Diversity in Spec Ops?

As miniority (black dude) was was SOF for a lot of years I think the lack of diversity is due to self selecting. I can't tell you how many times friends of mine who were minorities told me I was out of my mind when I told them I was going to SFAS. The overwhelming stereotype is that SOF isn't for minorities. Until that myth is debunked you'll continue to see a lack of diversity.

I was just reading a journal article written by Army Col. Michael Copenhaver related to diversity in Special Operations Forces and came across something interesting. The writer of the article stated that more diversity in units would increase “operational capability.“ Is this just political correctness/affirmative action or does Copenhaver have a point?

Hi. I don't know if this answers your question but I recently saw an interview with Special Forces veteran Mike Glover, and thought the part where he discusses cultural diversity in the military, was very interesting.

Starts at 12:41, but I recommend watching the full video.

I was just reading a journal article written by Army Col. Michael Copenhaver related to diversity in Special Operations Forces and came across something interesting. The writer of the article stated that more diversity in units would increase “operational capability.“ Is this just political correctness/affirmative action or does Copenhaver have a point?
Post the link if you have it please.

60 years ago, when first billeted with 2d Recon, I remember we had 1 black and 1 Apache in the company. This past year, while attending the 2d Recon Bn Association get together at LeJeune, I noticed very few minorities in the companies. Most were in HQ's Company as support. Could it be that the lack of diversity is because either no one is trying to get in or else the fail rate is high. I know, I am old.

A more diverse SOF makeup would absolutely expand operational capability, IF all standards were met. I do think it is politically correct, but at the same time, that does not make it any less true. As far as the affirmative action part, those types of efforts can be detrimental. Holding one person back for the sake of another moving forward is prejudice no matter how you cut it. Just because you have "too many" Caucasians and want more African Americans does not make the changing of standards by a group less racist, just cause they are towards whites. It's a tricky topic that all parts of life are currently struggling with. We see it in colleges with scoring and acceptance. The school is saying they gain more by a greater diversity pool of backgrounds than they do from just having the best students. Is there merit to this? I don't know. At the individual level, it seems unfair. On a larger scale, I can see how the claim works. I can say, some of the most impressive SF guys I have served with were not your cookie-cutter style (6ft, 200lb athletic white dude), though 80% have been.

I think a bigger part is recruiting. The amount of minorities that try out is significantly lower than that of white guys. I've heard lots of reasons for this, but none of them do us any good. Recruiters need to do a better job of reaching their target demographics. It's tough to get more African Americans to Group when only five guys are going to SFAS and statistically four will fail (from all races).

Lastly, diversity is not just race. Its sex, age, background, ethnicity, religion, etc. We get too focused sometimes on just the race part. It needs to be much more than that. Not all need to be for the same job. I for one think there is a spot for women in SOF, it just might not be on a traditional ODA (or maybe it is). I think having a large pool of a diverse group of people gives commanders options for more situations hopefully leading to greater success for the US military in its endeavors.

A more diverse SOF makeup would absolutely expand operational capability, IF all standards were met. I do think it is politically correct, but at the same time, that does not make it any less true. As far as the affirmative action part, those types of efforts can be detrimental. Holding one person back for the sake of another moving forward is prejudice no matter how you cut it. Just because you have "too many" Caucasians and want more African Americans does not make the changing of standards by a group less racist, just cause they are towards whites. It's a tricky topic that all parts of life are currently struggling with. We see it in colleges with scoring and acceptance. The school is saying they gain more by a greater diversity pool of backgrounds than they do from just having the best students. Is there merit to this? I don't know. At the individual level, it seems unfair. On a larger scale, I can see how the claim works. I can say, some of the most impressive SF guys I have served with were not your cookie-cutter style (6ft, 200lb athletic white dude), though 80% have been.

I think a bigger part is recruiting. The amount of minorities that try out is significantly lower than that of white guys. I've heard lots of reasons for this, but none of them do us any good. Recruiters need to do a better job of reaching their target demographics. It's tough to get more African Americans to Group when only five guys are going to SFAS and statistically four will fail (from all races).

Lastly, diversity is not just race. Its sex, age, background, ethnicity, religion, etc. We get too focused sometimes on just the race part. It needs to be much more than that. Not all need to be for the same job. I for one think there is a spot for women in SOF, it just might not be on a traditional ODA (or maybe it is). I think having a large pool of a diverse group of people gives commanders options for more situations hopefully leading to greater success for the US military in its endeavors.
I agree. However, wouldn’t women on ODA teams be a bit of a problem when dealing with Middle Easterners and some Africans? I have been thinking about that a lot recently after watching this video on YouTube. Best, Garry

I agree. However, wouldn’t women on ODA teams be a bit of a problem when dealing with Middle Easterners and some Africans? I have been thinking about that a lot recently after watching this video on YouTube. Best, Garry
They wear hijabs, they hide out from the partner forces (like we do now)... and then shame them on target. When an ANA dude won’t hard clear a compound and is afraid to go in- what a bitch he’s gonna feel like when SSG Wendy goes through the breach with a shorty M4 and starts merking people. Those dudes will either kill themselves or start liberalizing real fucking quick.

(caveat- I haven’t seen that happen yet but I hope there are stories coming out in the next few years along those lines).

Back