Former secret navy facility in NC polluting coast

And old SOSUS site? Pretty cool minus the contamination.

We did some crazy stuff during the Cold War and some of it is still around, particularly up north because they had the lion's share of radar and Nike missile sites.

Side note: I can see a few old Guard/ Reserve facilities around Orlando, but haven't been able to find out what units occupied the buildings. Some are quite obvious too.

We did some crazy stuff during the Cold War and some of it is still around, particularly up north because they had the lion's share of radar and Nike missile sites.

Side note: I can see a few old Guard/ Reserve facilities around Orlando, but haven't been able to find out what units occupied the buildings. Some are quite obvious too.

I love reading about old military sites (minus the contamination, lol). NC is filled with them and they are largely forgotten.

There was an Army NG Nike missile launch facility next to my high school and a radar facility a few miles away. Both shut down by the time I graduated HS. The sites were abandoned.

At night we’d often climb the 30’ steel ladder to the top of the radar facility platform and drink beer up there, under the stars. It was a cool place to hang out.

There was an Army NG Nike missile launch facility next to my high school and a radar facility a few miles away. Both shut down by the time I graduated HS. The sites were abandoned.

At night we’d often climb the 30’ steel ladder to the top of the radar facility platform and drink beer up there, under the stars. It was a cool place to hang out.

I found a recent picture of that old Nike observation tower. This was at the integrated fire control radar facility for the actual missile launch site that was located a mile or so away next to my High School. This was in Connecticut to counter Soviet bombers headed for New York City.

22ddd34349499d2d55fddece83374746.jpg.webp

When I was about 8 or 9, my Dad, who worked for Norden, took me to visit the launch facility when they were conducting drills. The missiles were underground, the big steel doors would swing open and the launchers would rise up and point the missiles skyward. I thought it was cool but it was some serious Cold War shit. I remember hearing big planes at night in bed and wondering if they were on the way to nuke the Big Apple.

Kinda wish they were headed that way now......

Last edited:
Back