• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Whats your backup plan?

Upstream

Unverified
My goal is pararescue.

I have a bachelor's degree and I'm a couple classes/direct patient care hours (EMT) away from being able to apply to a master's program as a Physician Assistant, which was my goal before pararescue started to seem feasible. Although PA is a job I could see myself in further down the line, currently, if I'm being honest with myself, the thought of years of academia and playing nice seems daunting.
That being said, I understand the reality is that a huge percentage of guys don't make it through the pipeline.

Pararescue incorporates everything I've dreamed of since I was young, where being at the whims of the regular Air Force as an enlisted airman sort of seems like the opposite of a good dream for me personally (no disrespect intended to the Air Force).
If the military doesn't work out I'd pursue PA school and continue to compete in jiu jitsu and find my way into the medical side of a civilian search and rescue organization in an attempt to scratch the itch.
If (and I'm uncomfortable even typing this out) I'm allowed to go and I don't make it through, will I most likely have to put the pursuit of PA school on hold for years while I do some random job no one chose for their MOS?

I realize I'm not stating a definitive backup plan here, but this is me trying to further formulate the backup plan to ensure I'm not being an idiot in some way.
I'd like to think I could follow the "burn the boats" policy but realistically unforeseen stuff sometimes happens. Any feedback/criticism is welcome.

Red Flag 1

Ordo Fratrum Hospitalis Loannis Hierosoymitani
My goal is pararescue.

I have a bachelor's degree and I'm a couple classes/direct patient care hours (EMT) away from being able to apply to a master's program as a Physician Assistant, which was my goal before pararescue started to seem feasible. Although PA is a job I could see myself in further down the line, currently, if I'm being honest with myself, the thought of years of academia and playing nice seems daunting.
That being said, I understand the reality is that a huge percentage of guys don't make it through the pipeline.

Pararescue incorporates everything I've dreamed of since I was young, where being at the whims of the regular Air Force as an enlisted airman sort of seems like the opposite of a good dream for me personally (no disrespect intended to the Air Force).
If the military doesn't work out I'd pursue PA school and continue to compete in jiu jitsu and find my way into the medical side of a civilian search and rescue organization in an attempt to scratch the itch.
If (and I'm uncomfortable even typing this out) I'm allowed to go and I don't make it through, will I most likely have to put the pursuit of PA school on hold for years while I do some random job no one chose for their MOS?

I realize I'm not stating a definitive backup plan here, but this is me trying to further formulate the backup plan to ensure I'm not being an idiot in some way.
I'd like to think I could follow the "burn the boats" policy but realistically unforeseen stuff sometimes happens. Any feedback/criticism is welcome.

When you finish up the PA program and pass all your certification testing you are a PA. At that point, you are prepared to begin practice as such. In practice, you are a newbie in that field and have just begun to develop and expand your knowledge in the field of practice you have been trained for. You will be WORKING as a PA, it is a far step away from "playing nice" you and losing sleep most nights is part of the job. If you think being a PA is a walk in the park, you are badly mistaken. If you do not continue your education in the practice as a PA, you have wasted your time and the competitive slot.

For grins, let's say you go with PA then PJ route, and it actually happens. During PJ selection, training and duty as a PJ, that is the level of medical care you will be using. You will have zero practice time as a PA. When you decide to step away from the PJ world, do you plan to just step into a PA role somewhere? If you try, they will ask to see your CV, aka where you have practiced as a PA. They will also be looking for your mandatory continuing education credits and other PA Board requirements. The reality at that point is that you are a PJ looking for a job as a PA. I don't know how long the PJ pipeline for pre selection to graduation is. The time you are in the pipeline is time away from the PA practice world and it may impact your ability if find a practice as a PA.

If you are going to go the PJ route, don't waste the PA slot for someone who wants to be a PA. It seems to me that going the PJ route is your plan A. If that does not pan out for you then the PA program is your back up plan. I would just do a fast hard boil if a PA worked for me for a couple of months and then left to do something else.

My $.02

Upstream

Unverified
When you finish up the PA program and pass all your certification testing you are a PA. At that point, you are prepared to begin practice as such. In practice, you are a newbie in that field and have just begun to develop and expand your knowledge in the field of practice you have been trained for. You will be WORKING as a PA, it is a far step away from "playing nice" you and losing sleep most nights is part of the job. If you think being a PA is a walk in the park, you are badly mistaken. If you do not continue your education in the practice as a PA, you have wasted your time and the competitive slot.

For grins, let's say you go with PA then PJ route, and it actually happens. During PJ selection, training and duty as a PJ, that is the level of medical care you will be using. You will have zero practice time as a PA. When you decide to step away from the PJ world, do you plan to just step into a PA role somewhere? If you try, they will ask to see your CV, aka where you have practiced as a PA. They will also be looking for your mandatory continuing education credits and other PA Board requirements. The reality at that point is that you are a PJ looking for a job as a PA. I don't know how long the PJ pipeline for pre selection to graduation is. The time you are in the pipeline is time away from the PA practice world and it may impact your ability if find a practice as a PA.

If you are going to go the PJ route, don't waste the PA slot for someone who wants to be a PA. It seems to me that going the PJ route is your plan A. If that does not pan out for you then the PA program is your back up plan. I would just do a fast hard boil if a PA worked for me for a couple of months and then left to do something else.

My $.02
Thank you for your response, I think I might not have been totally clear and I apologize. If I can't make the PJ thing happen for whatever reason, my backup plan is to pursue a Physician Assistant program SO LONG as I'm not at the whims of the Air Force for years on end preventing me from doing that. I don't want to graduate from PA school and THEN join the Air Force. I have no illusions about the difficulties of PA school, I have a friend who is a new PA and my cousin is currently suffering through her second semester of PA school. I know it is a challenging and rewarding profession, which is why I strongly consider it. By "play nice" I just sort of meant I'm not yet excited to spend 2 years in library study groups. I would prefer more physically/spiritually challenging life experiences at the moment, like having my head stood on in the pool until I start to black out, and I think pararescue has more to offer in that realm. You are correct that PJ is my plan A.