conservative. Besides, I am sure that you cant miss the irony or a bunch of Trump supporting Republicans protected statues of Confederate Democrats, right? Again, political realignment is a historical fact.
The so called switch occurred over a 50 year period. The most common argument of the switch was with the Dixiecrats, but only two Dixiecrats switched with Strom maintaining a seat. The political affiliations were hardly aligned on a spectrum then and took time to develop into the tribalism of a two party spectrum that we have today. You are also using words like liberal and conservative in an anachronistic way. Classical liberalism has always and still is a major foundation to Republicans. Contemporary definitions of Conservatism is at odds with liberalism because of the inherent nature of individual liberty not being absolute, but subject to an authority of an established government. I believe it leads to the fragmentation and why most common sense individuals identify with the Libertarian party; albeit unfortunately also pragmatists and still end up leaning right and Republican.

Infinitejest12

Unverified
The so called switch occurred over a 50 year period. The most common argument of the switch was with the Dixiecrats, but only two Dixiecrats switched with Strom maintaining a seat. The political affiliations were hardly aligned on a spectrum then and took time to develop into the tribalism of a two party spectrum that we have today. You are also using words like liberal and conservative in an anachronistic way. Classical liberalism has always and still is a major foundation to Republicans. Contemporary definitions of Conservatism is at odds with liberalism because of the inherent nature of individual liberty not being absolute, but subject to an authority of an established government. I believe it leads to the fragmentation and why most common sense individuals identify with the Libertarian party; albeit unfortunately also pragmatists and still end up leaning right and Republican.
Ok, I think that goes into what I said about factions within the parties realigning and Southerners following them. Again, I cant ignore the fact that a bunch of Trump supporters are attempting to protect Confederate statues. I mean these people are not Democrats yet they idealize the Confederacy which was made of Democrats. In addition to that, the very few people that are racist or Alt-right predominately vote for Right-wing candidates. I fail to see how political realignment and the Southern strategy are myths.

Florida173

SOF Support
Ok, I think that goes into what I said about factions within the parties realigning and Southerners following them. Again, I cant ignore the fact that a bunch of Trump supporters are attempting to protect Confederate statues. I mean these people are not Democrats yet they idealize the Confederacy which was made of Democrats. In addition to that, the very few people that are racist or Alt-right predominately vote for Right-wing candidates. I fail to see how political realignment and the Southern strategy are myths.
Those same Trump supporters are now having to protect statues of founding fathers and explorers. This has nothing to do with the Confederacy. The CFA didn't have the benefit of political parties in an effort to have a unified front, so to suggest that they were democrats wouldn't be fair.

Mixing up the work of Atwater and some party switch is disingenuous to what the Southern Strategy was; especially since the strategy didn't truly realize until well into the 80s and 90s.

If you look at the modern day group that calls themselves Democrats, you will see every conceivable variation of an ideology with no actual common theme except increasing authoritarianism. It does make sense on why there would be a gradual shift of a few racists away from that, but they are not relevant to any conversation. Every white supremacist and neo-nazi movement in the United States has been de-platformed and have moved underground to various darkweb forums. The days of KKK on Jerry Springer are long gone because we have all demonstrated how unpopular of an opinion it is. So who cares what they are? Gets a little more complicated when talking about the so called alt-right, because of the disenfranchisement and retconning after the events in Charlottesville. A lot of farther left leaning people will consider anyone against their cause as alt-right; therefor racist as an attempt to marginalize their message. These are the likes of Shapiro, Milo, etc.. all hated by the actual alt-right, but that's inconvenient to easy narratives that groups like Antifa ride on..

Kraut783

SOF Support
If CA is requiring you to wear a mask by law, is the state providing the citizens mask?

EDIT: With the CDC and WHO flip flopping on masks....I see a lot of law suits coming out of mandatory mask wear proclamations. So, once more....local Police are going to have to enforce these laws...and catching hell for it....

Last edited:

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
If CA is requiring you to wear a mask by law, is the state providing the citizens mask?

EDIT: With the CDC and WHO flip flopping on masks....I see a lot of law suits coming out of mandatory mask wear proclamations. So, once more....local Police are going to have to enforce these laws...and catching hell for it....
In public. What are we even doing here? Wild times.

ShamgarTheJudge

Unverified

In public. What are we even doing here? Wild times.

Our Sheriff and a neighboring Sheriff aren’t really down with these sorts of orders. I highly doubt enforcement will be their top priority as they’re being assaulted and disrespected for even doing their highest priority duties.

Comrade Newsom is utilizing the chaos of the evidence in order to socially experiment and consolidate power and gain as much virtue signal power as possible. Rioters have more privilege than law-abiding citizens here.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Some possible ideas for veterans to make things better:

"Veterans, if you think you are not being heard, and you need to give voice to your opinion in a way that might actually reach those in office enough to listen to you instead of all the special interest groups, here are some ways you can use to communicate to those in office with the chance that by showing you are involved, they might start making better choices."

1592694130692.png

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
um... wut?

The Tennessean newspaper in Nashville is investigating how it came to print a full-page advertisement Sunday by a fringe biblical prophecy group that claimed 'Islam' is set to detonate a nuclear bomb in the city.

The ad, which featured pictures of Donald Trump, Pope Francis, and burning US flags, was credited to the Ministry of Future of America - a group that claims its mission is to 'proclaim the final warning message' from the Bible.
The Tennessean launches investigation after printing 'horrific' ad