Canada refuses to upgrade Valour award to Victoria Cross

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
It doesn't surprise me. It seems like Trudeau's government wants to make everything to do with Afghanistan disappear from history.

“In light of your correspondence, the Canadian Forces Decorations Advisory Committee examined the matter again and reaffirmed the importance of the existing practices,” wrote Eyre, with whom the final decision rested. “Consequently, with the unanimous support of the committee and the support of Rideau Hall, I do not recommend reopening this or any other file related to the Afghanistan campaign.”

No VC for Jess Larochelle, says military - Legion Magazine

The DOD has regulations and time limits on award upgrades too…. But we also have a system to get those repealed and I feel like we have done a great job of upgrading awards for-

1. Individuals that were over looked in the past due to race or religion (See Col. Davis, with Billy Goddam Waugh’s eye witness statement).

2. Individuals serving in sensitive career fields who would have their operational time cut short due to the high profile of the MOH (See 1/75’s favorite son and The Hero of Benghazi).

Maybe our cousins to the north can replicate a similar system? Once Castro Jr. is out of office of course.

Not familiar with Canadian politics, when is he up for re-election? Are there term limits?

Technically, no limits. The next official election is 2025 or when he calls one. His numbers are tanking, so I doubt he calls one anytime soon. He has a minority government but has the support of the other major left party, creating an unofficial coalition and that gives him majority.

Back