Reserve PAST suspended?

We just administered a PAST last week. I don't know if it's been officially reinstated, as we worked through the JAG to make sure we were in the clear to administer it.

Why did you have to clear through JAG?
Non-Military candidates?

Yes. We do not want people able to join the unit without even passing a PT test. If they join, and then fail, it's a bureaucratic nightmare to get them out of the unit. So we worked through the JAG to be able to administer the PAST to civilians wanting to join.

The Base and or Wing legal offices have all sorts of lawyers. Contracting any private or civilian sector support services gets significant lawyer involvement. JAG is not just about criminal wrong doings. A base pool for example where the PAST is administered brings with it liability issues particularly for the underwater swim requirements which may be a prohibited pool use activity for the general pool user population.

Even use of pool for official unit training use before or after normal pool open hours requires legal scrutiny to ensure all safety measures are present and being complied with. Drowning incidents in particular get much attention.

For example the recent (a few days ago) double drowning incident at the at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek's Combat Swimmer Training Facility is going to have all kinds of collateral legal liability discovery and determinations. The first priority of the inquiry will be to determine if the swimmers were authorized to be there and were in compliance with all supervisory (life guard and etc) policies.

While this thread may be a little old, I can provide my recent experience with the Reserve PAST:
- Recruiters no longer conduct the PAST themselves. While they might be there, someone else (legally permitted) will proctor/monitor.
My recruiter told me this while I went through the process of joining an RQS.

- My PAST was conducted at a Reserve RQS unit with a crazy amount of people watching. There were 6 of us taking the PAST and I think there might have been 20 people watching.
Supplemental: Reserve units expect you to get to them on your own for their assessment. I had to buy airfare, car rental, hotel, food, etc. on my own dime. They did give me an MRE, though, so I guess that's something.

This was my experience with the PAST in Aug. 2016.

Back