Air Force reopens Prior Service Program -- for a select few

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Just read this and thought it was a very interesting recruiting plan given current cutbacks. Any of you looking for a job? ;-):thumbsup:

Air Force reopens Prior Service Program -- for a select few

A U.S. Air Force pararescueman, 58th Rescue Squadron, lands during a jump Jan. 11, 2012, at Wendover Field, Utah. Pararescuemen are trained to provide emergency medical treatment in adverse terrain and conditions.
DANIEL HUGHES/U.S. AIR FORCE
By Wyatt Olson
Published: April 17, 2014

Has this ever happened to you? You were an airborne cryptologic linguist in the military, got out of the service, and then found the career field of airborne cryptologic linguistics to be a dead-end in civilian life? Yeah, probably not.

But, if you are ex-military and used to be part of that or a handful of other very specialized careers, then the Air Force might have a place for you.

The USAF has reopened its Prior Service Program and is looking for 50 recruits in hard-to-fill fields from cyberspace defense to pararescue. The program allows servicemembers who have separated from active duty military, the National Guard or the Reserves to join the Air Force.

Applications are being accepted only for the direct-duty and retraining categories. The first means applicants can enter active duty if they’ve already completed the appropriate training at a joint technical school. Among the career fields currently being accepted are network linguist and cultural adviser, intelligence analyst, airborne cryptologic linguist and explosive ordnance disposal.

Retraining is open to applicants who are qualified in an Air Force specialty and want to become battlefield airmen. For fiscal year 2015, those positions include combat control, tactical air control, special operations weather and pararescue. Retraining during fiscal year 2014 is limited to pararescue.

See the fields being accepted for direct duty here.

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/stripe...ior-service-program-for-a-select-few-1.278401

There are already plenty of guys who have been waiting for this to happen and have had paperwork submitted and on hold for awhile. If you don't already have a packet in, get it done ASAP.

I'm just curious as to why civilians (like myself), have more options as far as military job selections than guys and gals that are already in (or prior service) have? Is it the retraining (sorry if that is not the correct word), or something else?

It's cheaper to train a brand new E1 than it is a prior service enlistee (E4+) that requires the same training.

It's also easier to find an assignment for an E-1/2 straight out of tech school than it is an E-4+ due to skill level/rank disparity.

Too bad my EAS isn't until May of 2015
These types of articles always leave me wondering, "What if?" Because currently I'm torn between become a MARSOC CSO, PJ, or SOWT.
Enough of my sob story, this seems to be a great opportunity for those who can swing it. I only wonder why they don't have more openings
at least for PJ's seeing how their attrition rate is so high.

Too bad my EAS isn't until May of 2015
These types of articles always leave me wondering, "What if?" Because currently I'm torn between become a MARSOC CSO, PJ, or SOWT.
Enough of my sob story, this seems to be a great opportunity for those who can swing it. I only wonder why they don't have more openings
at least for PJ's seeing how their attrition rate is so high.

If you didn't get a bonus, start the paperwork for an IST.

DD - FORM 368, request for conditional release.

I highly doubt that it would go through because of the pipeline that I had to go through for my MOS.

Back