Dry & Live Fire with a Pistol

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
So there are tons of advice that gets tossed around on how much someone should dry fire and or live fire. Several solid personal training plans and many things to learn from some of the older and younger shooters on here.

I figured it would be nice to share your “basic” level dry and live practice regime that you use to maintain basic skills. I will start this off, but I look forward to reading what everyone is doing, even if you currently do not do anything. The format is to outline your dry and live fire drills, and the reasons why you practice them.

Slow Thirty: is my dry fire practice, I conduct this just about every day unless I am unable to get to it for some uncommon reason. I conduct these drills very slow and deliberate in an effort to reinforce each step and ensure that I am doing them correctly each time. I believe that all dry fire practice should be conducted slow, and not for speed. I think speeding through the dry practice negates the reason “to ingrain into muscle memory”.

SLOW THIRTY (DRY-FIRE)
10 Reps of slow draw and fire.
10 Reps of slow tap-rack-bang’s.
10 Reps of slow slide lock reloads.

Fast Thirty: is my basic live fire practice that I conduct once a week. For these I use a shot-timer and focus on the speed and accuracy. Trying to beat my time with each drill, while maintaining acceptable accuracy. I use a 25 yard pistol bull’s-eye set up at 15 yards and start from the “hands relaxed at the side” position. I use three magazines (Mag#1) loaded with 1 live, 1 dummy, 1 live. Magazines on belt carrier (MAG#2-3) loaded with 1 live, 1 dummy and 2 live (2 live on top). I normally run 3 magazines and then reset and do it again.

FAST THIRTY (LIVE-FIRE)
10 Reps of fast draw and fire.
10 Reps of fast tap-rack-bangs (dummy round).
10 Reps of fast slide lock reloads, fire, scan re-holster.

All rounds must be in the black of the bull, but I try to keep everything in the 9-10 rings.

The reason I focus on these three areas instead of all the others that are many, is that I find these three to be the ones that I will need to do very fast while under high amounts of stress. The draw and fire is to ensure first round hits at fast speeds, the tap-rack-bang is to clear a stoppage and get the gun running and the slide lock reload is a for a bad day where the first 15 rounds did not do the job.

Back