Civilian Pilots - SOF/SMU Support?

irish greg

Verified Military
It's been awhile since I last posted here but just an update, I will be heading to the Ft Bragg area in September for my next assignment and my gf is going to pursue civilian flight school. She is a reservists and has an active TS-SCI. I was wondering if there are any opportunities for her to fly as a civilian for the military in that area (as an alternative to being a CFI). I appreciate all feedback.

- Old Greg

She sure can! Tell her to keep an eye on USAjobs for pilot vacancies under USASOC in the Ft. Liberty, NC area

Like this one
Aircraft Pilot

Those requirements!

Tell me a job was designed for someone without telling me.
It's been awhile since I last posted here but just an update, I will be heading to the Ft Bragg area in September for my next assignment and my gf is going to pursue civilian flight school. She is a reservists and has an active TS-SCI. I was wondering if there are any opportunities for her to fly as a civilian for the military in that area (as an alternative to being a CFI). I appreciate all feedback.

- Old Greg

If she is in flight school it is unlikely she will find a job until she has built many, many hours. The best way to do that is via either CFI, or as a regional commercial mail/freight hauler. These jobs suck, but build hours.

Aren't there one or two contracted companies working for a USASOC or whatever contract?

Those requirements!

Tell me a job was designed for someone without telling me.

If she is in flight school it is unlikely she will find a job until she has built many, many hours. The best way to do that is via either CFI, or as a regional commercial mail/freight hauler. These jobs suck, but build hours.

No kidding on the reqs.

Anecdotally, I've known some guys who went from "zero to hero" and their journeys were not easy. At some point they had worked the jobs above, plus flying skydivers and aero med transport. For the 4 or 5 I knew to make the jump (eventually) to the heavies, their biggest stumbling block was getting multi-engine time.

There are plenty of pathways to the airlines. But this niche job is very tough to get. It is designed for some retiring WO who wants to stay at Bragg and do Casa flights.

This isn’t a sneaky job, this is doing airdrops to Robin Sage, dropping jumpers out a casa, or similar weird airframe, JM training, just random stuff that USASOC does.

Tell her to get her Commercial, Multi-engine, Instrument, CFI.
Aviation tends to be set in requirements.
Most folks build hours via the CFI route. My roommate found a job with a survey company and built hours that way.

As @TLDR20 stated, this type of work would be pretty niche. Even with the right quals, you'll need some good connections/relationships.

The reality is the OP's girlfriend is going to need to build hours and get ratings. This takes time and A LOT of money, especially on the civilian side.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Ya, it will be quite a while until she finishes flight school and get the hours. She has the mulla. I was also researching to see if she can reclass as a fix wing pilot for the reserves.

Back