FBI HRT

veralib

Unverified
I posted here years ago due to interest in trying out for military SoF, but have since been medically rejected due to deafness in my left ear that occurred suddenly on 10-26-18. I am a 6+yr LEO with a large metropolitan agency and was able to return to patrol, as well as will be trying out for our SWAT team soon, due to getting a cochlear implant.

I came back to this site because last time I was on here there was a mentorship group for FBI HRT and I am looking for insider information about whether or not I could try out for HRT considering my hearing loss. Reviewing the basic FBI hearing standards I am confident I have a good chance at passing the "official" alternate hearing test described on the FBI's website. This is because my audiologist did the same hearing test on me multiple times with good results leading to my ENT providing a strong letter to my department encouraging them to return me to regular duty status.

Seeing that there is no longer an HRT mentorship group I just wanted to reach out to the community in general and see if there was anyone still around with insider info on HRT that would be willing to answer my primary question (above) and possibly other questions depending on the first answer. Thanks!

Welcome. Since you are with a large metro city, have you reached out to the local FBI for their advice? Being LEO making friends with them might help with a lot of insight.

Thanks all for the welcome!

@Devildoc thanks for the article, it is encouraging to see and now the FBI’s website specifically lists an alternate hearing test that specifys it can be done with hearing aids, most likely due to her efforts.
im impressed the military let her in, when I got medically rejected from ROTC I was a contracted cadet,they had sent me to Ft Knox for a month and paid in full with stipend for two semesters of school and i only had two more to go. I was told since i was totally deaf in one ear there was no option for a waver, but it sure makes me wonder if there was and they just didnt want to try...

@LimaPanther thank you, thats a very good point. i kind of want to save contacting the local fbi recruiters for the final step because with the military i had such poor experiences w/ some recruiters both enlisted and rotc that I want to contact them armed with as much first hand knowledge as possible so if it turns out they suck i can push back or find someone else. also i was just wanting to see if there was anyone w/ first hand knowledge of hrt that could give me info specifically abt trying out for their team.

Thanks all for the welcome!

@Devildoc thanks for the article, it is encouraging to see and now the FBI’s website specifically lists an alternate hearing test that specifys it can be done with hearing aids, most likely due to her efforts.
im impressed the military let her in, when I got medically rejected from ROTC I was a contracted cadet,they had sent me to Ft Knox for a month and paid in full with stipend for two semesters of school and i only had two more to go. I was told since i was totally deaf in one ear there was no option for a waver, but it sure makes me wonder if there was and they just didnt want to try...

@LimaPanther thank you, thats a very good point. i kind of want to save contacting the local fbi recruiters for the final step because with the military i had such poor experiences w/ some recruiters both enlisted and rotc that I want to contact them armed with as much first hand knowledge as possible so if it turns out they suck i can push back or find someone else. also i was just wanting to see if there was anyone w/ first hand knowledge of hrt that could give me info specifically abt trying out for their team.

Similar happened to me with kidney stones. Nope. No waiver. Had doctors letters stating it wasn't chronic but due to an old injury. Nope. No waiver. I imagine some how looking back I could've gotten something...

Similar happened to me with kidney stones. Nope. No waiver. Had doctors letters stating it wasn't chronic but due to an old injury. Nope. No waiver. I imagine some how looking back I could've gotten something...
Yep, it is what it is, hopefully I have better luck with the FBI.

Back