The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

Kraut783

SOF Support
WHAT !?!?!?!

SaintKP

Talk about a hit piece...

Anthony Kennedy, You Are a Total Disgrace to America

I think this ties into how it's been mentioned previously that the left is cannibalizing itself and lashing out with more furor than ever before, the article goes into how although Kennedy voted for Obergefell v. Hodges all of that "good will" doesn't matter at this point because he "had to have been aware how much damage he would be causing by stepping down and letting Trump nominate the next justice". Not only that but it accuses Kennedy of having a decisive hand in "this country becoming an open oligarchy" due to him leaving.

The man is 81, and that's right around when most Justices retire or are very close in doing so. What obligation does he have to maintain working till 2021 when he's been on the bench for a little over 30 years?

Devildoc

Verified Military
Talk about a hit piece...

Anthony Kennedy, You Are a Total Disgrace to America

I think this ties into how it's been mentioned previously that the left is cannibalizing itself and lashing out with more furor than ever before, the article goes into how although Kennedy voted for Obergefell v. Hodges all of that "good will" doesn't matter at this point because he "had to have been aware how much damage he would be causing by stepping down and letting Trump nominate the next justice". Not only that but it accuses Kennedy of having a decisive hand in "this country becoming an open oligarchy" due to him leaving.

The man is 81, and that's right around when most Justices retire or are very close in doing so. What obligation does he have to maintain working till 2021 when he's been on the bench for a little over 30 years?

Not only a hit piece, but with some glaring factual mistakes as well. As soon as I saw it was "The Daily Beast" I knew what I would read, and it didn't disappoint.

SaintKP

Not only a hit piece, but with some glaring factual mistakes as well. As soon as I saw it was "The Daily Beast" I knew what I would read, and it didn't disappoint.

I should have throw in a disclaimer that it was from The Daily Beast. Even then it's amazing how a Justice known extensively as a hardline individual rights supporter regardless of political factors can be so effortlessly put on a cross because of the purported timing of his retirement.

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
This would have been no different if Justice Ginsburg retired befors Obama left office or will retire as soon as a Progressive is back in it.

The bigger problem that nobody seems to want to discuss is why our justice system is being used to move the political football a all? The judicial branch of government is supposed to keep in check both legislative and executive branches of government.

BloodStripe

Marine
SOF Support
SSMP
Military Mentor
Totally agree. But has the court always been this way and thanks to the interwebs we are now more attuned to such things?

I believe that they have always been highly political.

SaintKP

@Diamondback 2/2 @NavyBuyer

I'd wager it's a bi-product of the fact that each Justice has to be approved through the Senate and to even be considered at all, be nominated by the President. Its bound to happen simply by the fact that major changes and interpretations of our Constitution can occur and be heavily influenced by each Justices interpretation of the Constitution based on their own interpretation and belief, if a bench is majority "liberal" or "conservative" can have lasting effects on the judicial and political landacape.

Even though each POTUS tries to swing the Court to his "side" and the Senate correspondingly fights or supports it. The SCOTUS atleast appears to be free from outside pressure and atleast in my opinion that reflects in their rulings.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
This would have been no different if Justice Ginsburg retired befors Obama left office or will retire as soon as a Progressive is back in it.

I'm not sure about that. I don' think there would have been this level of vitriol leveled at Ginsburg if she would have retired during the Obama administration. Maybe she should have...

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
If Justice Ginsberg doesn't nap she loses the Well Rested attribute, taking a -2 from Perception and corresponding drop in mana.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
I debated whether or not I was going to do this for a while, and decided to just go with it.

@amlove21, one of our site administrators, recently started a thread title "What's Wrong with the Left." The thread started only a couple of days ago but it's one of the hottest threads on the board right now. That's nothing new; anyone who has been here for a while knows he regularly starts interesting and useful threads. What most of you probably don't know, because he generally keeps it to himself, is that amlove is pretty much the leading "leftist" here on the site.

The only reason I share this with you, is because it's very rare in this hyper-hysterical political environment that we live in right now for someone with closely-held political beliefs of any persuasion to be willing to engage in personal reflection and to encourage dissenting voices patiently and without judgment, and without the "ZOMG YOU'RE LITERALLY A <insert favorite poltical epithet here1!!!>" that we see... pretty much everywhere else these days. It's one of the many things I respect about him.

His example got me thinking about my own political beliefs. It's useful to engage in critical self-analysis because it helps you to grow. If you look critically at the things you believe, and consider counter-points, you will either grow stronger in your beliefs because you know they're backed by reason, or you'll grow out of those beliefs. But either way, you have grown.

I am by no means a "leading" anything when it comes to political discussions, but I do lean right politically, even more so after getting violently shoved in that direction by the Left the last ten or so years. At any rate, as an article I read a few minutes ago noted, there is considerable room for improvement throughout the political spectrum. With that in mind, and following the example set for us by amlove, I thought we could also use a "What's Wrong with the Right" thread started by a member of the staff who is sympathetic to the Right, to complement the existing thread about the Left, started by someone from the Left. This way, the Right can grow as much as the Left here on the site. And at least in our small corner of the Internet, we can have rational discussions about sensitive subjects.

So here it is.

Ground rules: 1) respectful and thoughtful commentary only. If you can't do that, I'm going to delete your posts and load you up with a bunch of points, because I can and because I'm tired of your bullshit. 2) this is the "what's wrong with the Right" thread. Save your "yeah but the Left..." counteraccusations for that thread, not this one. 3) anyone can participate in this discussion, if you follow rules 1 and 2.

Game on...