Gal completes USMC boot with broken hips, pelvis

Devildoc

Verified Military
Not sure how I feel about it. One, she persevered, embraced the suck. Two, it was foolish, she could have injured herself for life. Three, I'm curious what "accident" made these injuries come about. Four, good on her for pushing through it. What questions I have, they aren't because she's a female.

Monroe 18-year-old graduates Marine boot camp with broken hips, pelvis

Sounds like she may have developed stress fractures from all the rucking. It's something that I remember seeing This article a few years back explaining.

The AMEDD website says about 20% of female recruits develop them from the extra weight of body armor/rucksacks.

I wouldn't be suprised of the accident was just her falling during training/rucking, and that MOI is what finally started to bring about the pain of (possible) stress injuries.

Sounds like she may have developed stress fractures from all the rucking. It's something that I remember seeing This article a few years back explaining.

The AMEDD website says about 20% of female recruits develop them from the extra weight of body armor/rucksacks.

I wouldn't be suprised of the accident was just her falling during training/rucking, and that MOI is what finally started to bring about the pain of (possible) stress injuries.

This is what I am curious about. Bilateral hips and pelvis from a fall, it would have been a big fall. So I wonder if she had underlying pathology (stress fracture, osteo disease, etc) before and the fall tipped it over the edge.

Now changing lanes to my personal opinion of women in infantry (not to mention SOF): yeah, they might be able to make through the schools, and excel doing it. But what kind of longevity will they have in a career field in which men sustain muscoskeletal injuries at a high frequency? My guess is half or less (than men). Time will tell. Give them their shot and follow to see.

Not sure how I feel about it. One, she persevered, embraced the suck. Two, it was foolish, she could have injured herself for life. Three, I'm curious what "accident" made these injuries come about. Four, good on her for pushing through it. What questions I have, they aren't because she's a female.

Monroe 18-year-old graduates Marine boot camp with broken hips, pelvis

Well. We know for a fact that on balance, women's bones are not as strong as men's. Given how easily some of the folks I know in college got stress fractures from things like rucking (men and women). A petite female breaking down like such will likely be far more common as they attend combat arms MOS schools.

Well. We know for a fact that on balance, women's bones are not as strong as men's. Given how easily some of the folks I know in college got stress fractures from things like rucking (men and women). A petite female breaking down like such will likely be far more common as they attend combat arms MOS schools.

You know that. I know that. Science knows that. But until enough females have some longevity and they measure the data, there is a huge population who will continue to say "same as."

See also:

Never let the facts get in the way of the narrative.

Where this gets better is there's now a poster girl for how tough women are and how they can press on through injuries and all. I'd love to check in with this lady in 5, 10, 15 years and see how things are going.

Kind of a sidebar, I had to take some CBT on ergonomics and safety or whatever for work which introduced me to MIL-STD-1472F.
https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsdocdetails.aspx?ident_number=36903

If you go to page 139, TABLE XVII. Maximum design weight limits there are values for Male and Female and Male only. Hmm. No double standard there.

BUT

Go to Revision G, page 205, TABLE XXXVIII. Maximum design weight limits and the values have changed. They still separate male and female vs. male only, but now the values have decreased for both categories. For example, the maximum two-person lift standards have decreased.

By the time Revision H is published the doc has doubled in size to 450 plus pages...You have go to page 417 for TABLE XLI. Maximum design weight limits and there's no provision for one's sex at all, but the values have changed once again. Sooooo, progress?

I could then go down a rabbit hole of thought and philosophy and everything about how today's generation has better nutrition, strength and conditioning, recovery techniques, etc. than "back in the day" for us gray beards. All of that is better so they should be in better shape than we were once up[on a time, but the weight they have to lift is decreased? Yeah, this is kind of an incomplete thought, but I think y'all see where I'm going here.

I was stationed at Fort Huachuca twice. Part of its function is a basic / advanced entry-level training post for the MI branch. When the trainees marched to training there was a main unit, followed by the "fallout platoon" of people who were well enough to do some training but had profiles for being sick or injured. Even in my casual observance as someone not affiliated with enlisted training, it was very obvious that the female representation in the fallout platoon was significantly higher--several times higher--than their representation in the overall unit.

It's not that the women were malingering or lacked motivation. It was just that their bodies couldn't take the requirements of basic training. MI basic training. We're not talking Infantry stuff here. Lots of stress injuries from simple foot marches, and lower extremity injuries from stuff a lot of males could simply shrug off.

This was a long time ago and things could be different now, but I kind of doubt it. Biology doesn't change that dramatically in one generation.

Last edited:
I was stationed at Fort Huachuca twice. Part of its function is a basic / advanced entry-level training post for the MI branch. When the trainees marched to training there was a main unit, followed by the "fallout platoon" of people who were well enough to do some training but had profiles for being sick or injured. Even in my casual observance as someone not affiliated with enlisted training, it was very obvious that the female representation in the fallout platoon was significantly higher--several times higher--than their representation in the overall unit.

It's not that the women were malingering or lacked motivation. It was just that their bodies couldn't take the requirements of basic training. MI basic training. We're not talking Infantry stuff here. Lots of stress injuries from simple foot marches, and lower extremity injuries from stuff a lot of males could simply shrug off.

This was a long time ago and things could be different now, but I kind of doubt it. Biology doesn't change that dramatically in one generation.

As someone who just left Huachuca, your observations are correct.

I'm a firm believer that females entering military service should be provided calcium supplements and have access to resources to be proactive in their self care related to injury prevention.

Seeing 19 year old women getting medically separated due to severe hip injuries kills the vibe man.

While looking for a pic to support my planned smart ass comment about needing “hot pics” to go with your story I happened upon this article…it’s behind a paywall but you get the idea.

The female-only Israeli army role leading too many to suicide

Last month, a female solder serving as a “tatzpitanit” – a role now given only to women that entails hours of closely monitoring surveillance cameras – was hospitalized after attempting suicide.

The military said her suicide attempt had nothing to do with her work and that she was unknown to its mental heath services. It further said that the attempt had taken place while the soldier was home on a weekend leave.

But it was not an unusual case. Soldiers and commanders working in the military’s monitoring apparatus describe grueling conditions for soldiers in this role, leading to a considerable number of suicide attempts. The conditions, they said, result in part from sleep deprivation, shortages of food and services on their base, disrespectful treatment, and arbitrary, harsh punishment.

“Not many people know about the attempted suicide attempts among these observers,” says one female soldier who served in the role before being demobilized recently. “The military stifles this, arguing that these are attempts to get transferred, but where I was there were quite a few attempts over a very short period.”

The distress is apparent in social media posts written by these observers. “I had very high motivation, but I lost that day by day,” wrote one. “I suffer every day, I cry all the time, don’t sleep and don’t eat. I reached a point where I was given mental health leave.”

The nature of the job and the working conditions have led to a situation in which many draftees have no interest. Military figures obtained by Haaretz show that last year, 1,400 candidates were found suitable for the job, but over 900 were already uninterested before their conscription, ignoring it when it was presented to them as an option based on their skills.

While looking for a pic to support my planned smart ass comment about needing “hot pics” to go with your story I happened upon this article…it’s behind a paywall but you get the idea.

The female-only Israeli army role leading too many to suicide

Last month, a female solder serving as a “tatzpitanit” – a role now given only to women that entails hours of closely monitoring surveillance cameras – was hospitalized after attempting suicide.

Their job is to monitor video footage? Not unlike our drone operators?

Back