British doctor who found a way to talk to patients trapped between life and death

That would've been nice to know before I pulled the plug on my dad. Doc-"he is brain dead, see no activity" Me-"any possibility of him coming back", Doc- "no, I'm sorry" Me-"okay well let's stop life support".

I've often regretted it.

That would've been nice to know before I pulled the plug on my dad. Doc-"he is brain dead, see no activity" Me-"any possibility of him coming back", Doc- "no, I'm sorry" Me-"okay well let's stop life support".

I've often regretted it.

Sorry for your loss. But if you could have communicated, do you think he would have wanted to live in a vegetative state? I think this is going to lead to some moral conundrums. We may be able to communicate with them but is the science there to save them.

But if you could have communicated, do you think he would have wanted to live in a vegetative state?

An epically important question.

This year I had to convince my step-mom to "turn my dad off" after a major stroke. I know two things for a fact, that he would not want to live as a veg, and that if I had been able to communicate with him, he was too afraid to die to give the okay.

An interesting future can-of-legal worms this potentially brings up.

Sorry for your loss. But if you could have communicated, do you think he would have wanted to live in a vegetative state? I think this is going to lead to some moral conundrums. We may be able to communicate with them but is the science there to save them.

I think with anything such as that, with close friends and family, there is "what if" question that tends to remain. I've gotten over the loss, but from time to time I ponder. No he wouldn't have wanted to live like he was, and with the information we had, it was the best decision at the time. Still sucks.

I think with anything such as that, with close friends and family, there is "what if" question that tends to remain. I've gotten over the loss, but from time to time I ponder. No he wouldn't have wanted to live like he was, and with the information we had, it was the best decision at the time. Still sucks.

Definitely still sucks but thank you for sharing.

Back