Aspiring 18X: SFAS Question

JWGen3

Unverified
Hey guys. Quick background/stats on me before my question: 24 years old (soon to be 25), 6’0, 180ibs, 12.1% BF, 79 push-ups (2:00), 91 sit-ups (2:00), 19 pull-ups, 2-mile run: 13:50, 4-year university graduate, currently a slave of corporate America.

I have been training for the past 9 months to finally quit my job to enlist with an 18X contract (yes, I mean enlist. Maybe advance to warrant/CO after 10 years; this isn’t about the money for me). I’m giving up a potentually lucrative/stable life to pursue this dream and obtain the fulfillment & sense of a higher calling that I feel in my bones. That being said, I’m determined to do this in a very precise way: a lifelong career as an SF operator until my body completely deteriorates. This is the life I want and I will die before quitting, so the cadre are gonna have to literally kill me.

My question is, will I be allowed the OPPORTUNITY to die for this? Meaning, if I happen to be a 21 day non-select for whatever reason, will I be able to try again, and again if necessary? I’m very aware of the reality that SF looks for the RIGHT guy, not necessarily the BEST guy. If I happen to not be the “right guy” in my particular class, I want the opportunity to keep trying until I make it (I’ve been told that many guys in SF went through selection multiple times). However, I am not giving up my current life to become a damn cook or supply guy, and I’ve been reading that non-selects are reclassed to bullshit MOSs. Optimally, I make it my first go and this is a non-issue, but I’d like to be prepared for all possibilities. Can anyone with experience verify this for me? It’s been the one thing that has kept me awake at night about all this. Thanks (And yes, I’ve checked the forums and found no conclusive answers).

Soooooo. Hi everyone. Quick pause.

I’m 100% the wrong guy for the answer here. Considering my last week.

I’m going to say this AND THEN we are alllllllll going to not put our two cents in.

This question has most certainly been answered here. Look for the thread ‘what’s your back up plan’. I didn’t link it because a hard charger like you will find it. I’m sure of it.

If you don’t want to serve as a cook or a supply guy? We don’t want you. SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK @amlove21

Yeah I tagged myself.

If you want ONLY what you want and won’t accept ‘lesser’ then you’re not ready. Idgaf about body fat, run times, or books you’ve read. I’ve heard it before from 91% of the candidates tgatvtry out. 60% on the Army side. You’re no different.

I’m not locking the thread because MAYBE you can read internalize and reconsider. That’s my hope.

But you really stepped on your dick here, with both feet. I don’t even know how you did that.

OK... you're a little on the intense/ocd side, aren't you? Do a little research here, and on other sites. Multiple statements of willingness to die is extreme, and shows a reckless character probably not the 'right guy' you think you are.

Rethink how you're stating this, and what you really mean. If you're not selected first time out, you will have to excel in whatever job you get in order to try again - assuming, of course, that you did not get an NTR or DFC or moral drop. PT is big, Psych and moral/ethical profiles are much more common. Maturity is key. Don't be taken off guard if SF is tasked back to its original taskings of GW/UW/FID/SR/TR it looks to be in the works.

Calm down, focus, set barely attainable goals and excel.

eta - This was being written as my brother @amlove21 was posting his response.

Amazingly, we posted the same answer in different ways... think about that.

OK... you're a little on the intense/ocd side, aren't you? Do a little research here, and on other sites. Multiple statements of willingness to die is extreme, and shows a reckless character probably not the 'right guy' you think you are.

Rethink how you're stating this, and what you really mean. If you're not selected first time out, you will have to excel in whatever job you get in order to try again - assuming, of course, that you did not get an NTR or DFC or moral drop. PT is big, Psych and moral/ethical profiles are much more common. Maturity is key. Don't be taken off guard if SF is tasked back to its original taskings of GW/UW/FID/SR/TR it looks to be in the works.

Calm down, focus, set barely attainable goals and excel.
We hit reply at the same time. This comment stays cause it’s also good. 😎

Ah, the beast of online forums and it’s inability to portray tones. Had I said this in-person, it would be monotone and laid back, so I apologize for the misleading intense wording. I’m actually a pretty humble guy who has just over prepared, over trained, and over thought this whole decision.

If being a non-select cook still offers me the chance to try out again, then damn it the Army got that much better because I’ll be serving up filets.

So, I rephrase my question to this: if I were to get reclassed to a non-infantry MOS, will I still be given the opportunity to try again, assuming no NTR, DFC, etc?

@x SF med seems to have given me a reasonable enough answer, but feel free to further construct, scold, or whatever

Had I said this in person...

@x SF med seems to have given me a reasonable enough answer, but feel free to further construct, scold, or whatever
To your initial reaction- you don’t know what you don’t know. If you said this in person? We would have laughed you out of wherever you were, no matter how you worded it. Right now, people are on a waiting list to get into a cook or admin job where they could die and they feel pride. Think about that.

To the second part- nope. We *try* not to do that here. It’s why I engaged. Our culture allows for minor missteps here and there. This was one of yours.

BL, if you fail out you could be offered a second chance depending on the nature of the elimination. Depends on a lot of factors.

But you might just have to settle for being an admin guy with a combat jump 😎

To your initial reaction- you don’t know what you don’t know. If you said this in person? We would have laughed you out of wherever you were, no matter how you worded it. Right now, people are on a waiting list to get into a cook or admin job where they could die and they feel pride. Think about that.

To the second part- nope. We *try* not to do that here. It’s why I engaged. Our culture allows for minor missteps here and there. This was one of yours.

BL, if you fail out you could be offered a second chance depending on the nature of the elimination. Depends on a lot of factors.

But you might just have to settle for being an admin guy with a combat jump 😎
Great advice, all noted. Preciate the jabs in the balls as well.. solid motivator and reminds me of home (two generations of combat veterans before me aka the “culture”).

Wouldn’t it make more sense to put an infantry trained/airborne qualified non-select in a unit that matches his training, like 82nd? Or does the Army ngaf?

Great advice, all noted. Preciate the jabs in the balls as well.. solid motivator and reminds me of home (two generations of combat veterans before me aka the “culture”).

Wouldn’t it make more sense to put an infantry trained/airborne qualified non-select in a unit that matches his training, like 82nd? Or does the Army ngaf?
Needs of the service. Can’t speak specifically to the Army (as there is a bit of a difference between Army/AF), but we have Airborne, Dive and Freefall qualifies non-pipeline completing computer troops out there.

Again, your assumption is that you make anything (airborne) before you fail.

Lesson 1- if it makes ‘sense’, it’s probably not what you’re gonna do.

For the longest time 18X non-selects were being sent to airborne infantry units. This may have changed in the last few years but it's hard to find definitive information on it. Mostly internet rumor mill with conflicting information from people who were sent to airborne infantry units and then people who were sent needs of the Army.

An option that I think is great for people who want to reduce their risk is to sign a simple 11X or 11X Opt 4(airborne) contract. I believe the 18X contract is a 5 year commitment. You can get 2-3 year contracts for 11X(a recruiter would be able to give you more accurate specifics). You could do that then put in for selection once you arrive at your unit after OSUT. And if you failed and decided you don't want to pursue it anymore your then only serving 2-3 years vs. 5.

Bottom line is if you're not willing to serve out the length of your contract in a unit and job that you don't want then don't sign that contract. Even if you sign an 11X contract you could be re-classed needs of the Army. I went to basic with two guys who were re-classed to cooks during Infantry OSUT. One of them came in horribly out of shape and developed really bad leg fractures. The other failed his hearing(he cheated his hearing test at MEPS).

Unless something has changed in the last year, 18X washouts are getting reclassed to soft skills MOS's. There are a few who manage to keep infantry, but that is the exception.

Unless something has changed in the last year, 18X washouts are getting reclassed to soft skills MOS's. There are a few who manage to keep infantry, but that is the exception.
Here’s a question for you.. are the cadre biased against 18X candidates? For example, if you have a guy trying out from 75th with combat deployments under his belt versus an 18X who performs equally well, it would make sense to take the Ranger with experience, right?

Here’s a question for you.. are the cadre biased against 18X candidates? For example, if you have a guy trying out from 75th with combat deployments under his belt versus an 18X who performs equally well, it would make sense to take the Ranger with experience, right?
You don’t know what you don’t know- but this is a question about biases of instructors at a SOF assessment and selection course, right? About favoring a group or type of students over another? I don’t think we have any of those instructors on the board.

I’d ask ‘why would that matter’?

If your answer sounds anything like, “I want to set myself up the best to get selected so I was asking if I should do another job and get some experience first”, I can tell you you’re asking the wrong question.

I see a pattern of mental mind games you're playing over and over in the back of your mind.

Nervous? We all were.

Scared? Yup. Anyone who says otherwise never walked the walk.

Fear of the unknown is a very powerful version of "If and buts were candies and nuts...." Stop questioning and start doing.

Bottom line is this. You and everyone else will be evaluated everyday from the moment you start your journey, from basic all the way until you leave the service. Whether at SFAS, SFQC, RASP or anywhere else for that matter, everyone starts off on a level playing field and equal footing. That's when the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

10% of what happens to you each and everyday, is what's thrown at you. The other 90% is how you handle and react to it. It's not for everyone and not everyone is cut out for it.

He's bigger than I am. He's stronger than I am. He's faster than I am. He's smarter than I am. So the fuck what???

It's called Mental Toughness my man. That can out trump (No pun intended) any obstacle put in front of you once you learn to stop being a self doubter, who's constantly worrying about uncertainties about what if this and what if that. You have no control whatsoever with regard to any of that. What you do have control over is your mindset, preparation, attitude and dedication to the task at hand.

Will you fail or fall short at some time? Yup. We all have. Quitting on the other hand will be the kiss of death and send you packing quicker than a greased pig down a slide in accordance with the needs of Big Army.

In the event you do make it, then I'm here to tell you that will be the easy part. Living up to the standards expected of you each and every day, from that point forward, is what separates the men from the boys.

Take it for what it's worth.

Back