Allergies

LuckyThinking

Unverified
Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a while and would like to ask a couple of questions relating to my allergies.

A couple of months ago I got a chance to sit down with a marine recruiter to talk about DEP and recon. During the conversation my allergies to peanuts was brought up, and he told me and my parent to bring in a doctors note for a waiver. It took some time to get the doctors note, and to compound that I started to get worried about how that allergy would affect my chances at even getting a chance at a slot at BRPC, let alone BRC itself. Since then I have not made any contact with him besides once through social media.
At the time I had the meeting, I was a walking skeleton at 5'8 117lbs and could barely do more than 17 push ups. I've since pushed myself physically to prepare to for basic training.

I've been currently filling my time with getting into shape; and have since cut my mile run time from 8:30 to 7:03, reached 14 dead hang pull-ups, and have gained about 13 pounds in the past 3 months. I've started weightlifting and swimming as well, and go to the gym around 4 days a week in addition to taking weight training at school.

Although I feel I will be physically fit by the time I complete my senior year of high school and enlist, I don't exactly know what to do about my allergies in relation to what path I could take in the military in general. I've since reconsidered what branch to join and done more research into various other special operations MOS's. I have found a thread where a user was able to become a ranger despite his allergies and asthma so I know it is possible, but I would like to reach out before I do anything that might hurt my chances.

What should I do?
If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I'm very thankful for the opportunity to even ask for help. I know that not many have had the chance to reach out like this until the internet came around.

Back