FBI HRT questions

nov15

Unverified
Is there anybody on here who is former FBI HRT that I can ask some questions to? Stuff about the selection process after you’re in the FBI and actually screening for HRT, kinda of a glimpse into a “routine” day in the life type thing. Stuff like that.

Seeing your not prior SOF. I am not bureau, but working as a full time TFO for the bureau for the past 11 years. Get hired, after probation join the field office SWAT team, go through SWAT school, be operational for a couple of years and put in for HRT when they open selection.

Seeing your not prior SOF. I am not bureau, but working as a full time TFO for the bureau for the past 11 years. Get hired, after probation join the field office SWAT team, go through SWAT school, be operational for a couple of years and put in for HRT when they open selection.
Is not being prior SOF basically a deal breaker? The website says it’s not necessarily a required pre req but I’ve done my research on HRT. 99% of those dudes if not 100% from what ive seen are former SOF.
Also am I able to join the local SWAT team as a new agent or do I have to have some experience as a field agent before I can apply? Never looked before at the SWAT team.

There are times where the bureau opens up slots for prior SOF/ military, but you still have to go through the agent process, academy, first office..etc...and SOF is not a requirement.

For example, an opening posted is looking for prior law enforcement or military...mentions HRT:

"As an FBI Special Agent with a military or law enforcement background, your tactical skills, leadership, integrity, teamwork and dedication are key. We're looking for detectives, military backgrounds (Special Forces, explosives, WMD, intelligence) and pilots (helicopter and fixed-wing). You may also join the Hostage Rescue Team (HRT), the Special Agent Bomb Tech (SABT) Program and the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team."

Special Agent - Law Enforcement or Military Veteran Background

But, as you can see in usajobs for the bureau...they have several announcements looking for types of backgrounds...ie, Finance, teaching, accounting..etc.

For the local field office SWAT team, you have to be off probation and apply when the field office is filling slots. Believe probation is two years from the start of the academy. Once your on the team, you are the new guy (driving the van/Bearcat) and once a spot opens up for the SWAT basic course they send ya.

Last edited:
Back