Your 2022 Relieved Naval Commander Thread

Geary seems like a decent, honorable man. Decent, honorable men are sometimes expendable when the larger issue negatively impacts the corporation.

Wait, what?

"Can't rape here, guess I'll go be a SEAL."
When I was at Yale, which was well before the deceased, one of their football team captains (I think?) was accused of sexual assault, and I thought it was really shitty how the school handled it. The details seemed really skimpy and it was like they threw the book at him and basically ruined his life before there was any real investigation, much less a finding of judicial guilt.

In another case, a Yale student who was an Afghan immigrant was accused of rape, immediately booted off campus and arrested, and at trial (three years later) was acquitted after a day of deliberations. He had to fight to get to come back to school, and when he was eventually re-admitted he wasn't allowed to live on campus. A while later he got suspended again, in part for his "own health and safety." He was eventually expelled, and sued the school (there's... a lot more to this story).

Connecticut Supreme Court repeals absolute immunity for accuser in Yale sexual assault case - The Free Speech Project

The whole process seemed wrong. I don't think colleges should be in the who-raped-who business. Rape is a heinous crime, and we have "two separate but equally important" components of the system who can sort those kinds of things out. Especially back in the "believe all women" days, it seemed like Title IX was being used as a bludgeon with no consequences if someone got it wrong, or even just outright lied.

The whole process seemed wrong. I don't think colleges should be in the who-raped-who business. Rape is a heinous crime, and we have "two separate but equally important" components of the system who can sort those kinds of things out. Especially back in the "believe all women" days, it seemed like Title IX was being used as a bludgeon with no consequences if someone got it wrong, or even just outright lied.

I agree with you and have a response, but lack the emotional capital to further demoralize myself over this topic.

Back