Do bases still have ‘rank’ specific clubs?

Apparently a long time ago Us GB’s had a cool club. It was not cool when I was at Bragg.

One of the cadre took me to a little restaurant, civilian joint and not a "club", run by a retired GB. It was as good as any museum I've been to with artifacts and pictures. For the life of me I cannot remember the name. We were also supposed to go to the "Special Forces parachute club" one day for lunch, he said that was pretty cool too, but we weren't able to make it.

One of the cadre took me to a little restaurant, civilian joint and not a "club", run by a retired GB. It was as good as any museum I've been to with artifacts and pictures. For the life of me I cannot remember the name. We were also supposed to go to the "Special Forces parachute club" one day for lunch, he said that was pretty cool too, but we weren't able to make it.

Probably Charlie Mikes.

I spent a few minutes in the Green Beret Parachute Club (or whatever it was called) on Bragg in early '98. I wish I had an undisturbed hour. The history packed into such a small building...

The military has changed. I was still active when the NCO clubs lost their luster, but in the late 80's and 90s, NCO clubs were still a thing. I had some good times in the NCO clubs. What made the clubs work was that 1SGs and Sergeants major supported them. Hell, some had their own barstools. For example, we had NCO call every Thursday after Sergeants Time training. Sr NCOs would enforce challenging training and then we'd all head to the NCO club (mandatory) to take a break from Joe, tell war stories and let off steam. I've said it before, I'm glad the Army made attempts to change its attitude on alcohol because we drank an unhealthy amount, but the debauchery provided me with some great memories and NCO brotherhood. 😁

Club's new name honors Army heritage

Back