24 Year Old Civilian

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmd3d

Unverified
I want to start with what is probably a platitude on this site by civilian introductions: thank you to all service members, past and present. I come from a family with a rich tradition of serving our country. My grandfather was a Captain in the Army Air Corps during WWII training 8th Air Force pilots out in California during the War. My uncle flew Lockheed Constellations in the Navy during Vietnam, was shot down, and evaded enemy capture following an emergency landing. I have wanted to join the military all my life. However, I pursued a Bachelors degree at the University of Virginia in History, with hopes of one day becoming an officer through OCS. I graduated from UVA and took a civilian job as I wanted to begin a civilian career that I could possibly return to after military service. I work in finance in Washington, D.C. and despite the lucrative career field and doing work that I find highly intellectually stimulating; my life long goal of military service is more fervid than ever. Despite my familial tradition of military aviation, and my avid interest in military aviation academically, I have ruled out a military flying career. After years of reflection and research I want to lead and work on a team of other men in what I have determined that best suits my personal abilities and interests, which is the face-to-face application of military action and ultimately, violence. Currently, I am applying to Army OCS, with a tentative selection board date in February. However, as I have read deeper into the details of an 18-X contract, I am more than intrigued at the opportunities of this contract to try out and potentially join the Army's most elite group of warriors, The Special Forces. I spoke with a family friend, who is now a General and served in a leadership role during Task Force Dagger. His stories and detailed description of his career in the Special Forces enamored me; the story of the UW led by the 5th Group and others in '01 and '02 during Task Force Dagger is incredible. The philosopher, warriors, that he described comprise the fabric of the SOF community, appear, in my humble opinion, to be the most rewarding, arduous, and noble group of men that anyone could hope to join. I am avidly in discussion with my recruiter about the details of a potential 18-X contract, while also continuing my physical and mental preparation. I completed an APFT with my recruiter back in July on which I scored around a 260 (69 push-ups, 68 sit-ups, and around a 15:00 2 mi). Since then my 2mi time has come down about 30-45 seconds, and my push-ups have improved. While I have read all that the internet has to offer on the details of the 18-X pipeline through the Q-Course, I am looking for some direct mentorship and personal advice on this site, particularly PT, and other specific areas I should focus on, in order to tailor my preparation for the most optimal shot at successful selection by tailoring my preparation to highlight, improve, and ultimately crush my weaknesses. Please DM me if you are currently an 18-X pursuing selection, or are currently Special Forces and wish to offer your advice and insight based upon your personal experiences. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Other notable information about me:

physical stats: 5'10''; 151 lbs (I did a 2 month long fasting of one meal a day without compromising PT or my rigorous work schedule in order to help build mental fortitude)

Eagle Scout (substantial land nav and some night nav experience - completed a 2 day ruck with 60lb pack across 23 miles with only a map and compass entirely off the trail with over 22,000 ft in elevation change-have completed this ruck on three occasions), 1410 SAT Score, 670 GMAT, 99 ASVAB

Welcome to the site. Congratulations on your choice to serve.

I am an officer but I didn't go the SF route so I'll leave it to those who did to talk to you about that.

Ref. the fasting thing, what are you trying to accomplish with that? It doesn't strike me as a particularly useful method of prepping for the kinds of things you seem interested in. My non-health-professional opinion is that you'd be better off eating small, more regular meals in order to help fuel your workouts and mental faculties.

If you want to experience fasting, I've heard Ranger School is good for that. But you need to get in the Army and through basic and everything else first. I'm not sure irregular eating habits are going to help much.

Ref. the fasting thing, what are you trying to accomplish with that? It doesn't strike me as a particularly useful method of prepping for the kinds of things you seem interested in. My non-health-professional opinion is that you'd be better off eating small, more regular meals in order to help fuel your workouts and mental faculties.

If you want to experience fasting, I've heard Ranger School is good for that. But you need to get in the Army and through basic and everything else first. I'm not sure irregular eating habits are going to help much.

+1

Welcome.

The fasting was for about 7 weeks and intended to mentally challenge myself and increase my daily tolerance to stress, while still maintaining a normal regimen of training discipline. I have returned to a normal diet. I'm sure the fasting was not net physically beneficial, but I lost a good bit of body fat, and haven't lost muscle strength/stamina, in fact I think it may have helped accelerate improvement on my 2mi run time.

I'd love to connect with some Army SOF guys if they have some time to discuss their experience in the selection and training pipeline.

Thank you

Run Forest run! Find s running coach, start lifting. Put your name on the dotted line. Welcome now on to the hard truth. You are not even middle of the pack. You are on the lower 1/3. Their, there they’re are not going to get you anywhere, it is part of the process but not all. Have you thought about the Air Force? Seriously there is no magic bullet, your run needs to drop min, not seconds. For the rest just don’t quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back