Camp X

Before Ritchie closed. The SMART-AIT teams at Detrick used the ranges there. Training area B was our backyard. We did some of our rappelling exercises at Sugarloaf Mountain. Opposite direction going towards DC. Some scuttlebutt going around back then. That when Holabird (Ritchie) was active as an OSS facility. They would use Sugarloaf as well. I just know it sucked. Rigging a Isolation Transport Stretcher for descent in a Racal.

First Special Service Force (the precursor to SF), a joint Canadian/US unit from WWII was created and trained at Ft Harrison in MT. SF still trains there. We can see/hear them. 😉.

LL
I did ski training there back in the early 80's...I remember we had one helluva blizzard above a place call Mullins Pass...I bribed a few railroad workers to help me pull my vehicle from a ditch...for a few cartons of MREs. We had the privilege of throwing a few back at Harrison with a few of the Originals...those soldiers still had it. It was an honor.

The original Camp X is a couple hours from here. There's walking tours only a couple times a year, I might try to take one this year.

Camp-X ● Official Site ● Free Walking Tours 2014
I go up there quite regularly. It's very hallowed ground. I am a member of the OSS Society also and got a tour of the museum when I was in Virginia a couple years ago. Part of me wants to get the place more recognition and even some actual designation to help keep idiots who make little beach parties and leave their crap everywhere at Forbidden Beach, then, part of me doesn't want to draw extra attention to the place. If anyone is interested in joining the OSS Society, PM me and I'll send you a sponsored application.

I did ski training there back in the early 80's...I remember we had one helluva blizzard above a place call Mullins Pass...I bribed a few railroad workers to help me pull my vehicle from a ditch...for a few cartons of MREs. We had the privilege of throwing a few back at Harrison with a few of the Originals...those soldiers still had it. It was an honor.
I was at their mess up at CFB "Pet" throwing back some pops with the troops, and there was an old timer there. He and some of the guys shared some pretty deep stories. It was a huge honor to be there and talk with them. Last pic, couldn't resist posting. Only the military could articulate an "alert" for a skunk like that. Never did see the lil stinker tho.

Attachments

• 20200625_080935.jpg
    20200625_080935.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200625_081023.jpg
    20200625_081023.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200625_081127.jpg
    20200625_081127.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 17
I was at their mess up at CFB "Pet" throwing back some pops with the troops, and there was an old timer there. He and some of the guys shared some pretty deep stories. It was a huge honor to be there and talk with them. Last pic, couldn't resist posting. Only the military could articulate an "alert" for a skunk like that. Never did see the lil stinker tho.

After a fine dining experience with a few of the surviving heroes, we acquired this memento which they graciously autographed.

Attachments

• IMG02087-20120409-1522.jpg
    IMG02087-20120409-1522.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 17
Back