United States & Gun Control discussion.

Topkick

Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
I can't buy less than the zero number of Levi's that I've currently bought. I also don't own Dockers or their other product. They were never really my style but maybe I'm just a real good judge of products and character. 😁
I get ya, but like them or not, Levis have been a mainstay for blue collar middle America for a long time. This may hurt their bottom line, but apparently they are willing to take the hit. On the other hand, it could secure a new breed of customers.

Blizzard

I get ya, but like them or not, Levis have been a mainstay for blue collar middle America for a long time. This may hurt their bottom line, but apparently they are willing to take the hit. On the other hand, it could secure a new breed of customers.
Well, they won't earn my dollar; sounds like we're both OK with that.

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
Funny how a bunch of multi-national companies, who rely heavily on child and quasi-slave labor, lecture normal people on the morality of self defense and firearm ownership. It's like these CEO's and their families live behind the protection of high walls and affluence. Why should the freedoms of filthy peasants bother them?

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
I'm OK with both strong 2A protection and with some aspects of sweatshop labor.

Two Cheers for Sweatshops
Agree with a strong 2A, but I wouldn't trust a multinational that's using child labor to sell products to the US. At the end of the day, multi-nationals who take advantage of cheap labor just care about their bottom line. People being brought out of poverty due to foreign investment is a happy side effect.

I dunno. I'd like to have companies invest in the US and their workers, instead of draining the wealth from our pockets.

Last edited:

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
SSMP
Outsourcing low skill manual labor to developing countries helps keep prices for those good lower here in the US, allows our workforce to concentrate on higher value labor, and provides economic opportunities that otherwise never would have existed in those countries.

A corporation's job is to be concerned about the bottom line. The positive externality of being able to afford to eat, or send your kids to school, or to be able to buy a mosquito net so your family doesn't die of malaria (example from the article) seem a lot better than the alternatives.

I'm happy my shirt costs $19.99 instead of $40. The workers in Bangladesh (or wherever) are happy that they're getting paid something past the poverty level in their country. And Wal-Mart is happy because they can make a bazillion dollars putting the two of us together. Seems like a lot of win-win.

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
Outsourcing low skill manual labor to developing countries helps keep prices for those good lower here in the US, allows our workforce to concentrate on higher value labor, and provides economic opportunities that otherwise never would have existed in those countries.

A corporation's job is to be concerned about the bottom line. The positive externality of being able to afford to eat, or send your kids to school, or to be able to buy a mosquito net so your family doesn't die of malaria (example from the article) seem a lot better than the alternatives.

I'm happy my shirt costs $19.99 instead of $40. The workers in Bangladesh (or wherever) are happy that they're getting paid something past the poverty level in their country. And Wal-Mart is happy because they can make a bazillion dollars putting the two of us together. Seems like a lot of win-win.
The problem with cheap labor is that we are/have basically propped up totalitarian gov's that created the poverty that kept their populations in thrall. A perfect example of this is China. We can get all sorts of cheap chinesium junk delivered to our doorstep, but we've also essentially funded the military build up of a totalitarian police state. The people in China and the surrounding Asian countries are now pretty much boned, all cause multi-nationals wanted to squeeze a few more dollars out of the US consumer.

The products that multi-nationals produce could also easily be made at home (albeit w/heavy mechanization) or across the border for a few dollars more. That 19.99 shirt probably cost that multi-national under 2.00 to make and ship, maybe even cheaper. You're not really getting a deal just cause labor is dirt cheap, if anything you're getting ripped off more.

Going back to my original post though, not a fan of multi-nationals preaching morality when they're literally taking advantage of people with no better recourses. All the while these corp's cozy up to totalitarian/despotic governments who deny their citizens the right to keep and bear arms.

Box

Verified SOF
I had a long discussion with 'Little Cletus' - he's just a regular kid and he wants us all to know the real truth about child labor laws, ok?
They're silly and outdated !!!
Why, back in the 30s, children as young as five could work as they pleased; from textile factories to iron smelts.
Yippee!
Hurray!

Little Cletus thinks there should be more guns for Americans!