United States & Gun Control discussion.

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
Bear with me here. In Oz, a guy in Sydney managed to get a pistol license despite warnings from police and gun clubs that he was never to get access, but was eventually issued a permit to acquire. He killed his two estranged teen children with legally acquired pistols. The Firearms Registry IMO fucked up. (No matter, another arguement). What has eventuated in the past two weeks is that the clubs are talking to each other. I'm relatively new to the competitive shooting scene, about five years, but in that time this has not occurred. In the past week I've received emails to beware of certain people who are looking to acquire training or to acquire. This is such a positive move and the beauty is there's no legislation behind it, the clubs have picked up the ball. In the US context, the only example I can think of is that if Chris Kyle and his partner had some kind of mental health pow wow with others their deaths may have been avoided. It's so positive and should be embraced.

Board and Seize

Marine Recon
Verified SOF
Other fun news in the world of gun control:

Defense Distributed has settled with the DOJ. Gun model files (for 3D printing, etc.) will no longer be restricted under ITAR. You probably remember to Liberator pistol - the "world's first 3d printed gun". It's files were online for (I think) less than a week before they got shut down using ITAR as the pistol was being 'exported' via the internet.

Here's an article from Wired that isn't quite hysterical, but definitely against Cody Wilson's vision of the inevitable death of gun control
Here's an article from Reason that is in strong support.

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
Interesting article on the Toronto shooting. I am putting this here because there's lots of comparisons to and context with the US.

In wake of shooting, gun ownership under debate in Toronto
They've been looking for an excuse to ban semi auto everything and handguns. Apparently the federal government had been considering banning handguns even before this shooting. Meanwhile, the gun was illegally acquired anyway. The Liberal's thought the long gun registry woke up a sleeping giant, they have no idea what this just did. I've heard from previously quiet individuals in the past couple days about becoming very outspoken against any laws penalizing legal gun owners for criminal's. They haven't said anything that will actually help reduce the gang violence or illegal gun trade that is behind it all.

Centermass

Ranger
Verified SOF
Hell has officially frozen over.

The American Civil Liberties Union moved to file a brief on Friday opposing the state’s motion to dismiss the National Rifle Association’s lawsuit against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s top financial regulator.

In the ACLU’s view, targeting a nonprofit advocacy group and seeking to deny it financial services because it promotes a lawful activity (the use of guns) violates the First Amendment. Because we believe the governor’s actions, as alleged, threaten the First Amendment rights of all advocacy organizations, the ACLU on Friday filed a friend-of-the-court brief supporting the NRA’s right to have its day in court.

Link

Last edited:

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator

The American Civil Liberties Union moved to file a brief on Friday opposing the state’s motion to dismiss the National Rifle Association’s lawsuit against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s top financial regulator.

In the ACLU’s view, targeting a nonprofit advocacy group and seeking to deny it financial services because it promotes a lawful activity (the use of guns) violates the First Amendment. Because we believe the governor’s actions, as alleged, threaten the First Amendment rights of all advocacy organizations, the ACLU on Friday filed a friend-of-the-court brief supporting the NRA’s right to have its day in court.

Link
The world no longer makes any sense.

Cookie_

SOF Support
As weird as it seems, the ACLU actually supports a good number of cases that would be considered "right-leaning" positions; the media just prefers to report on when the ACLU fights religion in public institutions or gay rights instead.

Blizzard

As weird as it seems, the ACLU actually supports a good number of cases that would be considered "right-leaning" positions; the media just prefers to report on when the ACLU fights religion in public institutions or gay rights instead.
Agreed. As a whole, they're generally consistent in their mission. Equal opportunity offenders, if you will.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
It seems as if the democrats are drawing a line in the sand and making gun control their pet issue:

The Democratic Party’s New Litmus Test: Gun Control
The former congress woman apparently does not understand the district she's running for at all. The Southeast corner of Arizona is full of pretty isolated towns where drug runners and smugglers push through often. A lot of BP operations are continuous in that area.

Ooh-Rah

Semper Fi
Color me shocked....

Once the story ends and the free press and money dries up, so too does the resolve.

Parkland PAC formed to take on the NRA scales back

The group spent roughly half of its money on consulting services, with the biggest chunk going to Empire Global Ventures, a New York based firm primarily focused on corporate clients but whose founders boast political campaign experience.

Centermass

Ranger
Verified SOF
Good grief........

On 2 November 2018, the First Circuit Court of Appeals held the Second Amendment effectively does not apply outside the home.

This case involves a constitutional challenge to the Massachusetts firearms licensing statute, as implemented in the communities of Boston and Brookline. All of the individual plaintiffs sought and received licenses from one of those two communities to carry firearms in public. The licenses, though, were restricted: they allowed the plaintiffs to carry firearms only in relation to certain specified activities but denied them the right to carry firearms more generally.

In the last analysis, the plaintiffs simply do not have the right” to carry arms for any sort of confrontation” or “for whatever purpose” they may choose. Id. at 595, 626 (emphasis omitted).

Link

Grunt

Verified Military
I must have skipped the "only in my house clause" from the 2nd Amendment. I always felt I was missing something....

People are stupid!

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
Good grief........

On 2 November 2018, the First Circuit Court of Appeals held the Second Amendment effectively does not apply outside the home.

This case involves a constitutional challenge to the Massachusetts firearms licensing statute, as implemented in the communities of Boston and Brookline. All of the individual plaintiffs sought and received licenses from one of those two communities to carry firearms in public. The licenses, though, were restricted: they allowed the plaintiffs to carry firearms only in relation to certain specified activities but denied them the right to carry firearms more generally.

In the last analysis, the plaintiffs simply do not have the right” to carry arms for any sort of confrontation” or “for whatever purpose” they may choose. Id. at 595, 626 (emphasis omitted).

Link
This isn't a bad thing yet, as long as it gets kicked up to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has been ruling in favor of CCW for the past decade, I don't see why they would change now. They overturn this ruling and that becomes law of the land, CCW permits for every body, in every state.